G-Shock watches

• 4 months later...

I have one similar to the one on the left, and love it. Solar powered and atomic clock syncing. I've owned it for years and never have had to replace a battery or set the time. i replace the band every few years and never think about it otherwise. i wear it everywhere... kayaking, work, play.

I like many of the other comments above have had great success with a atomic G Shock.  The last one I had finally started to go on the blink after 11 or 12 years of daily wear.  It would randomly shut off, stay off for a couple hours then turn back on at random times.  I replaced it with a current version of the same model since I had such good luck with the first one.  It was worn daily for work (commercial construction) and play.  

• Administrator

This thread reminds me... I've got a new G-Shock #GW2310FB-1 that I can't wear because I've got a damn 8.75" wrist, so I need to sell it.   I'll post it up on TGO later this weekend and make someone a smoking deal.  :)

Looks like this:

$(KGrHqV,!qMFJl3-)SFQBScB17IsV!~~60_57.J

All black and stealthy and tacticool.

• 1 month later...
Guest cchelsoi

I bought one in 2003 right before I went to Iraq and it served me well for my entire Marine Corps career, I finally threw it out a few weeks ago after neglecting it for some years and leaving it in storage where the elements finally did a good number on it, the plastic case was crumbling and I didn't feel like it was worth bringing back to life. I do plan to get a new one in the future, solar and with a compass. But I recommend the series 100%.

• Moderators

I just purchased this one about 2 weeks ago and love it:

I paid roughly $85 for it brand new. I will say that it came fully charged. I got it to sync with the tower within minutes and it has not missed a sync a single night since I've got it. It shows "RCVD" in the lower right for each time it synced that morning. If I look at it at 12:01 AM then it does not show RCVD because it typcially syncs around 1:00 AM. I keep mine in "powersave" mode. That turns off the face with it does not see light for a while. If you push a button or bring it into the light, the face turns back on. It just saves a bit of juice but the alarm, sync, etc all continue to work. It's kinda like turning the monitor to your computer off. So far I love mine and it has been my favorite watch I have ever owned. The only thing that would disappoint me is if it does not live up to the hype of 10-20 year battery life or its durability.

I too bought it because I like the idea of long term use without service. However, they do use rechargeable batteries so eventually the battery will go bad. Some people might experience it in 5 years, others might get lucky and go 20+ years. The consensus on the watch forums is if you keep the battery near tipped off it will last longer. If you throw the watch in a drawer for since months and let it die down, that's supposed to be bad for the life of the battery.

I like it. However, for longer "serviceless" use, I think a quality mechanical watch would do well. But it would theoretically become less accurate without servicing. I think that's right. I use TGO more than I do the watch forums;)

As far as pricing, I'd say that's about right for a used one if it works and is cosmetically alright.

EDIT: Ha! Upon checking my Amazon, it was exactly two weeks ago that I purchased it.

EDIT: Exact same watch, "reverse" style:

EDIT: I almost bought this one because it looks awesome. But then I decided I was paying ~$40 extra just for looks.

Very satisfied with what I purchased.

So I've been wearing this watch daily since November and I love it even more. Since it was reasonably cheap, I don't take much care into what I "do" with it. I workout with it, swim with it, shower with it, dunk it in the sink to wash it, etc. I know some of those aren't advised (such as showering with it, the heat, humidity, and soap are supposedly more likely to cause condensation, leakage). So far it looks nearly like a new one. There is some very light scuffage on the resin part of the face. I must have brushed it against a brick wall or something. Other than that is looks great and works perfectly.

I find myself wanting to buy a lot of G-Shocks. But that sort of defeats the purpose of having a G-Shock, doesn't it? Supposedly Apple is coming out with an iWatch soon. I'm sure it will integrate quite well with iOS with notifications and the like. I'll be very tempted to get one but don't know if I could get used to not having my G-Shock.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

So I replaced my GW-6900 yesterday. While I love this watch, I wanted something a bit smaller form factor. What did I replace it with?

The "square" GWM5610-1!

It's a bit smaller, seems more comfortable, and does pretty much all that the 6900 did. It has "tough solar" and "Multi- Band 6", both of which I very much love now. It was neat manually syncing it yesterday to the radio signal and then looking at both the old and new watch be in *perfect synchronization. Sweet!

So far I can tell I'm going to love this watch even more than the other.

GWM5610-1_xlarge.png

So I replaced my GW-6900 yesterday. While I love this watch, I wanted something a bit smaller form factor. What did I replace it with?

The "square" GWM5610-1!

It's a bit smaller, seems more comfortable, and does pretty much all that the 6900 did. It has "tough solar" and "Multi- Band 6", both of which I very much love now. It was neat manually syncing it yesterday to the radio signal and then looking at both the old and new watch be in *perfect synchronization. Sweet!

So far I can tell I'm going to love this watch even more than the other.

GWM5610-1_xlarge.png

Funny some guy has a GW-6900 posted for sale on here too. :cool:

I like the square look myself. If I ever get another one it will be square.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, I got my money's worth out of two Fossil watches (15 years+) and needed a new one. I've never owned a G-Shock, last Casio I owned had a little calculator with keys on the face :)

Anyway, picked up a GWM500A-1 and after reading the little book, have the basics figured out (I think). If I can't figure it out, I'll let my 10 year old play with it for 5 minutes and she'll be able to help me :rofl:

But it seems really nice, and I liked the band on this one more than the cheaper ones. Although I haven't used a non-metal with folding clasp since I was in high school. I'm loving it already!

20150403_160316_zps1pvu9man.jpg

Edited by rugerla1