G-Shock watches

I have a Gshock that was given to me by a friend that is a SEAL,  I commented on his one day and the next he brought me one, still in the military issue packaging...  I figure if it is good enough for them...

I wear this Seiko Automatic every day.  It has never failed.  And when the nanotech is finally turned on, it won't shut off either.

seiko-skx009-divers-watch-3.jpg

Like Mr. Lahey here, I also have been wearing Seiko automatics for years, my girlfriend bought me an "Orange Monster" in November and it hasn't left my wrist once. It keeps better time than my 500 dollar Hamilton and my brother's Rolex.
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I got my money's worth out of two Fossil watches (15 years+) and needed a new one. I've never owned a G-Shock, last Casio I owned had a little calculator with keys on the face :)

Anyway, picked up a GWM500A-1 and after reading the little book, have the basics figured out (I think). If I can't figure it out, I'll let my 10 year old play with it for 5 minutes and she'll be able to help me :rofl:

But it seems really nice, and I liked the band on this one more than the cheaper ones. Although I haven't used a non-metal with folding clasp since I was in high school. I'm loving it already!

20150403_160316_zps1pvu9man.jpg

I have had that same watch for probably ten years now. Never once had to change a battery or set the time. I think I've replaced the band twice now. the band holds up well, but the small band you tuck the tail into is what breaks. Its always cool to see the time change at exactly the same time as other things that use the atomic clock to sync with, like the servers at work, or the Comcast box

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Moderators

I've been meaning to do this for a while, I finally found time this weekend!

I wanted to write an updated review to my favorite watch of all time, the GWM5610-1.

I purchased this watch on September 30th, 2014. I've worn it practically everyday since. With the exception of where I suspected a brick wall took a very small gash out of the resin above the letter "T" in "PROTECTION" at the top, it basically looks brand new in my opinion. Now once have I ever looked at the watch and seen that the battery status has not been on "H" for High. Depending on where I leave it at night, it may or may not have the letters "RCVD", stating that it has received the atomic time signal the previous night. This morning it shows that it did.

I've swam and showered while wearing this watch, so that's testament to its water durability.

Its form factor is perfect, large enough to show everything neatly on the screen but small enough to not feel like you have Big Ben strapped to your arm. Weight? It is like it isn't there. Some people like heavy watches; The heavier the better. I like a light watch, one that I simply and completely forget I'm wearing until I need to check the time.

By far without question this is my favorite watch that I have ever owned. If I lost or broke it I would replace it without question with an identical model. For under $100 you get solar, atomic timekeeping, and the general reassurance that you are daily paying tribute to classic 90's movies such as Speed.

cap002.jpg
(The watch in the movie was the classic 5600, basically the 5610 is the same form factor but with updated internals.)

wxWGhi7.jpg

Casio Men's GWM5610-1 for Under $100

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

What would y'all opinion be on this G Shock?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLLFWJ4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3GAMX5NFKCSAZ&coliid=I26QKZUYG4NHEJ

Well if you like it then that is what matters to you. What I love about my watch that I posted above is that it is under $100. Perfectly functional, if I lose it or it gets stolen I'm not devastated, and I have $500 to spend on something else cool. In my opinion an expensive G-Shock is like a Mosin that has $500 extra in it. A $600 Mosin that shoots like a $100 Mosin is in the same ballpark as a $600 G-Shock that tells time just as good as a $100 G-Shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used a Seiko automatic for over ten years.  It goes everywhere I go, over 100 ft dives or chemical plants.  It has got  a few scratches over the years but keeps running.

After 3 years my Tag Heuer needs a new battery.  Guess it's time to have the crystal replaced on the Seiko as well.

Man, didn't realize that Casio G-Shock had an Eddie Bauer edition :stare: .  The majority of my watches have been under a hundred, my first expensive one, a citizen, was smashed by a connector link on a parachute jump.  That was in the late 80s, my next expensive one was in 02, my wife purchased a Suunto, we traded that one in, an aviator version, for one that had ground use.  I now wear another Suunto, a cheaper one I got in trade since my other one died (black screen).  In between I wore G-Shocks, two of which are still ticking in a drawer.  The ones that failed, were not due to the watch but the activity; army life is tough on electronics.  If/when this one dies, I'll pull one of the other two out of the drawer.

• 10 months later...

Mother-in-law gave me a Amazon gift card for Christmas this year.  After laboring for a couple of days, decided to buy a new watch.  I already had a another G-Shock, a simple G100-1BV.  So I purchased another simple watch, but a little larger and black/black, a GA100-1A1.  I thought it good deal, and it is large, not a microwave on my wrist large, but when compared to my other watch, large.  These are very cool watches. 

CASIO%20ga100-1a1_zpsxoelavp2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Made my first Gshock watch purchase. I'm not sure yet if I like it as it's a pretty good size watch. I do like he barometric, altitude and temperature functions it has. 

Heres what I purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1AQFZ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also I made a second purchase tonight based on many reviews and the reliability of this watch. I'm sure hoping it's not near as large as my first purchase. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WPUU0U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators

So I must admit for the previous few years I've been sporting an Apple Watch of various models. However, the above watch advertisement via Instagram instantly made me search it out and make a purchase. I know it probably isn't for everyone but to me that is one very attractive timepiece. I'll probably end up selling (and regretting) my Apple Watch in the upcoming few days. I'm going to try to go back to a "normal" watch and see how far I get.

And if the "Cyberpunk" theme of the above watch doesn't do it for you, they have "normal" editions as well.

GA2100-1A1_hd.png

I love automatics. My budget restricts me to Seiko similar quality offerings. The biggest problem I have is they do not seem to love me.

Still have a little Seiko Sport that is solid but small for my taste and is not well regulated (gains several minutes over the course of a day). It is also showing its age.
I bought a really nice Grand Seiko, my first real watch splurge, and had if for a number of years until it was stolen.
I have a nice PVD Seiko Diver that is non-op due to what I think is a broken spring. I could probably replace it for what it would cost to have it checked and repaired. 
Someone bought me and Invicta automatic diver. It is a bit big and clunky but otherwise ok. Has a broken band link currently. 

Last year I went back to a digital watch. I am currently daily wearing a Suunto Core all black. So far I like it. Altimeter/Barometer and Compass are nice but only moderately useful. It has been comfortable even though it is large. It has been reliable and has held up well. 

suunto-core-all-black-504.thumb.jpg.1eaf225ec7390150d4f00eca6aab9d30.jpg

Edited by OldIronFan

I love my apple watch.  I'd like to get a newer one but series 3 is it for now lol.  I got a G-Shock when I went to Iraq and another when I went to Afghanistan.  Still have both.  The Iraq one's rubber outer sleeve crumbled I noticed recently but they have replacements that can be bought.

• Moderators

Well folks, I already know that I'll miss-out on Apple Pay from my watch as well as unlocking my Mac and compatible programs (such as a a password manager). If I go a few weeks and miss it I will probably upgrade to the Series 7. For now, I'm really, really looking forward to getting this new G-Shock.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I despise smart watches. I wear a watch as a timepiece, not another electronic device. I’ve considered a G-Shock more than once, but I can’t seem to get away from my Citizens and Bulovas. 

Though this thread inspired me to look and I think I might’ve actually found one I that’s perfect for me. 

spacer.png

https://www.jared.com/casio-gshock-gsteel-mens-watch-gstb100d1a/p/V-321119707

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I despise smart watches. I wear a watch as a timepiece, not another electronic device. I’ve considered a G-Shock more than once, but I can’t seem to get away from my Citizens and Bulovas. 

Though this thread inspired me to look and I think I might’ve actually found one I that’s perfect for me. 

spacer.png

That’s pretty sweet. 

• Like 1

My side gig is repairing/restoring vintage watches, primarily automatics, with a few excursions into quartz watches. The G-Shocks are great, reliable watches with a real hardcore following. This is a photo of an early 1980’s Heuer diver before Heuer, a watch company dating back to the late 1800’s, was acquired by Tag and rebranded/marketed worldwide as Tag Heuer  

CF2EAEE9-BE2B-437C-BE4F-3CE3E26DEC6D.jpeg

Edited by i1afli
  • Like 3
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

spacer.png

My friend, that has Bluetooth. That's essentially a Smartwatch!

1 hour ago, kvmx00 said:

I have no interest in a smart watch.  I just want a timepiece, one that I don't need to change the battery and with my two favorite G-Shocks, I don't have to set the time, they even adjust for daylight savings.  20211213_205500.thumb.jpg.993d6bcc36774e89954df3208b14642a.jpg

Not familiar with the one of the left, but that 5610 (I think) is my all-time favorite. I still have mine sitting in my cabinet. It's what I've been wearing other than my Apple Watch, but only for "extreme use".

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, i1afli said:

My side gig is repairing/restoring vintage watches, primarily automatics, with a few excursions into quartz watches. The G-Shocks are great, reliable watches with a real hardcore following. This is a photo of an early 1980’s Heuer diver before Heuer, a watch company dating back to the late 1800’s, was acquired by Tag and rebranded/marketed worldwide as Tag Heuer  

CF2EAEE9-BE2B-437C-BE4F-3CE3E26DEC6D.jpeg

Love that Heuer. They have always been one of my favorite watches.