2014 Off Season Support Group Deer Season Thread

This weekend was the first time I've been able to get out this year.  Between work and being 150+ miles from my good hunting spots I've been a little late.  Picked up a box of Remmington Scirocco 130g .270 because that was the only box Walmart had when I went shopping Thursday morning and I wasn't in the mood to shop around, more on that later.  Hit the woods Saturday morning and had 3 does before 7:30, Sunday I took a new hunter out and let her use my rifle, I didn't even carry one, she got her first 2 deer before 8:00 in the same spot, so it was a very productive weekend. 

More on ammo, I knew that I was about to the end of my supply of my Winchester Silvertips, which are my favorite bullet so I wanted to pick up some more before I headed out of town.  Figured I'd give the Sciroccos a shot since that was my only choice.  If you are a trophy hunter by all means this is probably a great bullet for you.  My complaint is that it tears up meat bad!  On one of the does I took, I took a shot with the deer quartering slightly towards me.  I hit just behind the shoulder and the bullet about ruined an entire rear quarter.  On another deer the shot was in the same place quartering away and I took out the opposite side shoulder, same on the third.  My hunting buddy, using the same gun shot a little high on both of her deer and got them in the spine, ruining all tenderloins and most of the backstrap on both deer.  Of the 5 deer 3 flopped and the other 2 ran less than 20 yards.  I'm thinking I'm going to stick the remainder of this box in my inventory and pick up some more Silvertips, I'm in it for the meat!  The Silvertips or any other round that I have used have not torn up meat nearly this bad, most of the time none is even wasted.

I was gifted a Savage .223 bolt action Sunday morning, I'm anxious to get it sighted in and I'm going to try to take a deer with it this season.

• Like 1

I sat and watched him for well over an hour at about 120 yards and was going to give him a pass with the rifle, but he stupidly started following a doe and came within pistol range of about 45 yards. One shot with the Ruger GP100 357, and about 30 yards later, the chase was over.

[URL=http://s350.photobucket.com/user/graydw1/media/8%20point%20pistol/PRMS0115_zpsd6a2d3f6.jpg.html]PRMS0115_zpsd6a2d3f6.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s350.photobucket.com/user/graydw1/media/8%20point%20pistol/PRMS0556_zps278e3ae8.jpg.html]PRMS0556_zps278e3ae8.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s350.photobucket.com/user/graydw1/media/8%20point%20pistol/DSCN0557_zps3f671421.jpg.html]DSCN0557_zps3f671421.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s350.photobucket.com/user/graydw1/media/8%20point%20pistol/1a231f6c-78ab-4ea8-9ff0-f04d04484369_zpsd8720500.jpg.html]1a231f6c-78ab-4ea8-9ff0-f04d04484369_zps[/URL]

• Like 6
I've noticed the deer seem to be moving out in the open about an hour after legal light so I have moved into the woods a ways to see if I can catch them stalled out waiting for dark. Guess we'll see if it works. Of course it's already pretty dark in here.
Guest Bonedaddy

I finally get the chance to go and after takin' the grandson to school, I see two does standin' in a foggy field, not far from my blind 'bout 7:15 and thought,  cool...I might just catch one comin' to drink this mornin'. Nope. Nothin', unless ya count bookoos of tree rats. Don't hafta take'm tomorrow so maybe gettin' there a little earlier might help. The bad thing 'bout these farm country deer is that they roam a ways and it might be days before they visit a particular area, again. Hopin' for some luck.

I've noticed the deer seem to be moving out in the open about an hour after legal light so I have moved into the woods a ways to see if I can catch them stalled out waiting for dark. Guess we'll see if it works. Of course it's already pretty dark in here.

Well, I was right. About 30min before dark a small racked 6 came through right under me. He stopped and tended to a rub and a scrape and headed on off. I waited until it was about to dark to see in the woods and started to climb down. What a mistake it was not waiting another 5 minutes, as soon as that stand made a noise I heard a blow and looked up to see a very shootable racked buck run down the hill and away. He was as straight behind the tree my back was against as he could get and I guess my eyes didn't pick him up when I did my final scan before leaving. Hopefully I can get way on up the trail and catch him earlier on, although he may not come through there for a bit now.
I went out yesterday at noon, stayed till too dark to shoot. Walking to my truck I see 8-10 deer eating behind the house <insert mad face>. Today, went out at noon again but didn't see anything, even behind the house. Going out in the morning to try again.

I went out yesterday at noon, stayed till too dark to shoot. Walking to my truck I see 8-10 deer eating behind the house <insert mad face>. Today, went out at noon again but didn't see anything, even behind the house. Going out in the morning to try again.

Are you sure we're not kin? Cause that's the same luck I have and I just don't see where it's possible that 2 bloodlines have that kinda luck. Good luck in the a.m.
  • Like 1

Are you sure we're not kin? Cause that's the same luck I have and I just don't see where it's possible that 2 bloodlines have that kinda luck. Good luck in the a.m.

Lol Funny you should say that, my little brothers name is Luke, so you may be my other brother haha! I've gotten used to stuff like this, I just shrug and say "Really? Again?" :lol:
Oh, and thanks, good luck to you as well. Edited by rugerla1

Nice buck Graydw. and congrats on taking him with the handgun.

I've taken three this year so, two does and one of the scrubs that we've been weeding out the past couple years.

Now I fixing to do a little handgun hunting, got a pretty decent 8 pointer running around, so maybe I'll get a chance at him.

Lol Funny you should say that, my little brothers name is Luke, so you may be my other brother haha! I've gotten used to stuff like this, I just shrug and say "Really? Again?" :lol:
Oh, and thanks, good luck to you as well.

Never know I guess.

I am going to take a break this weekend.  Watch the SEC championship, get some things done around the house, be with the wife.  I have gotten 4 this year so far passed on several others.  I think at this point I will just help a few of my buddies get a deer or maybe hunt for one myself, but shooting them with my bow or a pistol.  It looks like we will meet our harvest objective this year so at this point, I can be more selective.  

• Like 3

I sure hate being cold but I wish we would get a couple nights of frost. The deer sure seem to be moving in the dark here for the most part.

I was just thinking the same thing this morning. I'm sweating from walking back to my dang truck. Oh well, I'm going to get some food and head back out and hope for a loner to come strolling through.
  • Like 1

I was just thinking the same thing this morning. I'm sweating from walking back to my dang truck. Oh well, I'm going to get some food and head back out and hope for a loner to come strolling through.

I had planned on staying out until about now and then going back out around 1:30 and staying through dark but we had a software problem in New York so it looks like instead of hunting today and tomorrow I will be riding the computer.

I'm sure some of you are checking your deer online.  This is the first year since the online check in that I have taken multiple deer at once.  (Unit L)  I couldn't figure out if I had to go through the process with each deer or just tag one?