My M&P Shield nightmare.

mav

In the last 3 years I've purchased an M&P pro in 9, a M&P 40, and a shield in 9. Not one hic-cup out of any of them. I do hose a new gun out with a half a can of wd-40 and grease everything up with synthetic grease before I shoot it.  

Oh I don't know about that..........
SIG_Sauer_P229_Pistol_27488.jpg

:devil:  :stir:

Seriously? I could go buy 6 mags and an assortment of parts that I wouldn't need anyway for what it would cost you to buy 3 mags for a Sig. If you had posted a Glock 23 saying it beat a Glock 19, I would have given it to you.

I'm picking up mine from my FFL Monday. I'll add my range report once I'm done.

I finally got an opportuninty to get to the range for a short session today- short because my fingers almost froze off.

After picking it up, I gave it a good cleaning, per the manual, and put about 75 rounds throught it today with no issues. :shrug:

Wish I had someone close who was sick of their Shield.  The only one I shot impressed me.  After Sandy Hook I unloaded all my excess firearm freight at pre Sandy Hook prices just because.  I kept 3 Glock 9mms, all 3rd Gen: 26, 19, 17, also kept my venerable Keltec 32.  The Sigs, revolvers, long slide Glocks, 1911s all gone, squeezing the practical essence out of my little accumulation.  As a S&W M&P Armorer I would love to see a troublesome Shield just to fiddle with it.  If you are in the Clarksville area and you have had trouble with your Shield contact me via pm. I would like to examine your pistol for the fun of it. As a note: If you are having trouble with a 3d Gen Glock you probably should forego handguns and get a human body guard who carries a Glock.

• Like 2
Guest TresOsos

Hmmm, the one my wife uses, has been flawless thru several hundred rounds.

Not the first problem and lot more accurate than I expected for its size.

Only thing was done was it was cleaned and lube before it was shot the first time.

And is cleaned and lubed after each range trip.

My friend and his wife each just got one in .40 and 9mm respectively. I was joking with her how guys "have" to get .40 then complain about ammo prices. She said he was complaining about it while walking out lol. Anyway both of theirs have been flawless.

Any man made product can have a defect but I would encourage you to contact the manufacturer and post how it's handled first. Give them a fair chance to make it right . Edited by Kopis

I just bought one for my wife last week and have now put about 150 rounds through it without a single misstep. I did notice in another thread here and a few other forums that the Shield 9mm didn't like 115gr loads for the 1st hundred or so rounds but all reported that they ran just fine after that break in. I was running light to mid strength handloads and like I said, no issues at all.

While I have already contacted S&W several days ago, I am gonna really clean up the gun this evening and take it out tomorrow to see what happens.  The light primer strikes are what really has me puzzled.

While I have already contacted S&W several days ago, I am gonna really clean up the gun this evening and take it out tomorrow to see what happens.  The light primer strikes are what really has me puzzled.

They didn't email you a shipping label?

I'm not sure if that's something to brag about... :wave:

If I had to send 2 of my Glocks back I'd be making a switch.

That may be true, but the number of guns you have owned you can count on one hand. I’ve sent back in exactly 2 Smith & Wesson’s, but then I’ve been carrying and shooting them for over 40 years and have owned over a hundred easily. Not bad odds would you say?

What kind of Glock do you have that no one has had problems with? If I remember right the last time you jumped into a thread bad mouthing the M&P you made references that pertained to the Sigma. Have you owned any M&P’s?

What kind of Glock do you have that no one has had problems with? If I remember right the last time you jumped into a thread bad mouthing the M&P you made references that pertained to the Sigma. Have you owned any M&P’s?

The M&P's are fine, I believe the last time it was brought up that I said they were a copy of Glock with no real advantages. Oh, and watching Hickok45's video where his M&P has a cracked slide was interesting. If I didn't like Glocks I'd probably pick up an M&P or another XD. I just don't see any advantages over the Glock. The only argument that has any value is that M&P's are made in America. Now that Glocks are being made and sold in the US that advantage really doesn't have any merit. 

Got a few more results today.  I took two hundred rounds with me to the range (100 rds Blazer & 100 rds PMC Bronze).  I do realize that none of that ammo is not top-notch quality, but I have shot a ton of both with very little issues.  Here are the results:

First 50 rounds Bronze:

7 light primer strikes

1 failure to lock back on empty

Second 50 rounds Bronze:

5 light primer strikes

no failures to lock back on empty

Third 50 rounds (Blazer):

3 light primer strikes

Fourth 50 rounds (Blazer):

1 light primer strike

The results have improved, but they are still terrible.  Out of 280 rounds, I have had 38 failures (13.57%).  Abysmal.

(edit)  -  On a positive note, the gun, when it does shoot, is fantastic and surprisingly accurate.

Edited by mav
Well at least it has gotten better ... If that pattern continues the next 50 should be flawless :-)

Either way I know where you are coming from it should work out of the box but maybe the one you got needed a "break in" ...

Send it back Edited by mcordell

Got a few more results today.  I took two hundred rounds with me to the range (100 rds Blazer & 100 rds PMC Bronze).  I do realize that none of that ammo is not top-notch quality, but I have shot a ton of both with very little issues.  Here are the results:

First 50 rounds Bronze:

7 light primer strikes

Second 50 rounds Bronze:

5 light primer strikes

Third 50 rounds (Blazer):

3 light primer strikes

Fourth 50 rounds (Blazer):

1 light primer strike

The results have improved, but they are still terrible.  Out of 280 rounds, I have had 38 failures (13.57%).  Abysmal.

(edit)  -  On a positive note, the gun, when it does shoot, is fantastic and surprisingly accurate.

You need to send that thing back, Mav. You got one that should have never made it out of there. 

Well...To continue the Shield saga... 

I got rid of the other Shield I had, and think that may have been a mistake.  While my girlfriend likes the G19, I think she likes the Shield a little better.  I got really lucky that a new one popped up on the classifieds, and I bought it.  I will take it to the range tomorrow and see how it goes.  If everything goes well, I will take my girlfriend to the range with both the G19 and Shield.  I will let her make the determination as to which one she likes best.  :)

Range results on the new Shield I purchased yesterday:

I had just 2 failures out of 100 rounds.  Both failures were not locking back on empty.  I am not overly concerned with that because the recoil spring is a bit tight, and I am using cheap and underpowered Blazer and PMC Bronze ammo.  After a hundred or so more rounds, that problem should be eliminated.  The gun is good enough that I will offer it as an option to my girlfriend. :)