Becker BK2

I've been thinking about picking up a BK2. I love the way they look with the finish stripped and a forced patina. I found one today that had already been done plus had a set of G10 scales from the Knife Connection on it. Not a great pic but the only one I have right now.

BK2_zpsbae56fe1.jpg

• Like 1

The BK2 is a beast.It is too thick to baton well and too short to be an effective chopper.The BK10 is a much better choice if someone wants a short fixed blade.the same length and basic shape of the 2 but not as thick or heavy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a handmade leather sheath for the BK2 and it showed up today. Went with a vertical only style. The guy did a really nice job on it. Antiqued tan finish with a removable dangler loop.

Not so great cell phone pics
Posted Image
Posted Image

I love dangler style sheaths. Looks great!

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

• Like 1

I've used the BK2 quite a bit and the finish that was on it when I got it was starting to get worn in a few spots. I had sanded it down some but wasn't happy with the way it looked. Decided last night to sand it again and give it an apple cider vinegar and mustard patina. Might not be everybody's thing but I like the way it turned out.

DSC01048_zps869819f0.jpg

Guest Bonedaddy

I have a BK11 with Kydex sheath that I wear as a neck knife. I really like the thing and I don't have any scales or paracord wrap on the handle. I used the black paracord that came with it to hang it just above waste high under my shirt for a quick grab, if needed. It's thick 'nuff for most stuff, yet, light. Would like a BK2 and a Magnum Camp Knife, also.

• 1 month later...

[quote name="jimmydeuce" post="1079932" timestamp="1387236630"]I've used the BK2 quite a bit and the finish that was on it when I got it was starting to get worn in a few spots. I had sanded it down some but wasn't happy with the way it looked. Decided last night to sand it again and give it an apple cider vinegar and mustard patina. Might not be everybody's thing but I like the way it turned out. DSC01048_zps869819f0.jpg[/quote] Nice very nice. I need the recipe for that mix that you used. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Don't really have a recipe.

The original finish had already been removed but I usually use Citristrip. Works great and safe to use indoors.

First I heat the apple cider vinegar to almost a boil. Soaked the entire knife for 20 min (didn't want it to get too dark) then used steel wool to sand the patina down a little.

Next I mixed the ac vinegar and mustard together. As far as how much....I like it a little thicker so I use 1 part vinegar to 2 parts mustard. Just used a balled up paper towel to apply it to the blade. Took another paper towel, poured some of the mixture on it and loosely wrapped it around the knife. Let it sit for an hour and 45 minutes then cleaned and very lightly sanded with steel wool again just to blend the patina a little.

Hard to go wrong. The toughest thing was getting a patina pattern I liked. The good thing is you can sand it off if you don't like it. Hope I made sense.

Edit:

You probably know this but if you put the mixture on the blade really thick you won't get any patina under it. The thinner you apply it the more patina. I went thick on some spots, thin on others and left some spots bare since I had already darkened it with the apple cider vinegar.

Edited by jimmydeuce

Here's mine (back before Christmas), right out of the box and after I replaced the original scales with some Cocobolo wood grips I'd purchased off eBay.
I've also ordered a leather sheath from here:
http://www.sagewoodgear.com/

Keep in mind, it takes 6-8 weeks to get a Sagewood Gear after you order on line.
I ordered mine the day after Christmas and won't get it for a few more weeks.
Pictures to come when I get it.

2013-12-23195408_zps7c0d92d8.jpg

2013-12-23195423_zpsec5c36a5.jpg