I lied to a guy today.

gregintenn

I was in the process of buying a truck from a guy, and  I told him "I'll take it". He filled out the back of the title, and I wrote the check. When we went to trade, I noticed two big words on the title; "Rebuilt Title".

Now I take pride in being a man of my word, and I feel really bad for crawfishing on the guy, but he never mentioned this before, and there is absolutely no evidence of body work on the truck.

Since I agreed to buy it and didn't, did I do this guy wrong? I feel torn about it. Not sure I did the right thing, but I also feel he misrepresented the truck by omission.

Sounds reasonable enough to me, if he wasn't going to be honest with you, no reason for you to be honorable with him. Not saying you shouldn't always try to the best of your abilities to use your moral compass BUT this is one of those cases where you were in the right by going back on a deal, could've screwed you out some cold hard cash my friend and you DO NOT mess with another mans money.

a vehicle with a rebuilt title has been totaled by an insurance company. if there is no indication of body damage repair it may have been under water somewhere. you definitely don't want a vehicle that has been flooded. the rebuilt title should have been the first thing a seller should make known. I would have done the same thing.

• Like 3

Most ads that I see on CL will state whether it has a rebuilt title or not. Ditto, he should have been upfront with you. Blow it off.

I had an incident that I feel torn about too. I was filling my truck up and a pretty well dressed 20 something blonde came up and said she was broke and needed money. She defiantly didn't look broke but I gave in and gave her $5. I later saw what she was driving, a new Suburban.  :wall:  That's something to be torn about.

• Like 1

Most ads that I see on CL will state whether it has a rebuilt title or not. Ditto, he should have been upfront with you. Blow it off.

I had an incident that I feel torn about too. I was filling my truck up and a pretty well dressed 20 something blonde came up and said she was broke and needed money. She defiantly didn't look broke but I gave in and gave her $5. I later saw what she was driving, a new Suburban.  :wall:  That's something to be torn about.

You know they have clubs for that sorta thing... lol ;)

• Like 1
I wouldn't feel bad, he should have told you. I have had a similar incident, I was selling a friends truck that was a 96 F-250 Power Stroke for 2500. This was 3 years ago and right before he was ready to pay I mentioned it had a salvaged title, as old as it was and as much damage was already on the truck I didn't feel it was necessary to include it from the beginning. He passed and called back wanting it the next day after it had already sold.

I was in the process of buying a truck from a guy, and  I told him "I'll take it". He filled out the back of the title, and I wrote the check. When we went to trade, I noticed two big words on the title; "Rebuilt Title".

Now I take pride in being a man of my word, and I feel really bad for crawfishing on the guy, but he never mentioned this before, and there is absolutely no evidence of body work on the truck.

Since I agreed to buy it and didn't, did I do this guy wrong? I feel torn about it. Not sure I did the right thing, but I also feel he misrepresented the truck by omission.

He was slow giving you all the information. and you were slow making your final decision because of it. Don't lose one minute of sleep over it.

Someone needs to come up with something that prints up looking something like a $20 but actually reads "Do you think I was born yesterday?" or somesuch.

You didn't lie gregintenn, the seller did. 

My daughter went to look at a car about two months ago, drove 50 miles one way, tried it out and luckily she took her fiance with her. He raised the hood and said "uh oh, there's something wrong here, the sheet metal under the hood has been all bent up." They asked if it had been wrecked. He said "yes but it has been repaired." Does it have a Rebuilt Title, "uh no, yes, maybe." They left. Turns out with a little research he works for a pay at the lot car dealer. Bought the car from the dealer so he could sell it with a rebuilt title. 

Just out of curiosity did your guy maybe have a Middle Eastern background, cause this guy did. 

It wasn't a salesman. It was a private party seller. I didn't think about it being a flood. That makes sense. He gave some story about the guy he bought it from damaging and replacing the front bumper and grille, and said there was a chance the title may come back that way. That doesn't really add up now that I think about it.

It was a fairly nice little truck for the money, and my teenage son was heartbroken; it was to be his first wheels.

Guest RebelCowboySnB

I have ran in to that over the years. I buy a lot in Tn an a lot of people like to try to pass those off. If you buy one of those an bring it to Ga you might as well take it to scrap. You might as well have got it without a title cause the crap dealer is the only person in the state that will treat it like a normal title an he would take it anyway if you sign a paper saying where you got it.

In Ga a salvage title means it has never been fixed. You have to jump threw hoops to show it has been fixed right with receipts for the parts an then the state has to inspect it. At that point you get a clean title an can tag it.

I have known more than one person who though they got a deal till they got to the tag office.

The other side of that though is that once it has been threw Ga's proses the title no longer tells you that it is a rebuild.

Edited by RebelCowboySnB