Any .22 Hornet Reloaders on Here?

I went back 15 pages, and couldn't find any post on reloading .22 Hornet, so I hope I'm not duplicating and thread. If so, moderators please move my post to the proper thread or delete it.

I'm not new at reloading, but have never reloaded something as small as the .22 Hornet. So, I'm trying to get started off right, and have a few questions. I've done some research, and found out some information, but hoped other .22 Hornet re-loaders would talk about their "experience" with this interesting little cartridge. Here's some of my questions to get us started:

1. Do you use small rifle primers, or small pistol primers?

2. What powder do you use?

3. What are you shooting your rounds from?

4. What is a good range to count on, in yards, in real woods hunting situations?

5. What game do you use the .22 Hornet for hunting?

6. What do you figure it's costing per round to reload?

7. Where do you get your brass?

8. Do they make 'bottle-neck" dies in carbide...such as the .22 Hornet?

9. Do you "full length" re-size every time ?

10. What are your dos and don'ts about re-loading the .22 Hornet?

Thanks for your time.

Sidewinder,

It's not one of my high volume calibers, but I do load some for Hornet.

1. Do you use small rifle primers, or small pistol primers?  Small Rifle, standard 6 1/2 type, not magnum or AR spec

2. What powder do you use?  296

3. What are you shooting your rounds from?  pre 64 Model 70 and T/C Contender

4. What is a good range to count on, in yards, in real woods hunting situations?  ~150, my longest confirmed was a woodchuck at 225 yds, held a foot over it and was lucky

5. What game do you use the .22 Hornet for hunting? see 4

6. What do you figure it's costing per round to reload? cheaper than factory

7. Where do you get your brass?  Currently, Hornady factory ammo

8. Do they make 'bottle-neck" dies in carbide...such as the .22 Hornet?  There are carbide bottleneck rifle dies (Dillon for one).  You still MUST lubricate cases.  I've never seen carbide Hornet dies.

9. Do you "full length" re-size every time ? No, both mine will close on neck sized rounds

10. What are your dos and don'ts about re-loading the .22 Hornet?  Brass is thin and easy to crunch.  Check your cases, I had one lot of US made cases where none of the flashholes were centered in the case.  If you can get RWS brass it's excellent but pricey.

Edited by Dave Shooter

I used to load for one I had in a NEF. Was a fun gun to shoot. I loaded mine with Realoader7, but that is about all I remember other than keep plenty brass. They are easily crushed in any step of the loading process. They have pretty thin walls.

Edited by xd shooter

Thanks guys, for all the Hornet information. I checked "new brass" and it seems to be running about 31 cents a round! I bought a pound of Lil' Gun, and figured I'd start with that. I think my 10" .22 Hornet Contender barrel is 1:12 twist. Also, I thought I'd start with small pistol primers, as I heard that they are a little more gentle on the brass. I'll have to figure out a "paper bullet" and a "hunting bullet" in weight and design. Most of the loaded ammo that I've bought has been semi jacketed soft point in 45 grains. Should get my dies by Wednesday...let the fun begin!

• Like 1

I am nearing retirement and planning to begin reloading.  One of the cartridges in which I am interested is the .22 Hornet.  The thin case issue and sensitivity to large pressure increases with small charge weight increases for near max loads has eliminated it as my first cartridge to reload.  I am very interested in your experiences in reloading Hornet and ask that you consider posting those experiences on TNGO.

Sidewinder:  I think the hornet/contender combo is the best 22 caliber centerfire TC set up ya can have... Would love to have one myself...A one in 12 twist is just right for the lighter 22 bullets like the 45 to 52 grainers...Like Pinus said; let us know how this one works out...

My only experience with a hornet wuz an anschutz sporter a buddy of mine had... As i remember, it wuz a box magazine fed rifle with iron peep sights... It wuz undoubtedly one of the best 22 cf rifle ive ever shot---includin our beloved remington 700 varmiter in 222... They are relatively quiet and deadly accurate... It seems to me that he used 45 grainers and 2400 in his...  It's been a long time ago...

Let us know how this works out...

leroy

I got a knock at the door...and wa-la... my .22 Hornet dies arrived today. These are a RCBS F L .22 Hornet 2 die set.

Pinus, welcome to the retiree world and reloading. What will you be shooting your reloaded rounds through? You revealed a serious air of caution in considering the .22 Hornet for reloading...and that's good... do that on "any" round you're reloading. I'm new to the Hornet, but not to reloading. Maybe I can use an analogy to nudge you not to give up on the .22 Hornet as your first cartridge for reloading.

I taught other people to fly for years, and some of the "training" aircraft were less forgiving than others. But, the up side of that was, that the less forgiving aircraft usually made the student a much better pilot. Possibly the .22 Hornet could make a new re-loader a much better re-loader.

Leroy, thanks for the vote of confidence in the .22 Hornet-Contender hook up. For me, performance in the woods and field is the final test to see how the complete package works. I like the flexibility of the re-loads in the .22 Hornet, and think I am going to like it very much.

As I try loads offered by the "authorized" manufacturer's data, and well established loading manuals, I'll post the results. For now, I'll be shooting from a 10" barrel.

I was looking through the .22 Hornet loading data in my old Lyman and Speer manuals (Lyman 44th Ed. from the '60s & Speer Number 7 also from the '60s) tonight. Back then, they were calling for powders like IMR 4227, 2400, IMR 4198 and Unique. Today, most will say use Lil' Gun. If there's anyone reading this, that has loaded with these "old school" powders and Lil' Gun, I'd love to see a "compare and contrast" on these different powders...especially when used in a short barrel, like the Contender.

I was looking through the .22 Hornet loading data in my old Lyman and Speer manuals (Lyman 44th Ed. from the '60s & Speer Number 7 also from the '60s) tonight. Back then, they were calling for powders like IMR 4227, 2400, IMR 4198 and Unique. Today, most will say use Lil' Gun. If there's anyone reading this, that has loaded with these "old school" powders and Lil' Gun, I'd love to see a "compare and contrast" on these different powders...especially when used in a short barrel, like the Contender.

Some years ago SAAMI lowered the pressure limits on Hornet ammo by something like 5000 psi.  I think that really cut into the performance of those powders for the Hornet. 

I looked at the Reloaders Bench last week and he had it for $30 a hundred. But, if you ask, he may have a bunch of used brass for less in the back. That's how I got my used .444 brass.

Thanks for the update on the .22 hornet brass, Westwindmike. I may just build brass as I go, from my once fired ammo.

Some years ago SAAMI lowered the pressure limits on Hornet ammo by something like 5000 psi.  I think that really cut into the performance of those powders for the Hornet. 

Thanks Dave Shooter, I bought some Lil' Gun, and probably will just stick with it. Most say it's the best in .22 Hornet.

Look into the K Hornet. It has slightly larger case capacity and is much more reloader friendly. Nice thing is, you can safely fire standard hornet from it. In fact, that's how you modify brass (fire forming).

Caster, I took your advice and did some research on the K Hornet. Even though it has some positives, it has some negatives for me. I've just never been much on modifying any of my guns from factory standard. Also, I didn't like the fact that that no factory brass, nor ammo, is available. I liked the figures on paper though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RugerHornet

Sidewinder,

1. Do you use small rifle primers, or small pistol primers? sm pistol, because of powder, i believe in the speer 14 reloading manual they state to use spp with their load data for the hornet to keep from getting pressure spikes with lilgun powder

2. What powder do you use? LilGun

3. What are you shooting your rounds from? Ruger all weather 7722

4. What is a good range to count on, in yards, in real woods hunting situations? my hunting woods 80 yds, occasionally maybe 120 max

5. What game do you use the .22 Hornet for hunting? from squirrel to deer (yes deer,  high neck or head, drop dead on the spot)

6. What do you figure it's costing per round to reload? last time i figured it was about $19 a box if i recollect that was at higher prices, but don't know now at current prices

7. Where do you get your brass? did buy some this year, but been using from factory ammo i have shot

8. Do they make 'bottle-neck" dies in carbide...such as the .22 Hornet? dunno

9. Do you "full length" re-size every time ? no- i ck case legnth and trim if necessary, but just neck size same (same as DS above)

10. What are your dos and don'ts about re-loading the .22 Hornet? do take your time, i have crushed a few case setting up the die, check for cracks/splits in the brass, you are using a small amount of powder so a small difference is a large percentage, check for splits or cracks in the brass,(+ what DS said)

+1 to Caster;been reloading my spent brass for hunting, and in the process fireforming ..(.i had mine K'd)

hope this helps, Good Luck and look forward to posts on your load workups

Sidewinder,

1. Do you use small rifle primers, or small pistol primers? sm pistol, because of powder, i believe in the speer 14 reloading manual they state to use spp with their load data for the hornet to keep from getting pressure spikes with lilgun powder

2. What powder do you use? LilGun

3. What are you shooting your rounds from? Ruger all weather 7722

4. What is a good range to count on, in yards, in real woods hunting situations? my hunting woods 80 yds, occasionally maybe 120 max

5. What game do you use the .22 Hornet for hunting? from squirrel to deer (yes deer,  high neck or head, drop dead on the spot)

6. What do you figure it's costing per round to reload? last time i figured it was about $19 a box if i recollect that was at higher prices, but don't know now at current prices

7. Where do you get your brass? did buy some this year, but been using from factory ammo i have shot

8. Do they make 'bottle-neck" dies in carbide...such as the .22 Hornet? dunno

9. Do you "full length" re-size every time ? no- i ck case legnth and trim if necessary, but just neck size same (same as DS above)

10. What are your dos and don'ts about re-loading the .22 Hornet? do take your time, i have crushed a few case setting up the die, check for cracks/splits in the brass, you are using a small amount of powder so a small difference is a large percentage, check for splits or cracks in the brass,(+ what DS said)

+1 to Caster;been reloading my spent brass for hunting, and in the process fireforming ..(.i had mine K'd)

hope this helps, Good Luck and look forward to posts on your load workups

RugerHornet,

Thanks for the information. When it comes to the .22 Hornet, this is my first rodeo! I'm learning quickly that this is not an inexpensive round to shoot. At 30+ cents a round for the brass alone, this sucker gets expensive in a hurry. My approach is to try to find old ammo that people don't need anymore, buy and shoot it, then reload. The rest of the components aren't hard to come by... just the brass. I have bought Lil' Gun and small pistol primers. I think I'll load mostly 45 gr HP or SP for my 10" Contender barrel. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the twist is 1:12. I spoke with a well known smith, and shooter, in this area this afternoon, and he thinks it's worth it to modify the .22 Hornet to the K Hornet. I'd like to shoot mine some first, before seriously considering modifying it. I've only shot three rounds through mine...at a tree... just for a functional check! I really don't know what It'll do yet. I may try to find a rifle chambered in .22 Hornet, if I like the performance of this 10" Contender barrel. Oh well, the job is never done...right? Thanks again.

• Like 1