Pinned muzzle brake

Guest Longshot1

Guest Longshot1
Atfe says welded 4 spots, welded 1/2 the circumference continuous, 1100 degree silver soldered all the way around or blind pin with pin welded. Why do I see 14.5" barrels with one blind pin not welded being used as "legal" without paperwork?

How about a link to the barrel you are talking about?

A blind pin may not be visible to the naked eye. A good smith will be able to pin a flash hider with no evidence it is pinned. If it is blind pinned there is no requirement to do any of the other things like welding or soldering.

It is perfectly legal to sell a 14.5" barrel it is up to the purchaser to ensure they use it in a legal manner.

• Like 1
Guest Longshot1
I am talking about a 14.5" barrel with one pin, unwelded. Muzzle brake brings OAL out to a little over 16". I agree on legality of selling barrel only. If firearm is over 26" OAL does that solve?
I have heard it debated that it MIGHT be acceptable to drill/pin with a roll pin and skip welding to cover hole. If the roll pin is cut/ground flush, its not coming out. I don't remember which manufacturer does this but they were openly getting away with it unless something has changed. Personally, I prefer pin/weld as its pretty easy to undo if needed-like you want to change your gas block, barrel nut, etc.
By "roll pin", I was referring to what some call a spring pin which some folks have debated the legality of installing without welding...I probably misunderstood the words "one pin, unwelded" and offered the roll pin thing as a possible explanation.

Anyway, I'm not sure that a roll pin, unwelded or otherwise, is legal so to be clear-I'm not recommending it.

I am talking about a 14.5" barrel with one pin, unwelded. Muzzle brake brings OAL out to a little over 16". I agree on legality of selling barrel only. If firearm is over 26" OAL does that solve?

By "roll pin", I was referring to what some call a spring pin which some folks have debated the legality of installing without welding...I probably misunderstood the words "one pin, unwelded" and offered the roll pin thing as a possible explanation.

"Removable muzzle devices (flash suppressors, muzzle brakes, barrel extensions, etc.), do not count towards overall length or barrel length measurements. However, permanently affixed attachments are considered part of the barrel.

The acceptable methods for permanently attaching a device of this type to a firearm barrel involve (1) using deep-penetrating, full-fusion, gas or electric steel-seam welds or (2) using high-temperature silver solder exceeding 1100 degrees Fahrenheit. Depending on he dimensions of a particular barrel, it may also be possible to permanently affix a device by drilling a blind hole through the attachment and into the barrel wall. A steel pin that is flush with, or below, the outside diameter of the muzzle attachment is then inserted, and the hole welded closed. Tack-welding is not an approved method for permanently attaching a muzzle device to a firearm barrel.

John R. Spencer
Chief, Firearms Technology Branch
7/18/2011"

"The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. "

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf

- OS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kingarmory

Atfe says welded 4 spots, welded 1/2 the circumference continuous, 1100 degree silver soldered all the way around or blind pin with pin welded. Why do I see 14.5" barrels with one blind pin not welded being used as "legal" without paperwork?

Where are you getting this info?

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name="Threeeighty" post="1082933" timestamp="1387773373"]I am wanting to remove 1 or 2 hiders , they are not pinned or welded. I have receiver vices but from what I have read on the interweb I am afraid I might damage the upper or barrel if I don't buy barrel vises or cut some wood. What is the general consensus here ?[/quote] Buy barrel blocks, or cut some from wood just like you said. Don't put that kind of stress on your receiver. It's the softer material compared to your barrel, and in my experience it'll be the first to give way Edited by KKing

What I use is some very thick leather. I go to Tandy Leather and buy a big sheet of it. I cut off a piece that will fold and fit inside the jaws of the vice. And for really stubborn barrel pour a little sugar around the barrel as you clamp it. You can even double up on the leather if need be but in years of using leather I can't recall ever needing two pieces.

[quote name="Threeeighty" post="1083001" timestamp="1387804555"]Are any barrel vises sold around Nashville area or is it back to the web ? [url="http://www.lowes.com/pd_209898-52800-BV-NVJ_?PL=1&productId=3070247"]http://www.lowes.com/pd_209898-52800-BV-NVJ_?PL=1&productId=3070247[/url][/quote] I like Dolomite use leather to wrap my parts for the vise. I like those vise jaw pads though and will be picking a set up.

They didn't get caught yet? :shrug:

Much as they would like to be, the BATFE* is not omnipresent. If you slide a stock on your AR pistol in the privacy of your bedroom, don't expect your door to burst inwards in a shower of jackbooted thugs. (Note that I'm suggesting you should try this, of course).

(*Do they really not like being called that?)

Edited by tnguy