Ok may need some help with this??

bersaguy

It is my understanding that Windows XP will be going away in the beginning of December. If this is true, is their anything else out there I can download besides Windows 8 ?    I am hearing bad things about that and would really like to find another option of maybe a couple other options. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ya'll

My sons laptop is in the same sinking ship! I switched to Mac in 2012 with a brand new machine and as of last week have been having major lock up and screen flickering. So the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence! I hope someone helps you(us) out with a good recommendation for windows. 

Both windows 7 and 8.1 are fine if you have the horsepower to run them.
Don’t go by what you hear; see for yourself. Get a copy of acronis and image your drive. Install whatever system you want; if you don’t like it; switch back.

It is my understanding that Windows XP will be going away in the beginning of December. If this is true, is their anything else out there I can download besides Windows 8 ?    I am hearing bad things about that and would really like to find another option of maybe a couple other options. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ya'll

I feel your pain. I have Windows 8 and absolutely hate it. I have been considering going back to Windows 7 for a while now. I use it at work and had it on my personal laptop for a good while until I bricked my laptop and had to replace it. I am going to eventually go out and get Windows 7 again for my current Windows 8 laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=windows%207%20oem&Submit=ENE

Edited by jbravo
Guest Riciticky

Got a refurbished desktop  with win 7 on ebay. It works great. I have 2 laptops with xp. Will just have to bite the bullet when they go out. I have had good luck with ebay computers. After all, if you are not happy, you can send it back for free.

Bersa, XP won't really go away, MS won't support it any longer..  Which only means (I think) hardware and bug fixes won't get updates anymore. I've got an old XP machine continue to use till it's too buggy.

Well I need all the protection I can get and cannot afford a new computer is why I am trying to up grade now but thanks for the information though Terry.

Bersaguy, I've got windows 7, most any way you could use it. They are not pirated, I had a microsoft tech net account and got everything available. Pm me and I can send you a disk and install validation code.

Not that I care about pirating M$ software, but I'd be very surprised if your presumably expired MS Tech Net account covers distributing their products to another user. TechNet (and MSDN) is normally meant for evaluation and development purposes exclusively for the person/company with an active account. While I'm sure the code works it probably is indeed pirating.

That said...   Arrrrgh matey. :weneedajollyrogersmiley:

Windows 7.

I brought a CD from eValueSoftware.com

it was HP or Dell branded but it was OEM and didn't have all the  branding software.

However when I went to put in the key, i guess it knew i wasn't on a dell and the key code didn't work.  I was sent on line to MS, in short had to register it with MS and it has worked fine every since.

I only paid like 75 dollars for it.  It was about the best price I found, other then Student versions.  Student versions if you qualify are the best.

Not that I care about pirating M$ software, but I'd be very surprised if your presumably expired MS Tech Net account covers distributing their products to another user. TechNet (and MSDN) is normally meant for evaluation and development purposes exclusively for the person/company with an active account. While I'm sure the code works it probably is indeed pirating.

That said...   Arrrrgh matey. :weneedajollyrogersmiley:

Well with that said I had to withdraw my offer. I guess even trying to do something nice for someone is frowned upon.

I still have install disks for 98 and I think 95. I have threatened to install 95 on a 3ghz machine just to see how fast windows could run.

Sad thing is, it won't support most of your motherboard and max out on ram very early.  Won't support large hard drives.  So more trouble then it is worth.

XP support is being dropped in April, I think. MS will not provide any updates etc. The System requirements for XP and 7 are not very close, but compared to what is available in PC's even 5-6 years old Win 7 has very light requirements. 

XP system reqs :Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended) At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended) At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk

7 system reqs 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit) 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

April is when Microsoft stops making patches for XP. It will still run fine on your PC for as long as you want, or until the PC dies a tragic death. If you like XP, and can't afford a replacement, I'd just stick with it. I'd keep a good antivirus on it, and keep any programs you have installed up to date. A lot of hacks come in thru Internet Explorer. You might be able to uninstall that, and just use a browser that is supported and updated regularly, like Chrome or FireFox.

Alternately, if you want a free O/S that is updated regularly, look at Linux. Ubuntu is pretty easy to figure out for Windows folks. You can even download a bootable CD and give it a try without wiping out XP. Try it from the CD for a few days, if you like it, wipe XP and install Linux. You might be surprised that you find you actually like it.

Well with that said I had to withdraw my offer. I guess even trying to do something nice for someone is frowned upon.

I do appreciate your offer but I don't want to get anyone up set or in trouble by helping me out with an issue I have so thanks for offering anyway. If I begin having issues with XP or computer I will just have to deal with them until it quits working and try and save up enough money for a newer updated computer with something newer on it I can work with. again thanks for the offer to help.