When can you stand down and relax?

• Administrator

I'm interested in hearing a professional trainer's opinion on when it is OK to stand down, relax your vigilance to a degree, and allow yourself some down-time.

Some things that I have read (first-hand accounts) from people who operate in high-stress environments overseas is that being hyper-vigilant all the time eventually leads them to burnout or symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Those who experienced this said that the most important thing to them to offset that was access to safe areas where they knew that they could drop down their awareness a few notches and breathe easier for a while.

For me, I try to remain vigilant whenever I or my family and I are in public places. I watch my surroundings, watch my six even, and tend to "profile" people even if casually. Anymore it seems that this is only the smart thing to do because the wolf does prowl about in sheeps clothing seeking people to devour.

As long as I am in an area that does not actively search for and prohibit being armed, I go armed. There are of course areas where you cannot do this for risk of arrest, so in those areas I do respect the law and disarm before entering.

Personally my safe zones vary. Home is always a given and while I'm usually not armed on my person, any number of devices for protection (guns, knives, less lethal means) are within quick and easy access. Inside my office at work is also a given although I do arrive and leave armed. I just leave my sidearm locked away securely when I am at my desk, as do a few other employees here. But when I am at these "safe zones" I allow myself to rest easier and only become suspicious of others activities when something triggers that sense of alarm within me.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Loaded247

For me, it is at home. I don't unload it and lock it away, as there is still such a thing as home invasion. However, I take it off, but make sure that it is where I can get to QUICKLY.

At the same time, I'm not going to fault those who keep it on while they are at home...that is a decision that each individual has to make, and their IS good justification for wearing your pistol at home. Personally, for the very reason of having downtime, I take it off, but keep it in reach. While doing so, my doors and windows are all locked........

• Administrator
For me, it is at home. I don't unload it and lock it away, as there is still such a thing as home invasion. However, I take it off, but make sure that it is where I can get to QUICKLY.

At the same time, I'm not going to fault those who keep it on while they are at home...that is a decision that each individual has to make, and their IS good justification for wearing your pistol at home. Personally, for the very reason of having downtime, I take it off, but keep it in reach. While doing so, my doors and windows are all locked........

Your post mirrors my own method of doing things. And I too can't fault anyone for keeping their sidearm on them at home. Like you said, personal preference!

Guest RN MEDIC

One of the times that I've come VERY close to having to kill a dirt bag was in a small country congregation where my wife and I used to attend. Came REAL close. Long story short, thank goodness he left and was shortly arrested. Too long a story for here just now.

RN MEDIC

Guest Shay VanVlymen

If I have pants on I have my gun on. So I pretty much carry up until the point my head hits the pillow.

The way I look at it it doesn't cost me anything to carry a gun in my house.

Always.

What's special about church that you wouldn't carry there?

I would imagine that to the bad guy it looks like a giant room full of sheep.

Along those lines, my church was broken into this week. They didn't get much except some petty cash in an office drawer they use to make change. They entered in through some new construction and then accessed the rest of the church through the ceiling tiles, defeating the security system that only monitors the doors and hallways.

• 1 month later...

The safe zone is no place. Even in your bed, there is a possibility of being harassed. That being said, once I get home, the pistol goes in a safe place where the kids can't get to it but I or my wife can. I usually am more relaxed when the two of us are together. Not fully relaxed, but more relaxed. The reason is that she is more suspicious than I am of people around her so she keeps a watchful eye, and I am there as back up. The neighborhood I live in is safe. There hasn't been a break in in years and no one has been accosted. That doesn't mean it can't happen, only that there are easier places for the criminals to go so they choose those places.

I too have carried in the home on a regular basis in our old neighborhood. It is the 2nd most active place for a carjacking in this city. Now I am in the least likely place to be carjacked.

To each his own, but in my opinion, if you feel the need to carry a gun while in your own home, it might be time to move.

As far as away from home, I arrive at work armed and I leave armed. If company policy would allow it, I would be armed at work.

When we go out, I am armed from the time we leave the house until we get back, unless we go some place that serves alcohol or it is expressly forbidden to be so.

For carrying in church, if it's good enough for the preacher, it's good enough for me.

My girl hates it when I carry a gun at home, but since I had a home invasion in my old apartment, I'm a little paranoid as a result. Occasionally I'll take it off and put whichever pistol was on my hip in my computer desk drawer, which keeps it close, yet gives me some peace of mind. I've always operated on a simple principle with carrying a handgun at home, my handgun will let me fight my way to my rifle. Even if I only have to go to the next room.

Some years ago I met a young guy who was trying to find a job in my area. He lived in Charlotte, but during his wedding, a couple of guys came in off the street and robbed the wedding guests. If I'm in church, I'll have a gun.

I don't carry at home unless I just happen to have the handgun on during a work day. But it's always fairly handy.

Guest GlocKingTN

I dont carry it on me while in the house. But its very close and within reach if I happen to need it. If I go outside and Im gonna be out there for a while, I also put it on then. And I dont take it off until Im in the house for any period of time. My neighborhood isnt the best! I have had something stolen out of wife's car in broad daylight with us at home, in front of the window where my recliner is. So the thieves around here are very stupid and brave! But if I go from the living room to the bedroom to watch TV etc, I will pick my gun up and carry it with me. Like someone else said, it doesn't cost anything to carry it!