cool to know, beer can stove

I used to use a empty pint varnish can with the lid and the alcohol wouldn't evaporate when it was sealed. I used it for a heater I'd stuff it full of old socks then fill it up with alcohol, felt real good when I was hunting and about froze to death. its real easy to put out by just placing the lid on top of it.

Pretty cool, used that stove to fry a 25 lb turkey in peanut oil till chef Ramsay came in and caused an explosion by stomping on it !!!
Made me think of the old tiny squad stove that used gasoline and had a small pump on the fuel tank which ya just don't find anywhere anymore...
Def cool improv thanks !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
Guest Broomhead

I used to use a empty pint varnish can with the lid and the alcohol wouldn't evaporate when it was sealed. I used it for a heater I'd stuff it full of old socks then fill it up with alcohol, felt real good when I was hunting and about froze to death. its real easy to put out by just placing the lid on top of it.

That works the same as the mini-Sterno can that I carry in my bag. I just used it on Black Thursday/Friday to keep my hands warm whilst waiting outside various stores.

I've tried to make a soda can stove that used drilled holes for the burner jets, but it failed. I'll have to try this method though.

Guest Riciticky

I tried to make one and failed. I'll try again today. If it works, I'll have pics, if not....I'll keep quiet.

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Yeah, I tried this morning . Only had 50% alcohol. Flame kept going out but I haven't given up yet.

Guest Riciticky

Here is the pics. I used 91% alcohol and was able to boil water. Only problem was wind blowing it out but it will work in a fix. Also forgot to take pic of the water. Anyway believe me it works but not like sterno.

th_002.jpg?t=1385832179  th_004.jpg?t=1385833286 th_006.jpg?t=1385852401

Here is the pics. I used 91% alcohol and was able to boil water. Only problem was wind blowing it out but it will work in a fix. Also forgot to take pic of the water. Anyway believe me it works but not like sterno.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Nattyyy!!!! I still have to try it, i figured even a little esbit stove would be better than this, but this is good to know in a pinch, considering cans are everywhere and so is alcohol.
Guest Riciticky

I can't believe you drink natural light. Other than that good job on the stove.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I like bud but nati's price is right!

I made mine out of coke cans.  Mine is also a bit different in design.  I found that a pushpin makes the perfect hole.

[URL=http://s555.photobucket.com/user/Mo-Ped/media/Bushcraft/DSC03060.jpg.html]DSC03060.jpg[/URL]

This one boils water at room temperature in around 4 minutes.  The drawback is once the fuel is in, it's in until it burns out.  The design above doesn't have that problem.  I like that, since you don't waste fuel. 

The yellow bottle of HEET (methanol) works well for these little stoves, because it burns clean.  Isopropyl alcohol has water in it and smokes and will black up your cook set.

I made mine out of coke cans.  Mine is also a bit different in design.  I found that a pushpin makes the perfect hole.

DSC03060.jpg

This one boils water at room temperature in around 4 minutes.  The drawback is once the fuel is in, it's in until it burns out.  The design above doesn't have that problem.  I like that, since you don't waste fuel. 

The yellow bottle of HEET (methanol) works well for these little stoves, because it burns clean.  Isopropyl alcohol has water in it and smokes and will black up your cook set.

This is the style I have. I do like the other for not having to waste the fuel. I think I might give it a try as well.

• 1 month later...
I made one like the video over Christmas, but I didn't work very well. I was using 70% rubbing alcohol and while it would burn fine open, it would go out in short order when I put anything on top of it.

I finally bothered to get some more pure alcohol (it's at least 90%) and it works like a charm. No change to the stove itself, just better fuel.

Though I'd recommend you take the label off the soup can before you sit it on the stove. Particularly if you're doing this on your work bench in the garage. :)
  • Like 1
[quote name="peejman" post="1098984" timestamp="1390353205"]I made one like the video over Christmas, but I didn't work very well. I was using 70% rubbing alcohol and while it would burn fine open, it would go out in short order when I put anything on top of it. I finally bothered to get some more pure alcohol (it's at least 90%) and it works like a charm. No change to the stove itself, just better fuel. Though I'd recommend you take the label off the soup can before you sit it on the stove. Particularly if you're doing this on your work bench in the garage. :)[/quote]I think that may be my problem. I'll try better fuel before I trash the one I made. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
Guest Lowbuster

I've used a roll of toilet paper crammed in a coffee can, poured in alcohol, lit and works great. You can use cheap tp, but seems like when to comes into play, always use quality

I've used a roll of toilet paper crammed in a coffee can, poured in alcohol, lit and works great. You can use cheap tp, but seems like when to comes into play, always use quality

I've heard of using a kerosene soaked tp roll for a cool flaming halloween pumpkin.  No reason that wouldn't work as a stove.

I checked and the alcohol I used is 99% pure isopropyl.  So I guess that's means it's 198 proof.  :)