cool to know, beer can stove

I made TONS of these little things. I've lost 3 of them to friends thinking they were just trash and tossing them into a fire. I bought a big circle cutting bit that just knocks out that big divot in the bottom, saves time and cuts! I also polish the other divot because I heard you can start a fire with it if it's polished and sunny enough. I also found that some cans' divots are slightly larger than others.

[quote name="bigbabysweets" post="1099699" timestamp="1390456295"]I made TONS of these little things. I've lost 3 of them to friends thinking they were just trash and tossing them into a fire. I bought a big circle cutting bit that just knocks out that big divot in the bottom, saves time and cuts! I also polish the other divot because I heard you can start a fire with it if it's polished and sunny enough. I also found that some cans' divots are slightly larger than others.[/quote] Ive seen Les Stroud, on one of the episodes of survivorman, start a fire that way. He polished the bottom of the can with a piece of chocolate, then set it up in the sun to direct a beam of sunlight off of it onto a pile of tinder. I couldn't believe it worked.

Ive seen Les Stroud, on one of the episodes of survivorman, start a fire that way. He polished the bottom of the can with a piece of chocolate, then set it up in the sun to direct a beam of sunlight off of it onto a pile of tinder. I couldn't believe it worked.

I saw that too and I think we was surprised that it worked as well.  I planned to polish the bottom of my stove, but I wonder if the heat would ruin the polish?  One way to find out I suppose.

I saw that too and I think we was surprised that it worked as well.  I planned to polish the bottom of my stove, but I wonder if the heat would ruin the polish?  One way to find out I suppose.

Im thinking it probably depends on what you use to polish it? Not really sure. I would GUESS not

That's pretty cool! I have been making soda can stoves for years, but I have used a more traditional design. The drawback to the design I have used is that you have to have some sort of stand to place your pot on, otherwise you smother the flame. This design, the stove is the stand. Plus the added bonus of being able to empty the fuel. I like his crimping method too. Mating the two halves together is always the most difficult part for me. I can't wait to try this version out.

I usually keep a soda can stove and a bottle of fuel in the BOB in my truck. Super light and the price is right. When I show it to people, they are amazed.

Word of advice: do not use gasoline in one of these. I thought I was going to have to call the fire department to put out my workshop the one time I tried. The flame goes about a foot high, and there is horrible black smoke. Trust me, don't try it.

I bet it would be a pretty ugly flame with gasoline.  I've been tempted to try mine with some liquid Coleman fuel I have for my old camp stove.  Gotta wait for a calm day and try that outside... don't want to burn the house down. 

Here's a pic of mine...

IMG_0360-L.jpg

[quote name="peejman" post="1104186" timestamp="1391193408"]I bet it would be a pretty ugly flame with gasoline. I've been tempted to try mine with some liquid Coleman fuel I have for my old camp stove. Gotta wait for a calm day and try that outside... don't want to burn the house down. Here's a pic of mine... IMG_0360-L.jpg[/quote] Caffiene free coke...really?...... Whats the point of drinkin a coke if you dont get the good stuff! Haha just kidding of course

• 3 weeks later...
A little while ago I learned that the stove makes a pretty good unintentional beard trimmer.

I had a quick kid toy repair to do in the garage. It was a little chilly and my stove was sitting there so I thought I'd fire it up. Apparently I got a little too close to the flame. The damage was minor but if you think burned hair smells bad from a distance, it's worse when it's right under your nose.
  • Like 1
[quote name="peejman" post="1111725" timestamp="1392521308"]A little while ago I learned that the stove makes a pretty good unintentional beard trimmer. I had a quick kid toy repair to do in the garage. It was a little chilly and my stove was sitting there so I thought I'd fire it up. Apparently I got a little too close to the flame. The damage was minor but if you think burned hair smells bad from a distance, it's worse when it's right under your nose.[/quote] One of the worst smells! I can only imagine how bad it is when its right under your nose. Also, in regards to using these little stoves as a heat source, i was impressed how much heat these little things put out.