To all members of Tennessee Gun Owners........

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Happy Thanksgiving!

The reason (And I didnt write it but it is worth mentioning)

The Pilgrims were persecuted, jailed, harassed, hunted and humiliated. They knew almost every type of danger and embarrassment. Even modern action films cannot match the stories of their harrowing escapes from danger. They were betrayed by a shipmaster in their first attempt to escape persecution in England in 1607, but that did not stop them.

William Bradford and his mentor, William Brewster, are perhaps the most notable in this regard—having led the church in the midst of peril all the way from Scrooby to Plymouth. When the Pilgrim women and children were arrested after the men had successfully escaped to Amsterdam on their second attempt in 1608, it was these two men who stayed behind to care for those wives and children. Yet Bradford still managed to outlast many of his brethren by serving for more than 30 years as governor of Massachusetts.

The Pilgrims suffered loss, hardship and ruin. Finally, many of them died in Holland without ever reaching their goal in this life. And all but four families who arrived in the New World suffered at least one death during the winter of 1620-21. But they never quit. They kept pursuing what they believed to be the will of God for them. They never turned back but kept pressing forward.

How many of us would be so determined to follow and so quick to obey in the midst of such hard circumstances? The Pilgrims give us a tremendous example of steadfastness.

The first Thanksgiving didn’t grow out of the enjoyment of abundance, but out of gratitude for the provision of necessities. The Pilgrims had very little to eat in their first year at Plymouth—a year marked more than anything by the scourge of sickness and death. With overwhelming odds against them, they devoted themselves to God and His principles for all areas of their lives. When He blessed them, they did not forget His benefits, but turned themselves to Him wholeheartedly in "Thanksgiving".

thanksgiving2_zps2dbdf0a2.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Guest Riciticky

Thanks. I have a book for kids called Rush Revere  and the pilgrims. Once , my adopted grand kids and I have finished it, I will be happy to send it to someone for free. It is for children between ages 10-13 and for 60 year olds like me. It teaches kids about the true history.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

This is what I posted on my FB page.

What is Thanksgiving?  To many, it is a time to gather amongst friends and family, share a meal, and tell stories of what is going on in each of their lives.  To others, it is just the day before Black Friday. :)  While both groups are correct, they are both wrong.  To me Thanksgiving is simply giving thanks for what each of us has, earned,  or have been given.  It could be: a job, finances, love, friendship, family, good looks, personality, intelligence, education, and even the very cliche, your health, etc...

While we all should enjoy our time today with friends and loved ones, let's not forget to do a little self-reflection on everything that is positive in our life and give thanks.

I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving.  For those nuts that are gonna go out shopping in the wee small hours (was listening to a little Sinatra last night) tomorrow, be careful cause I guarantee you that there are people out their even nuttier than you. :)