Windows 7 Pro Blue Screen Error, what is the fix?

JohnC

I've used free DriveImage XML for years now with XP and Win7:

https://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

I did restore an entire drive with it once on a box I no longer have, worked fine. But I've mainly used it to restore the occasional single file once in a great while.

The free version is not automated and does not do incremental is only limitation. I just run it once in a while manually to a firewire connected drive, eventually delete the older ones as the thing fills up.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks OS, didn't know that Acronis had come out with a free version. When I decided not to buy the thang all over again to support either vista or win7 (can't recall which), the only "free" available was a demo version which would make an image, but would not restore. I would have been happy to pay for an upgrade, but at that time their "upgrade" was about the same price as the new product.

Edited by Lester Weevils

Since you bought a new hard drive, and that didn't fix the problem, try this simple test: Take out the new drive and install the old one back in. Reinstall Windows onto the old drive, wiping it clean in the process. You'll still have all of your data in the new drive. All you want to do is see if a fresh install of Windows makes the problem go away. If it does, then you know it's an O/S issue. If not, then it's hardware.

Guest Brutnus

Hello,

I have looked and probably missed but what is the make/model of your pc or is it custom built? If it is custom please list out all parts. That should be step 1. Step 2 should be have someone reseat ever card, cable and give the internals the ole eyeball test. Most times BSOD comes from either a new driver or new hardware very rarely does WIN7 BSOD on something going bad (mostly RAM).

I would run a Checkdisk on each HDD. (google 'checkdisk win 7' for instructions) and run the built in ram check (google 'mdsched.exe in 7').

If the problem isn't fixed i would then remove the Graphics card and use the on board connection and see if the problem remains.

That is where i would start at least.

removed the unwanted stuff now that i have had coffee. Carry on

Edited by Brutnus

Since you bought a new hard drive, and that didn't fix the problem, try this simple test: Take out the new drive and install the old one back in. Reinstall Windows onto the old drive, wiping it clean in the process. You'll still have all of your data in the new drive. All you want to do is see if a fresh install of Windows makes the problem go away. If it does, then you know it's an O/S issue. If not, then it's hardware.

I'm going to give this a try. Re-cloning the new HD image to the old that I had just reformatted. Once I do that, I will put the 2tb drive in as the boot drive, restore it and then reboot with the new 3tb removed. If it works, I know it was some corrupt crap on the disk. :up: Edited by JohnC
Guest Lester Weevils

The Drive Image XML I mentioned isn't Acronis, if that's what ya mean.

- OS

Sorry OS, I'm getting even more old and stupid every day. Confused what you wrote with True Image, the acronis product name.

That DriveImage XML looks like a good free-for-non-commercial-use product.

Confusing even more because "Drive Image" was an old product that quit working about the era of WinXP and the NT file system, and was purchased and merged into Norton Ghost. Wonder if that "DriveImage XML" has any shared inheritance with the ancient "Drive Image" at all. As if it makes any difference to the price of cheese on mars. :)

You wouldn't believe this....

While cloning my old Win 7 Pro Dell Studio XPS 9100, my new Win 8.1 Pro Dell XPS desktop crashed with a BSOD while a youtube video was paused and I was looking at something on another page on Facebook.

BSOD 0xa0000001

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE! :surrender:  :rant:  :censored:  :wall:

Sorry OS, I'm getting even more old and stupid every day. Confused what you wrote with True Image, the acronis product name.

That DriveImage XML looks like a good free-for-non-commercial-use product.

Confusing even more because "Drive Image" was an old product that quit working about the era of WinXP and the NT file system, and was purchased and merged into Norton Ghost. Wonder if that "DriveImage XML" has any shared inheritance with the ancient "Drive Image" at all. As if it makes any difference to the price of cheese on mars. :)

No biggie. Yeah, I remember the original Drive Image backup stuff, was from Power Quest.  Maybe these guys were on that team or something back then, who knows? The Runtime company been around since '99, or at least that's when domain was first registered.

- OS

While cloning my old Win 7 Pro Dell Studio XPS 9100, my new Win 8.1 Pro Dell XPS desktop crashed with a BSOD while a youtube video was paused and I was looking at something on another page on Facebook.

BSOD 0xa0000001

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE! :surrender:  :rant:  :censored:  :wall:

Beginning to think paranormal activity, ghosts in the machines?

- OS

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

BSOD 0xa0000001

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE! :surrender: :rant: :censored: :wall:

Hmmm, do you reckon all your crashes might be coincidental to youtube, internet explorer, or whatever?

I don't recall having any bsod, but I quit using internet explorer at all on win 7 some months back, because MS had fixed it so good, with windows update auto updates, that internet explorer wouldn't hardly run anymore, and it definitely malfed any time on youtube, possibly related to flash video content or maybe not. Both MS, apple, and google have seemingly been at war with adobe's flash format for quite awhile now.

When I web searched on the issue last year (I've never used win 8) they were saying something about win 8 having 2 versions of internet explorer installed. One that is the easiest for the user to find and run that is supposedly "more secure" but it screws up on youtube and other websites, and another "less secure" version buried in there somewhere that you can run if you can find it.

So I kinda guessed my win7 IE woes were related to similar issues, but just a dumb guess perhaps missing the point entirely.

I refuse to use chrome on general principles, and generally like firefox. The most generically compatible browser for me is safari on mac, though maybe chrome is as good or better, but google is the lead horseman of the apocalypse, and apple is second in line. I suspect the other two are larry ellison, followed by microsoft.

Hmmm, do you reckon all your crashes might be coincidental to youtube, internet explorer, or whatever?

I don't recall having any bsod, but I quit using internet explorer at all on win 7 some months back, because MS had fixed it so good, with windows update auto updates, that internet explorer wouldn't hardly run anymore, and it definitely malfed any time on youtube, possibly related to flash video content or maybe not. Both MS, apple, and google have seemingly been at war with adobe's flash format for quite awhile now.

When I web searched on the issue last year (I've never used win 8) they were saying something about win 8 having 2 versions of internet explorer installed. One that is the easiest for the user to find and run that is supposedly "more secure" but it screws up on youtube and other websites, and another "less secure" version buried in there somewhere that you can run if you can find it.

So I kinda guessed my win7 IE woes were related to similar issues, but just a dumb guess perhaps missing the point entirely.

I refuse to use chrome on general principles, and generally like firefox. The most generically compatible browser for me is safari on mac, though maybe chrome is as good or better, but google is the lead horseman of the apocalypse, and apple is second in line. I suspect the other two are larry ellison, followed by microsoft.

Well, with the Win 7 Pro, sometimes it'll freeze up right after a restart.... So not sure how that plays in to all the video crashes and BSOD...

Guest Lester Weevils

Explain...

Flash has had quite a few security vulnerabilities, which is why adobe keeps having to pump out flashplayer updates, and probably one reason apple, ms, and google hate the flash format. Maybe a bigger reason is they just want it replaced by html5 or whatever.

Just checked the Win 8.1 Pro Dell with Adobe Flash and it said:

Checking the Win 7 Pro now....

No, you don't have to install it, but it does need to be updated, just like windows is already installed and needs regular updating.  Especially with the latest round of IE exploits.

No, you don't have to install it, but it does need to be updated, just like windows is already installed and needs regular updating.  Especially with the latest round of IE exploits.

Yeah, I know that much. :lol:

I keep my PC's up to date. I'm not totally ignorant. I run a home network with:

6 laptops

4 desktops

3 iPhones

1 Roku

1 PS3

All on a lowly Commiecast 105Mbps service.

Aside from that, in my spare time, I run some websites.

I also own 16 domains. :lol:

This is an example on one: http://streetntrack.net

Most of the others are Wordpress and phpBB forums.

But even with what techy knowledge I have, this issue has me completely stumped! :wall:

Edited by JohnC

Didn't mean to offend you.  Just responding to your post. Guess I misunderstood you.

If we're measuring peters.  I learned on a trs80.  Logged into my first bbs in the late 70s, have owned domains since the mid 90s and can tell the depth of the water in the toilet without using mah hands.  :D

Edited by sigmtnman
  • Like 1

Didn't mean to offend you.  Just responding to your post. Guess I misunderstood you.

If we're measuring peters.  I learned on a trs80.  Logged into my first bbs in the late 70s, have owned domains since the mid 90s and can tell the depth of the water in the toilet without using mah hands.  :D

Not offended by any means. Just want to let folks know I'm not a total dope and I can do some techy things! :rofl: