My Black Friday/Thursday Experience

mav

Guest TankerHC

Maybe I'm weird, but none of the stores have anything I really want in-the-store.

One nice thang at home depot for about 6 months now, is that if you want metal toolchests and you can suffice on "real good home-shop-quality" rather than "pro quality", they've drastically cut the price on em, and still good prices on black friday ads. But I don't need any toolchests at the moment. Wish the price had been this low when I was buying some.

None of the stores, best buy included, have even remotely high-performance PC's in stock, regardless of price. Spensive or cheap, they are all "ho-hum" gadgets. Been kinda sorta thinking about getting a new PC sometime or t'other, and nobody local stocks anything significantly faster than my 4 year old 3.33 GHz i7 975.

I was kinda wanting to get a wood jointer. But Harbor Freight quit selling their cheap jointer about a year ago, and neither sears, best buy, or lowes has had ANY jointers in stock, not even cheapie models I probably wouldn't want.

Yep

Maybe I'm weird, but none of the stores have anything I really want in-the-store.

One nice thang at home depot for about 6 months now, is that if you want metal toolchests and you can suffice on "real good home-shop-quality" rather than "pro quality", they've drastically cut the price on em, and still good prices on black friday ads. But I don't need any toolchests at the moment. Wish the price had been this low when I was buying some.

None of the stores, best buy included, have even remotely high-performance PC's in stock, regardless of price. Spensive or cheap, they are all "ho-hum" gadgets. Been kinda sorta thinking about getting a new PC sometime or t'other, and nobody local stocks anything significantly faster than my 4 year old 3.33 GHz i7 975. Well, I was also thinking about maybe buying one or more SSD drives, but Best Buy or nobody else has SSD drives in the store. Best Buy had some old-dusty-stock of 60 GB SSD drives, priced too high, but that's all.

I been kinda wanting to get a wood jointer. But Harbor Freight quit selling their cheap jointer about a year ago, and neither sears, best buy, or lowes has had ANY jointers in stock, not even cheapie models I probably wouldn't want.

Same here Lester.  I have everything I need, and what I want you can't buy.

In regards to a new computer, I would go to Microcenter.  I love Newegg, but I prefer to have it now, so I drive down to Marietta and go to Microcenter.  They have the best prices, and they will price match as well.  I bought a 500 GB SSD as my primary drive on this new build.  They are fast.

Guest TankerHC

Same here Lester.  I have everything I need, and what I want you can't buy.

In regards to a new computer, I would go to Microcenter.  I love Newegg, but I prefer to have it now, so I drive down to Marietta and go to Microcenter.  They have the best prices, and they will price match as well.  I bought a 500 GB SSD as my primary drive on this new build.  They are fast.

How much? (If you dont mind?), been looking for one bigger than 240 at a reasonable price. (Anything but OCZ)

I'm probably going to WalMart today and buying some new Goodyear tires for my car. They don't have my size (205/70x15) on sale, but the 215/70x15 size should work okay on my Subaru. If not, I'm certain the 205/65x15 size will fit. Who knows, the other sizes might be on sale, too. I'll find out when I get there. 

My wife and I went to Office Depot and Office Max on Friday afternooon where we bought a couple of computer chairs. There were no crowds at the Office stores at all. There did appear to be a decent crowd at Target, but we didn't go in. 

EDITED: Oh, and I bought an Acer Chromebook for $129 on Groupon. I'll use Crouton to load Ubuntu on it so it should be a nice addition to my existing laptops.

Edited by jgradyc
Guest Lester Weevils
Yep that is a good deal. From my looking around people seem to favor the Samsung's. Crucial are reputed to be a little slower but tolerating more write cycles before crapping out. However some reviews claim the odds of getting a bad infant mortality crucial are a little higher as well.

I read that typically when an ssd craps out, it begins to fail in writing, but you can still get your data off them. If that is true sounds good because I always run raid 1 two drive pairs to at least slightly guard against data loss. Being able to better trust data storage would be nice.

I'd need at least one 512 for boot drive and programs, and another 512 or multiple smaller drives for data. And would need to do quite a bit of housekeeping to get my boot drive trimmed down small enough for cloning to a 512. Edited by Lester Weevils

i have not done a black friday since 1997.  the last one i did was when we lived in washington dc.  i stood in line for some cheap vhs players.  never again will i do that for anything.  i buy on line for most of my items.  the prices are better.  back in the 70's and 80's malls where something to do.  did lots of shopping in them.  now when i go shopping it is wal mart for just about everything.  a one stop store.  now if they would start selling lumber. 

I'm glad I'm not poor to have to worry about the "savings" for Black Friday

Even when I was dirt poor the thought of doing Black Friday was unbearable. I'd rather live without an item than to participate in an experience such as that. Then again, I've never liked large crowds as far back as I can remember. Even in high school I'd take dates to early shows at the movies because I couldn't deal with the Friday/Saturday night crowds.