.45acp for Carry?

Recently I purchased my first .45 acp, which was a full sized Ruger 1911. I was impressed with the gun and the .45 caliber. Today, I picked up a sweet deal on a G30. I figured that I'd try carrying it instead of my G26 ever now and then if/when needed but I've only shot the 230grain FMJ in the Ruger. Is there a "preferred" round to carry for self defense? I don't carry FMJ in any other round so it just doesn't seem right here, although my understanding is that what round the 1911 was designed for. New to the G30... so I'm hoping for a little guidance from you guys. My other carry guns are usually filled with Hornady Critical Defense.

The g30 shoos eat any Hollow Point. In reality the 1911 should too but in some cases they don't.

In my 1911 I used to carry the Hornady XTP ammo with the polymer filler in the hole that helps feeding. I don't know if it helped but it didn't hurt. I would start with Hornady or Remington Golden Saber and just test them and see how they work. I don't carry FMJ in 45; hollow points perform just fine.
Guest TNSovereignty

I also carry the G30 - mostly in the fall/winter ... it's a brick to carry but a worthy adversary to whatever a potential bad guy brings.  I've just found it hard to conceal in the summer.

I like the Buffalo Bore 230gr JHP.

My favorite way to carry the G30 is IWB in the CrossBreed Supertuck Deluxe.  That said ... the 'preferred' round is the one that you can control and reliably put in the center of mass every time.  

This one came with 4 mags... so hopefully I can forgo the extremely large G21. I looked at those too, but the 30 was just about perfect for someone wanting a .45. I'm headed somewhere tomorrow to shoot this thing and will try one or two of the above mentioned ammo... as long as I can find it locally. I know SD rounds aren't cheap, but I'd rather know that the gun will cycle them than to guess. I know Wally World carried the Winchesters, so I'll start there. Hornady may be a BPS, but I aint going there again until after Christmas! It was a mad house today when looking for a holster.

Thanks a bunch!

^Misread that... you meant only the G21 mag for backup, not the G21 itself lol.

Edited by charlessummers

On a scale of 1-10, pretty much any modern PD round is at least a 9. Pick what cycles reliably and you're fastest and most accurate with.

What he said. I've tried all those except the Winchester and hand loads, all preformed perfectly. Only thing my 1911 didn't like was some cheep target FMJ.
Carry hollow point ammunition.

FMJ will pass through most people and if it does you are still responsible for that bullet. And honestly the 45 isn't very devastating on its way through when shooting FMJ.

Some modern HP ammunition for the 45 will expand beyond .9" and no matter what happens a FMJ will never get that big.

My other carry guns are usually filled with Hornady Critical Defense.

If you have never had any issues they should be fine.

I have used these for many years in various calibers. Never had a issue with any of them; worked fine in every 1911 I have had.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/368552/federal-premium-personal-defense-ammunition-45-acp-230-grain-hydra-shok-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20
Guest TNSovereignty

230 ball on top of 5 grains of Bullseye. If the question involves a 45 ACP, this is the answer.

Yep ... and Unique is a decent powder for 45 plinking as well.  

However, I've always been taught to carry factory loads for personal defense ... thus making it easier for our potential defense attorney if any altercation goes wrong.  So I reload for plinking & play, exercise a magazine of  factory ammo to ensure reliability, and always carry the factory ammo for ccw.  I was taught this many years ago & just stuck with it.  

Yep ... and Unique is a decent powder for 45 plinking as well.  

However, I've always been taught to carry factory loads for personal defense ... thus making it easier for our potential defense attorney if any altercation goes wrong.  So I reload for plinking & play, exercise a magazine of  factory ammo to ensure reliability, and always carry the factory ammo for ccw.  I was taught this many years ago & just stuck with it.  

I've read this since Al Gore invented the internet, but I've yet to see a case in which someone was prosecuted due to the fact they defended themselves with handloaded ammunition. Can you cite a case?

The LEO around here use Golden Sabre, so using Massad's recommendations, that's what I use.  But I sure make some pretty Hornady 185gr. XTP over 5.7gr. Bullseye.  Use nickel-plated case just to class things up a bit

I have a bunch of 230 grain XTP's loaded over 5.4g Bullseye. No special brass.

The 45 was made for the 230 ball ammo. It work. When I carry a 45 I load it with 230 ball ammo. Works every time in my g36, g30, and several colts 1911.

Does the thought of that round passing through your intended target and going who knows where not bother you? I understand that's a risk with any round, but you're greatly increasing your chances by using ball ammo

Does the thought of that round passing through your intended target and going who knows where not bother you? I understand that's a risk with any round, but you're greatly increasing your chances by using ball ammo

It isn't a high power rifle cartridge. How much penetrating does a 45 ACP do? I'm asking because I have no idea, but I don't suspect over penetration is as big a concern as missing. I wouldn't expect that big, slow hunk of metal to go through an adult and have enough remaining energy to do much.

Heck, they don't penetrate air real well.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1