9mm carry ammo

What is your preference for bullet weight in 9mm hollow point for carry? 115, 124, or147 grain?
I've always used 147 gr but found a good deal at SGAmmo for Speer gold dot in 115gr I couldn't resist. Thanks for any info Edited by ac3boyz

My vote would be for Gold Dot 124 gr +P.

I still have a few boxes of Black Hills 124 gr +P from when they used the Gold Dot bullets. (I think Black Hills uses the XTP bullet nowadays.)

I've been carrying the Black Hills version for over 10 years.

I do like the recoil impulse of the 147 gr bullet though...I plan to pick up more of those when availability and budget allow.

124gr Golden Sabers (yeah yeah I know).

That's me, too, 124+p. When I first started carrying, local police were using Golden Sabers, uniformed ones in .40, plainclothes using a variety, including 9mm,  dunno if they still do.

But stocked up on a good bit at the time, reckon it's still plenty good enough. Don't really want to run a couple hundred different pricy ones through each of my main carry heaters to recheck reliability on a different brand.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Im with oh shoot...I still run old federal +p+ 9bple...I know its outdated...but Ive shot so much of it through both my pistols that I know it works...and Ive got enough of it that I can run several mags in each gun through every six months or so to ensure thats still the case and not worrying about running out in my lifetime....:D

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

I am a Speer Gold Dot fan, but as others have stated, most "modern" SD stuff will work; whatever you select make sure it functions reliably in your gun,

Stay away from Winchester White Box 147gr JHP advertised as "personal defense" It is "old" technology and I have seen tests where it fails to expand and acts as a fmj.

I'd like to see those tests. Can you provide a source?

Stay away from Winchester White Box 147gr JHP advertised as "personal defense" It is "old" technology and I have seen tests where it fails to expand and acts as a fmj.

I have seen he same testing results, I think one out of 50 expanded to like .40.