Road Rage - what would you have done?

Guest sargekw

I was on I-24 heading back home from visiting with my folks for Thanksgiving and this is the first time I've had this happen.

I was on cruise control in the right lane and was getting close to a car and signaled to move into the left lane with plenty of time between me and the guy who seemed to be in a hurry.  When he got to where it got uncomfortable to me, within a car length, I let him have the 4 ways to let him know to back off some.  I wasn't going to speed up (already doing 75) just to pass the car and get out of his way.  When he decided to keep inching closer I tapped the brakes for him to back off.  When I got to where I was clear and it was safe to move over, I did so. When the guy got alongside he was just an idiot or something; he made the gesture of pointing a gun along with the muzzle rise, not just once, but a couple times.  I should have just let it go and kept on my way, but I let it get to me, especially when I saw on his license plates he was a Navy Senior Chief, I'm retired AF.  When I saw that I drove up alongside and kind of shook my head at him for being so stupid and he gave the gun gesture again.  Apparently he must have been mouthing off too because his wife seemed to be getting a bit upset.  

What would you have done - would you have called THP about someone making a gesture like that, or just let him drive on and continue being a jerk?

I would have called THP and hopefully given a full description of him, his vehicle and his license plate.

Anyone willing to display his weapon in such a threatening manner is someone who should probably not be carrying a firearm because he is either dangerous, stupid or dangerously stupid.

"Tapping your brakes" to tell him to back off probably didn't help. That's not a legitimate signal. Best thing to do is remain calm, increase your following distance, and eventually move out of his way when safe to do so.

When he made the gun gesture that's when it is time to call THP with his description.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I would have called THP and hopefully given a full description of him, his vehicle and his license plate.

Anyone willing to display his weapon in such a threatening manner is someone who should probably not be carrying a firearm because he is either dangerous, stupid or dangerously stupid.

...he made the gesture of pointing a gun...

Wasn't a real gun.

Edit: Unless you're in a school. Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 1

Thats what he was doing, passing the slower car in front of him. Left lane isnt for doing 100mph, its for passing slower traffic.

Had a State Trooper one time tell me that the speedlimit is 70MPH. He said I was doing 82. I told him I was passing a vehicle. He said "let me repeat myself". You were doing 82 in a 70 mph zone, I don't care what you were doing. The speed limit is 70, not 82! I think my Firefighter plate got me out of a ticket. Simply put, passing in the passing lane is NOT an excuse to speed. Both the right hand and left hand lanes are posted 70MPH. We don't get to pick and choose. If the OP was doing 70 in the passing lane, then he was 100% correct! He just happened to get in front of a jerk! The left lane isn't the speeding lane, nor is the right.

DaveS

• Like 3

Had this actually gone sideways, a brake check is considered an aggressive move.

I feel it's your fault for being too lazy to put your foot on the accelerator and speed up. You put on your four ways, you hit the brakes but all you really had to do was accelerate and get back over out of the way.

• Like 2

I only have one suggestion for everyone.  If you have a habit of using cruise control on the interstate turn the thing off and give it a little gas when you are passing someone.  The highways are bad enough these days without people lollygagging in the left-hand lane.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

I only have one suggestion for everyone.  If you have a habit of using cruise control on the interstate turn the thing off and give it a little gas when you are passing someone.  The highways are bad enough these days without people lollygagging in the left-hand lane.

And the lollygagging there is unsafe. The longer you are opposite another vehicle at high speed on the open road, the greater the risk. Just takes a second to swerve over into your lane from inattention, distraction, sleepiness, whatever.

Folks who take minutes to get around a semi make me especially cringe.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

- OS

I just don't understand this behavior. It's like they enjoy being next to a giant death-machine, cruising at 70mph. Step on the gas, for cryin' out loud!

I would have done nothing.  There is absolutely no point in escalating a situation when it can be easily diffused by maintaining control of one's emotions.  I carry a gun, and I hope to God that I never have to use it in a defensive situation.

• Like 2

"Tapping your brakes" to tell him to back off probably didn't help. That's not a legitimate signal. Best thing to do is remain calm, increase your following distance, and eventually move out of his way when safe to do so.

When he made the gun gesture that's when it is time to call THP with his description.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

^This.  You cannot make a tailgater back off, in any safe or legal manner.  Speeding up only means that he will be tailgating you at higher speeds, and possibly closer as your response encourages his ignorant actions.  Pulling alongside the other driver only served to potentially escalate the situation, and leaves you open to criticism as being a second "jerk" on the road that day.  Signals, head shakes, hand gestures and arguing with bad drivers over their irresponsible behavior on the highway will never be an effective way of dealing with these types of situations.  "Don't argue with morons, as they will only drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience".

• Like 1

This.

Assuming the road ahead was clear, I would've sped up a little and let the guy go. If you move into the left lane, you should match the speed of the existing traffic or get out of the way.

So, if I'm passing someone at, say 72, and some asshat comes racing up on my butt at 85, I should increase my speed to 85 to accommodate him?

• Like 2

And the lollygagging there is unsafe. The longer you are opposite another vehicle at high speed on the open road, the greater the risk. Just takes a second to swerve over into your lane from inattention, distraction, sleepiness, whatever.

- OS

Define "lollygagging". Are you saying I should drive around someone just as fast as possible? if not, then at what speed? Sounds pretty subjective to me. 

I'm not going to constantly change my speed to accommodate someone else. I'm not on the road for anyone else's convenience.

Edited by daddyo
  • Like 1

Don't agree with this at all. Are you saying I should drive around someone just as fast as possible? if not, then at what speed. Sounds pretty subjective to me. 

I'm not going to constantly change my speed to accommodate someone else. I'm not on the road for anyone else's convenience.

The idea of defensive driving is to minimize your risk, not suit your "convenience", or even being "in the right".

My mother has had all kinds of fender benders through her whole life, almost entirely because "she had the right of way". Fortunately she doesn't get on the big roads at higher speeds. She doesn't seem to get the concept of avoiding collision regardless of whose fault it is.

Obviously, minimizing your risk includes not inciting other drivers to wrath, too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The idea of defensive driving is to minimize your risk, not suit your "convenience", or even being "in the right".

My mother has had all kinds of fender benders through her whole life, almost entirely because "she had the right of way". Fortunately she doesn't get on the big roads at higher speeds. She doesn't seem to get the concept of avoiding collision regardless of whose fault it is.

Obviously, minimizing your risk includes not inciting other drivers to wrath, too.

- OS

It isn't about being in the right. I refuse to let other drivers dictate how I drive. I drive no more than 5 miles over the limit. If someone wants to drive like a maniac, that's his problem.

I've been driving legally now for 44 years. Took defensive driving; I understand the concept. Never had a wreck due to someone else's arrogance or insanity. I constantly monitor rear and side views, so I know what's coming up behind me and what's beside me. But when I'm going around someone, I'm not going to alter my speed because someone thinks they have more right to the road than I do. They can wait till I'm done passing, then I'll get over.

Edited by daddyo
  • Like 3
Well I for one ignore them and get over asap. Now if the idiot flashes his lights, honks or makes any other stupid signals I have been known to slow down. Now I mean slow down so I can get back in my lane safely, now how slow I do it depends on the mood I'm in. I don't flip anyone off, I don't give any hand signals, I drive a bunch (got an 06 dodge ram with 199000 miles on it) and I try to be courteous so I feel that moving over is the correct thing to do, I just prefer to slow down and not put my truck under anymore stress that necessary. :D
  • Like 1

I just don't understand this behavior. It's like they enjoy being next to a giant death-machine, cruising at 70mph. Step on the gas, for cryin' out loud!

They obviously haven't had a 120 pound tire with 100+ PSI and spinning at 70 MPH blow out next to their window. God forbid it be a steer tire. 

Of all the things I encounter as a truck driver, this is probably the most aggravating. Not only is it extremely unsafe for someone in a small vehicle to ride alongside a semi, it leaves the truck driver one less escape route, in the event we need to make a sudden lane change for any number of reasons.

• Like 2

While we're at it, all you guys educate everybody else that the on ramp to the interstate is called the "acceleration lane" whereby you accelerate to speed and merge in.  You do not putt down the ramp at 35 mph and stop at the end and look at everybody else as if they are the moron.

• Like 3
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1071597" timestamp="1385873457"] They obviously haven't had a 120 pound tire with 100+ PSI and spinning at 70 MPH blow out next to their window. God forbid it be a steer tire.[/quote] You can say that again. I had one blow a tire in front of me as I was changing lanes to pass it and the tread flew up and over my car. I was lucky it didnt hit my windshield. Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk Edited by Hozzie

- OS

Not only is it unsafe; it's illegal.  If you are in the passing lane you must be going fast enough to actually pass the vehicle to your right and if you aren't willing to speed up enough to do so quickly and get out of the way then you need to move back to the right lane.

Guest Bassman17SC

Assuming the road ahead was clear, I would've sped up a little and let the guy go. If you move into the left lane, you should match the speed of the existing traffic or get out of the way.

^^^^THIS.^^^^

Just press the accelerator pedal a bit, pass the other vehicle, and get in the right lane; your cruise control will settle back down to your set speed.  There was no need to perform a brake check.

So, if I'm passing someone at, say 72, and some asshat comes racing up on my butt at 85, I should increase my speed to 85 to accommodate him?

No. The OP stated he saw the car coming at a high rate of speed before pulling into the left lane. Either wait until they pass or make a modest effort to expedite passing the slower car.

Not only is it unsafe; it's illegal.  If you are in the passing lane you must be going fast enough to actually pass the vehicle to your right and if you aren't willing to speed up enough to do so quickly and get out of the way then you need to move back to the right lane.

Maybe you can direct me to the appropriate section of the TCA. I've looked in Section 55 and cannot find anything about this being illegal.