Venom Extraction

I would not begin to know how to use the venom to make an antidote.  Now, I would not mind having a supply of it for nefarious purposes in a  SHTF scenario ....    some of that good stuff that clots all your blood in like 10 seconds would be a nice tool against zombies.  

This stuff

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/05/20/heres-what-snake-venom-does-to-blood/

which might be useful to stop bleeding, but its too dangerous for anyone but a medical pro.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

I would not begin to know how to use the venom to make an antidote.  Now, I would not mind having a supply of it for nefarious purposes in a  SHTF scenario ....    some of that good stuff that clots all your blood in like 10 seconds would be a nice tool against zombies.  

This stuff

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/05/20/heres-what-snake-venom-does-to-blood/

which might be useful to stop bleeding, but its too dangerous for anyone but a medical pro.

IIRC, one of the key ingredients in making anti-venom is horse blood but I can't recall from where I heard that, xjsnake could probably give a better answer than I could. Dealing with hot snakes is not something ANYONE should do without proper training, I used to catch rattlers at my buddies when I was younger and MUCH dumber, looking back on it I could kick myself for what I did as it was VERY irresponsible.

Basically you take diluted venom and inject animals with it. Once the animals develop antibodies to fight the venom you extract the antibodies from the animal blood, purify it and it's "antivenom".

That's it in a nutshell.

And yes you can make a lot of money but

1) It's extremely dangerous

2) It's very hard to get started

3) You have to constantly produce a quality product or you get shunned completely for one screwup

Currently snake venom is used to produce or create medications for high blood pressure, strokes, alzheimers, parkinsons and many others.

I was on a different site a few months back and someone has a bunch of hots ..he also took pictures and these  snakes  and they where absolutely stunning. The colors where so vibrant and clear.. And the snakes themselves where also very neat looking. Never seen anything like that .

I have a good respect for people who can  keep these and not poo themselves every time they are in the same room..

Brass Ballz.. they got em..

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Guest carter

only problem with brass balls... kinda blows your cover (clank clank clank) 

but i do remember , I think, a drug rep telling me about there new drug Effient blah blah blah (eating the food they bring) i believe it has venom of some sort in it. 

Learned way more than I wanted to know about antivenin this year. My 11 year old son experienced a copperhead bite. Crofab is the "antivenom" used for our tn snakes which are all in the pit viper family. Drug bill and lab work was 20k.....and he only needed a single dose. Triple digit drug bills for adults bitten by more venomous snakes are not unheard of. Crofab is made from injecting venom into sheep and seems to have fewer side effects than the equine version. One of our toxicologists told us of a little boy who found a very cool "worm" wile playing outside. His Mom called him in the house. Concerned that mom would not allow the "worm" in the house, he shoved it down the front of his pants in an attempt to sneak it in. Of course the "worm" was a copperhead and the story ends with a bite where you least want one. That is one of those mistakes you don't make twice. Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 2

There seems to be two camps on Copper Head snake bites? Half of what I've read and seen on programs suggests that Copper Head venom is the weakest of all pit vipers and not much worse than being stung by a wasp? Just keep an eye out for symptoms for 24 hours and disinfect the bitten area to prevent infection.

The other camp says they are highly venomous and worse than a Cotton Mouth, to get to a hospital ASAP?

I suspect it's like bees, wasp's or spider bites, whether or not your the 1% or so that's allergic to the toxins or not.

With the number of Copper Heads around here I come into contact with, I'd hate to have that kind of medical bill and waste my time in a boring hospital if it's like a bee sting event, should I ever get hit by one.

There seems to be two camps on Copper Head snake bites? Half of what I've read and seen on programs suggests that Copper Head venom is the weakest of all pit vipers and not much worse than being stung by a wasp? Just keep an eye out for symptoms for 24 hours and disinfect the bitten area to prevent infection.

The other camp says they are highly venomous and worse than a Cotton Mouth, to get to a hospital ASAP?

I suspect it's like bees, wasp's or spider bites, whether or not your the 1% or so that's allergic to the toxins or not.

With the number of Copper Heads around here I come into contact with, I'd hate to have that kind of medical bill and waste my time in a boring hospital if it's like a bee sting event, should I ever get hit by one.

The thing about Copperheads is that they are the most docile of the four venomous family of snakes here. About 50% of bites result in a "dry" bite which is where no venom is injected as the venom they produce is meant for prey, not predators. Unless deathly allergic or a child/elderly are involved, it's not unheard of to just keep someone under observation after a bite. Cottonmouth's are more aggressive which will result in more bites if threatened and they've been known to even give chase.

Edited by whitewolf001

Oh.. sorry to hear that.

.Did they say there would be lasting effects ?

Full recovery with no lasting effects.....although he is still hoping to get a superpower out of it. 

He was bitten as it was getting dark coming out of the woods (barefoot of course....this is Tennessee).  He did not get a good look at the snake.  It was clear it was a venomous bite which meant it was a rattler or copperhead around our parts.   It got really swollen really quick from the bottom of his foot way up his ankle.  I am glad we got him to the hospital.  We took him to our local hospital first.  They observed him for 4 hours and then transferred us to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.  

I have been in and out of the woods my whole life (as has my wife) and neither of us had ever thought about snake bites.  What we learned was:

1.  We had plenty of time to go straight to Vanderbilt.  In hindsight, we wish we had gone straight there.   Vanderbilt Children's was incredible.  

2.  Old protocols have changed.  They no longer recommend tourniquets or the cut and suck method.  

3.  The young are resilient.   His foot looked identical to an adult that was bitten same day while in the hospital.    Two weeks out, my son was running on his foot again while the adult was still non weight bearing and had a nasty looking foot.

4.  Vanderbilt Children's was amazing.   The level of compassion and concern was incredible.  The doctors made you feel like they were your only patient and always hung around until they were sure any questions you had were answered.

Edited by vaiger

I have never even been close to bitten by one, and encountered many.   If left alone, it will leave you alone, so getting bit means either going out of your way to aggravate one or stepping on one.  Can't really avoid stepping on something you did not see and the darn things have really good camo in the dark or woods or leaves.

Dunno about the potency but the worthless wiki says even a loaded bite is rarely that dangerous and often the crofab is avoided as the cure can be as risky as the venom.   Whatever that is worth.