12V Battery Box

Guest TNSovereignty

Guest TNSovereignty

Has anyone here built a portable battery box ... something to power some LED lights, a radio, and maybe some smaller RV/boat appliances?  I'm thinking of rigging something up w/ a marine battery, adding volt/amp meters, 2-3 plugs, and keeping it charged with a small solar panel.  

Goal will be to power up a few essentials around the house if the grid goes down - for a day, week, maybe longer.  I have a generator for the freezers, water pump, etc ... but I'm thinking a 12V system would be a great backup, and a good way to charge up the smaller batteries & electronics as well.

I found a youtube on this but alas, my satellite internet has severe restrictions & I can't watch video.  I'd love to find a project that someone else has done.  It goes without saying that I'm not much of an electrician ... but I know how to make sparks.

Yup, yup! I have a large battery from a school bus neatly fitted into a large, heavy duty plastic, tool box. There's just enough room for it and my power management box that goes to my three solar panels. The cable is about 25' so' I keep the box inside my bug out can and I can set the panels up outside to charge. I've also found a neat little gimmick. It's a jumper cable that lets you boost a car from cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter. Kind of a joke for actually boosting engines but it allows me to charge the van battery from solar unit without any back feed into the system.

The management box, powered by the battery will supply lights for the entire van, as well as some small personal fans, small device charging like batteries or cell phones, and a radio/cb.

A DC power box is a must for any bug out camper set up. Generators are loud and consume too much fuel.
Guest TNSovereignty

Thanks gents - Thundersnow ... I'm checking the link next, and the book sounds intriguing; Caster ... that's exactly what I'm looking to do.  I may request to hit you up for a photo or something to guide my efforts.  I'm better at copying others' smart work than originating my own!

1. Don't charge a lead-acid battery indoors. You'll want a gel-cell or AGM battery for indoors.

2. The best solar panels will give you about 10 watts per sq ft of panel when the sun is shining brightly. It takes a large panel to keep a battery charged during daily usage.

Nothing wrong with using the sun to charge batteries, but I'd have more than one big battery and charge them from the grid before the power goes out.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest CWO4Mann

Best Practices for Ham Radio and other survival radio personnel is to use the connector system called "Powerpole Connectors"  You can see them here:  http://www.westmountainradio.com/dc_power.php  Our local Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) group has standardized all radio and accessory connections using the Powerpole system.  Standardization for emergency radio systems is essential.  Those of you who have CB or Family Radio equipment can use this system also.  Matter of fact, in my ARES Move-Out Chest (waterproof footlocker) I have 2 CB radios, a set of FRS handies and a mobile FRS which has been modified to use an external antenna (5/8 wave whip) and the Powerpole system.  I am one of the local ARES folks who is certified and has a local EOC badge.  Many of our members also have taken the various exams AND most of us aare CCW card carriers too.  I figure that when TSHTF there might now be others with Ham Radio gear but there might be trapped or dislocated citizens with an FRS left over from their last trip to the National Park.  Relays of messages can be done between the various FCC radio services, so haveing this commonality of connectors means never being unable to plug in and communicate.

I built this last Summer.  Two semi truck sized gel batteries linked together with a power inverter.  Each battery box has a 12v port, the inverter has multiple 110 plugs and usb ports.  Both batteries stay on a battery tender as long as we have power, the solar panels are just for back up.  The hand truck makes it very portable.

[URL=http://s136.photobucket.com/user/pitt2magic/media/IMG_0299_zps72471a94.jpg.html]IMG_0299_zps72471a94.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s136.photobucket.com/user/pitt2magic/media/IMG_0301_zps532071c6.jpg.html]IMG_0301_zps532071c6.jpg[/URL]

Guest TNSovereignty

I built this last Summer.  Two semi truck sized gel batteries linked together with a power inverter.  Each battery box has a 12v port, the inverter has multiple 110 plugs and usb ports.  Both batteries stay on a battery tender as long as we have power, the solar panels are just for back up.  The hand truck makes it very portable.

That's a nice rig ... really like the hand truck idea.  I might end up doing a couple of these ... a smaller one with one of the fold-up solar cells for camping or bugout, and possibly a large one to wheel into the house to run led lights, radio, etc. 

Here is an Amazon link to the inverter  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002O5P8BA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is an O'Riley's link for the batteries, I'm 99% sure this is what I went with:  http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSB2/31DCM/N0056.oap?ck=Search_marine+deep+cycle_-1_-1&keyword=marine+deep+cycle

Amazon link for solar panels:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026TBFIO/ref=oh_details_o06_s02_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by pitt2magic
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest theconstitutionrocks

Has anyone here built a portable battery box ... something to power some LED lights, a radio, and maybe some smaller RV/boat appliances?  I'm thinking of rigging something up w/ a marine battery, adding volt/amp meters, 2-3 plugs, and keeping it charged with a small solar panel.  

Goal will be to power up a few essentials around the house if the grid goes down - for a day, week, maybe longer.  I have a generator for the freezers, water pump, etc ... but I'm thinking a 12V system would be a great backup, and a good way to charge up the smaller batteries & electronics as well.

I found a youtube on this but alas, my satellite internet has severe restrictions & I can't watch video.  I'd love to find a project that someone else has done.  It goes without saying that I'm not much of an electrician ... but I know how to make sparks.

Yeah, pretty simple 12 volt system. Might not need it but adding a 200-400 watt inverter would give you the option for some 120 volt power. As far as the battery, you might want to consider an AGM vs flooded lead acid (FLA). They are a lil more expensive but you don't have to worry about spills/fluid levels. Could also keep it topped off with a battery charger when you have power. Another good trick, for short term light duty stuff are those self contained jump starters

The best bang is to use 6v golf cart batteries. 4 of them wired series parallel will give you many hours of run time. They are also designed for deep discharge and rapid recharge. I've run about every type of battery available and my preference from best to worst is 6v, group 31, deep cycle, agm, everything else. The 6v and 31s will outlast about everything else. My income used to depend on how long the batteries in my machines would last both in a single run and in time before replacement. As for charging batteries inside, so long as it is in a well ventilated area you are fine. I wouldn't charge one in my kitchen, but the garage is fine. Or in my case many times in a hotel room. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1