.300BlackOut vs 6.8x43mmSPC in an AR

whitewolf001

What say you TGO? So far in my pros and cons, the 6.8 is a faster round with more inertia and is cheaper per round buying over the counter by about .30-.50 per round BUT the .300 can be made off of 5.56 and can use the 5.56 mags instead of the proprietary mags that need to be used with 6.8 and the bcg needing to be swapped as well is another increase in cost on the 6.8. What are your thoughts? Curses be upon this numbers game!!!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't these two rounds have completely different uses? If that's the case, I'd make the decision based on what I want out of the rifle.

If money is an issue and if using components that are widely available is an issue...what not just stick to 5.56?

Don't these two rounds have completely different uses? If that's the case, I'd make the decision based on what I want out of the rifle.
If money is an issue and if using components that are widely available is an issue...what not just stick to 5.56?

Yup, I'm running into the same conundrum as whitewolf. I've got 2 5.56 ARs already and want something different for the next one. Of course, I've got the TGO recievers coming in, but I've also got a spare upper floating around as well so its likely that at some point I'll do both, plus maybe a SOCOM as well.

My difficulty is deciding what I want to do with the TGO lower/upper. Some are going Grendel, some are going Blackout. Others still are going 5.56.

Decisions decisions...

Nothing to compare between these two. Remington ammunition in 6.8 may get cheaper, but most of the good stuff is over a buck

a round.

It's just like the goofy attempt at comparing the 6.5 Grendel to the 6.8. Nothing to compare there, either. The 6.8's purpose was

as a replacement to the 5.56, being a heavier round, but having to replace bolt, barrel and magazine.

Edited by 6.8 AR

My use is not going suppressed, such as with .300, but rather to just get a heavier slug down range in a AR platform which both will provide. In the higher end cartridges they're both relatively even in price but on the lower end 6.8 has it beat. I like AR10's BUT already have everything for a 5.56 platform so I just wanna stick with that. I've also heard you can convert the followers in 5.56 mags and make 25 round 6.8 mags, I assume this is true after seeing the Barrett 30 round mags look like a 40 round mag but I prattle. As I said, my main concern is just getting a heavier slug downrange but having the 5.56 mag capacity, I suppose I should've started with that but meh. :p

Nothing to compare between these two. Remington ammunition in 6.8 may get cheaper, but most of the good stuff is over a buck

a round.

It's just like the goofy attempt at comparing the 6.5 Grendel to the 6.8. Nothing to compare there, either. The 6.8's purpose was

as a replacement to the 5.56, being a heavier round, but having to replace bolt, barrel and magazine.

Explain, you've piqued my curiosity. Now this is going off my limited knowledge but 6.8 was developed not as a total replacement of 5.56 but for a SBR application for military usage since 5.56 in a short barrel heavily compromises it's kinetic energy, right? 6.5 is a heavier slug but is more meant to be much more accurate at longer distances with an AR, is this correct or am I wrong? This is just from stuff I've heard about and one or two articles I've read. I'd like to hear it from someone who has actually used the rounds and/or loads them. ^_^

6.5 is no comparison. It's a long range accurate round. 6.8 was put up as a replacement because it's a harder hitting round.

Don't try to change the followers. That's never worked well. To convert to a 6.8 you need a barrel, bolt and magazine to make

the gun. Blackout, I'm not sold on it, yet. I still have one on my bench. It's main benefit is suppressed subsonic. I'm sure Dolomite

may have more to say on that. Mine won't be suppressed, so I don't put much into the round.

A supersonic Blackout round is the equivalent of the 7.62 x 39, except with better bullets. I think it's a great alternative caliber. It's the cheapest alternative caliber too. especially if you reload 5.56  

The Grendel really is a whole nuther animal. It can be loaded as a good combat or hunting round, but shines at long range.

If you're going to shoot suppressed/SBR, the .300BLK is the round, without a doubt.

But you said you aren't, so for supersonic use the 6.8SPC gets the nod.  However, IMO it doesn't represent "enough" of a gain over 5.56 loads like the 77gr SMK to merit swapping all the parts.  My 20" 1-8" gun was ringing steel with ease at 600 yards with Hornady 75gr OTM awhile back, and I don't know jack about shooting at distance.

Were I you, I'd build a dedicated precision 5.56 gun (or just upper, if you want).  :2cents:

DanO

The deal with an AR-15... there's only so much snort you can put behind a bullet without topping out the gun. Nothing wrong with any of the popular calibers. They're just limited. The Grendel will break a bolt if you're not careful. I have a .223 with a 24" bull and a high power scope. It plays pretty well at 600. It won't outshoot the Grendel at 600, especially if there's any wind.

Edited by mikegideon