Night stand guns caliber and capacity

I don't have a gun in my nightstand.

After a couple of burglaries a few years ago, I have learned not to leave high-value theft targets in obvious places.  Burglaries of occupied homes with the intent of violence against the occupants are very rare compared to burglaries of unoccupied homes with the intent to steal.

If you want to ensure that your guns get stolen in a burglary, make sure to put them in the nightstand.  Saves the burglars a lot of effort.  Desk drawers are another labor-saving location for the burglars.

Edited by JC57

After a couple of burglaries a few years ago, I have learned not to leave high-value theft targets in obvious places.  Burglaries of occupied homes with the intent of violence against the occupants are very rare compared to burglaries of unoccupied homes with the intent to steal.

If you want to ensure that your guns get stolen in a burglary, make sure to put them in the nightstand.  Saves the burglars a lot of effort.  Desk drawers are another labor-saving location for the burglars.

That’s home invasion. They are a whole different breed of criminal from a burglar and I can tell you from responding to the aftermath; you better be able to put a loaded functioning gun in your hand in seconds.
  • Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils
I'm at home literally 95% of the time (work at home, play at home, etc). If I go out and wife won't be home while I'm gone, the bedside gun goes in the safe. Of course there's no better way to tell a burglar where your guns are, than to have a gun safe. :)

After a couple of burglaries a few years ago, I have learned not to leave high-value theft targets in obvious places. Burglaries of occupied homes with the intent of violence against the occupants are very rare compared to burglaries of unoccupied homes with the intent to steal.

If you want to ensure that your guns get stolen in a burglary, make sure to put them in the nightstand. Saves the burglars a lot of effort. Desk drawers are another labor-saving location for the burglars.

It's a rare occurance that I leave a gun on the nightstand while I am away. Nine times out of ten my daily carry whatever is what sits on the nightstand while i am at home.
  • Like 1

My closest firearm when sleeping is a hammerless Automatic under the top sheet. Small caliber but next to last resort in the extremely unlikely circumstance that I don't hear someone breaking in. I tend to vary the nightstand weapon from week to week. .40, 9, .45, .41, .38.  But most assuredly I ALWAYS bring a firearm(and my cellphone) in the bedroom when I'm headed to bed.  There might even be  a "hideout" small caliber surprise in the bathroom.

My Glock 23 rides the nightstand, it has over 3000 perfect rounds through it without issue. I wouldn't mind switching to something else quiter in hopes of saving my hearing if fired numerous times inside the house. While I can't tell a difference between shooting 9/40/45 I think the 40 is louder w/ more flash. I once worried about an intruder having body armor but feel the continuous volley of fire will deter them out of the house if at least one round doesn't hit face, neck, groin, arm, or leg.

You are absolutely correct to consider the effect of an inside blast on your hearing.  I would hopefully grab the small caliber option IF I felt the actual intrusion in my home. Most times when I grab a firearm off the nightstand it's to check a disturbance outside. Most often wildlife in my location. 

Just a fyi...

A friend owns a shop. He and his employees carry on premises as he is an FLL. 

Last Monday a trio in hoods, masks and the leader with a gun tried to rob the place.

The employee working noticed something fishy outside the glass door and had his hand on his holstered pistol.

In they came, pistol waving everywhere.

He grabbed plastic and got a round off before his gun jammed open.

Shoot went high, and wide left into the wall.

Luckily for him the dudes where climbing all over themselves running out the door.

There are three ways of looking at it.

1) No one got hurt.

2) Those young kids learned a lesson that didn't cost them their lives. 

3) The guy didn't kill a kid but needs to learn how to shoot.

Lastly, I said he grabbed plastic because it was a Glock. 

That's the second time I've had a friend with a Glock that locked open on firing

and a very good reason I've never owned nor will own a Glock.

The other friend bought himself a model 29 or 39, I can't remember which one but it;s a compact Glock in 

.45 acp. He spent $250 to have the slide milled to accept this itty bitty red dot sight which he also paid big bucks for.

He had a trigger job done to it. Out at the range he'd shoot and it'd lock open after a few shots. He sent it back to Glock.

They, of course, took out the trigger job and replaced with with their crap again and said, all better. Back for a trigger job.

bang, lock, bang, lock. etc. Out comes the trigger job and back to Glock who sends it back, all fine. That is when I ran into him out 

at the range. We always shoot together so he asked me to shoot the gun. I do. Bang, bang, bang...lefty, righty, two-handed. bang, bang, bang!

In my mind it shoots. Ugly but shoots. He takes it back and bang, locks open. He was calling it a jam. I watched and couldn't see anything he was

doing wrong while standing on his right side, He was at his wits end and was saying howhe likes how it feels and carries and really does't want

to get rid of it. I said, let me shoot it again and did. Bang, bang...he said wait! Why was my thumb low on the left side? I told him that's how I hold the 

pistol. To make a long story a lil bit shorter his thumb was high up just under the slide lock and was pushing up in recoil, locking the pistol open.

He lowered his thumb on the pistol and had no further issues.

However, there is one issue....

In an emergency we revert to how we practice. Just like the guy at the shop. 2 Glocks, 2 lock ups. I checked and there may be more instances,

Another buddy's wife bought one and had jams/stovepipes which turned out to be limp wristing.  She finally worked her way out of that after a few

thousand rounds.

I'll stick with my Colt .45acp. I've never limp wrested it and never will. I have not had it lock up through thousands of rounds. I keep it clean and oiled.

The point of this long winded post is what ever gun you have in your night stand or wherever, make sure that you can pick it up off a table or out of

a drawer or bench at the range and shoot it with out malfunction. Every time. The best gun in the world won't help you if it goes "click" when you need it the most.

Lp 

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 1

He grabbed plastic and got a round off before his gun jammed open.
Shoot went high, and wide left into the wall.

Lastly, I said he grabbed plastic because it was a Glock. 
That's the second time I've had a friend with a Glock that locked open on firing
and a very good reason I've never owned nor will own a Glock.

I’m certainly not a Glock fan and would never own one either, but I find it against the odds that a person knowledgeable with firearms and having tested the carry weapon for a couple of hundred rounds prior to carrying would have a failure the first time he needed it. I understand that it could happen, but it could happen with any mechanical device.
What turned out to be the cause of the failure?

3) The guy didn't kill a kid but needs to learn how to shoot.

But it also shows what the experience of facing an armed shooter is like. I doubt your friend would throw a round that far off at the range with the target feet away.
Your friend that shot at the masked individuals is no different than about half of those folks that pull and shoot their autos in an emergency. I have heard so many reports about malfunctions when needing the weapon and I would say a lot of it has to do with never testing under stressful conditions with the carry ammo. All of this assuming you do not believe in Murphy's Law.

Just a fyi...

Why am I not surprised that a significantly modified weapon had malfunctions?

The only thing you really need to change on a Glock pistol are the sites. After that maybe the magazine release and the slide release if the size of your hands dictates the need for such a change - any changes after that and you're really just looking for a place for a malfunction to happen.

More to the point, for every anecdotal example of where a Glock malfunctioned I can likely easily find dozens of examples where some other style of weapon malfunctioned when it was needed the most. Anecdotal examples are horrible basis upon which to base an opinion. Can a 1911 or some other style pistol or revolver be extremely reliable and accurate? Of course they can. But 25 years of use and millions of rounds of ammunition expended have also proven the same to be true of Glock and similarly styled pistols. Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

The only thing you really need to change on a Glock pistol are the sites. After that maybe the magazine release and the slide release if the size of your hands dictates the need for such a change - any changes after that and you're really just looking for a place for a malfunction to happen.

I would argue that the extended slide release is asking for a problem as well.
Change the sights if you wish but leave Glocks the way they come.
  • Like 1

I’m certainly not a Glock fan and would never own one either, but I find it against the odds that a person knowledgeable with firearms and having tested the carry weapon for a couple of hundred rounds prior to carrying would have a failure the first time he needed it. I understand that it could happen, but it could happen with any mechanical device.
What turned out to be the cause of the failure?

But it also shows what the experience of facing an armed shooter is like. I doubt your friend would throw a round that far off at the range with the target feet away.

His thumb locked the slide open in recoil.

Lp

SA 1911 with a Surefire right next to it. M14 by the bedroom door with 20 rds in the mag. If I dump 9 rounds of .45 and 20 rounds of .308 into a target and its still alive, then I guess its down to one of bowies and one hell of a fight. The rifle is more for the coyote issues than home invasion. Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots

That’s home invasion. They are a whole different breed of criminal from a burglar and I can tell you from responding to the aftermath; you better be able to put a loaded functioning gun in your hand in seconds.

Yes, I've experienced a home invasion first hand.  You definitely want to be able to arm yourself very quickly.  I didn't say I couldn't get a loaded functioning gun in my hands in seconds, I said I don't leave one in the nightstand. :)

I guess you'd say I have two. My Glock 19 in a bedside holster thingamajig (no opening drawers) with 15+1 of 9mm, then my wife's LCP in her top drawer in her nightstand. Other defensive weapons placed different places, should we not be in our bedroom
Guest Lowbuster
My side SW 40 cal 14+1 and 18 1/4 inch 12 guage double barrell bounty hunter. Mammas side SW model 640 357 mag.

We got a sheltie that will bark the hell out of a intruder and pee in the floor while running for them to slip in.