TGO Upper Receiver Vise Blocks

Well that sucks.

You called it early on. I got mine at JSE surplus for 35 bucks. They're out of stock now. 45 bucks at Midway and Brownell's...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/730930/dpms-upper-receiver-action-block-ar-15-delrin

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bench-vise-blocks/ar-15-ar-style-308-upper-receiver-block-prod17094.aspx

BTW... I'm pretty sure Gordon has one.

Edited by mikegideon

Geissele reaction rod works :)

That's a new one on me. Leave it to Geissele to dream up something like that :) I'm thinking anything that uses the takedown pin holes will work too. I'm pretty fond of the Dpms because of the way it fits into the upper channel of the receiver.

Edited by mikegideon
I have one as well as a torque wrench and barrel nut wrenches for most major brands. I'd be happy to assist established TGO members in the Sumner area if they would like to stop by and torque their barrel on. I'm not a gunsmith and the use of tools is free.
  • Like 2

Guys, if you have a 2x4 and a router (not the Cisco variety ;) ) you can make your own vise block like the one Mike pictured above. I didn't think to put in the holes for the take down pins, but it worked. Next time I'll add the holes. 

F0D6ED38-AC38-4DC1-B99B-418983F850BA_zps

Never thought of that. You sure don't want to do it wrong. A friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, wound up with a twisted upper receiver. I don't know the details, but do know that the receiver wound up in the can.

That's pretty cool, Lagerhead. I'm going to do that with a piece of oak. That's one thing that can be made. I have the black clamp in

type. It's not very good with the milspec upper, but it does work. Of course, I'll have to get a couple of CMT's uppers. :D

That's pretty cool, Lagerhead. I'm going to do that with a piece of oak. That's one thing that can be made. I have the black clamp in

type. It's not very good with the milspec upper, but it does work. Of course, I'll have to get a couple of CMT's uppers. :D

I was thinking hardwood too. As you know, I usually lose the barrel nut lottery, and wind up having to put some eye popping torque on some of them. This first TGO upper is getting a Lite Rail, so the nut will be torqued at 30.

I still haven't gotten any rails for the Blackout and the Noveske , but I'm leaning towards your recommendation, and 173rd's.

That one he showed me was just, plain light. Troy Noveske rail. I might just have to try them both. Light is good. :D

You know, every time you torque one of those nuts on, they do seem to be tight as Hell when you go to take them off. :D

Been my experience.

Edited by 6.8 AR
I have one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/740625/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-upper-receiver-and-picatinny-rail-vise-block-ar-15-ar-10-lr-308

If anyone in Nashville needs needs to borrow it for a TGO build, let me know.
  • Like 1

I was thinking hardwood too. As you know, I usually lose the barrel nut lottery, and wind up having to put some eye popping torque on some of them. This first TGO upper is getting a Lite Rail, so the nut will be torqued at 30.

No need to put that kind of torque on it. Dolomite gave me the following advice, and it worked beautifully:

"When tightening the barrel nut go hand tight then use the wrench to line the holes up for the gas tube. Even if it is only a little bit that is plenty. And if you need to you can muscle it if it is too far away. I would add a little grease to the threads as well."

No need to put that kind of torque on it. Dolomite gave me the following advice, and it worked beautifully:

"When tightening the barrel nut go hand tight then use the wrench to line the holes up for the gas tube. Even if it is only a little bit that is plenty. And if you need to you can muscle it if it is too far away. I would add a little grease to the threads as well."

I always add grease. No offense, but if there is a spec, I'll pay attention to it. Just the way I was raised. I have a lapping tool on the way now, which is another accepted way to control barrel nut torque. If you really lose the lottery, the torque will go out of spec on the high end before you ever get lined up. Lapping is the only fix for that, unless you want to set it at less than minimum torque.

• Like 1