TGO Upper Receiver Vise Blocks

Ok... Inspired by Lagerhead. I decided to buy an upper receiver lapping tool, and neither one of my blocks would work. So, I made this out of a 1/2" plywood scrap. I don't think it would stand up to a barrel installation. It will work great for the lapper.

IMG_0977a_zps792e68dc.jpg

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

I still haven't gotten any rails for the Blackout and the Noveske , but I'm leaning towards your recommendation, and 173rd's.

That one he showed me was just, plain light. Troy Noveske rail. I might just have to try them both. Light is good. :D

You know, every time you torque one of those nuts on, they do seem to be tight as Hell when you go to take them off. :D

Been my experience.

I picked up a 13" Troy/Noveske rail in the classieds the other day and it is extremely light like you said. I figured it would be light but not this light so now I just hope I can fit it over my Blackout's gas block.

Ok... Inspired by Lagerhead. I decided to buy an upper receiver lapping tool, and neither one of my blocks would work. So, I made this out of a 1/2" plywood scrap. I don't think it would stand up to a barrel installation. It will work great for the lapper.

IMG_0977a_zps792e68dc.jpg

What does the lapping tool consist of? got a link? I was already planning to hone it down rather than crank on it because I feel like any extra tension over the minimum torque could cause parts to be pre stressed and could cause inconsistencies at different heat ranges. Probably doesn't much matter for most AR15 compatible calibers but I think it could show it's ugly head when reaching way out there with the Grendel.

The clamshell block I have works as well.  I don't recall the brand, but it came in a kit that included a gas tube alignment tool.  So I guess it's hit or miss on those.  If one were to invest in a block just for this build, I would invest in the one that attaches at the bottom using the takedown pins.

The clamshell block I have works as well.  I don't recall the brand, but it came in a kit that included a gas tube alignment tool.  So I guess it's hit or miss on those.  If one were to invest in a block just for this build, I would invest in the one that attaches at the bottom using the takedown pins.

Be real careful. My clamshell tries  to work. Billet receivers are just thicker than forged. Since the inside dimensions are the same, they just gotta be bigger on the outside. It won't take much misplaced force to ruin the receiver. I have always hated the way my clamshell puts a shiny spot or two in the finish anyway. So, I'll probably use the DMPS block for everything going forward.

• Like 1

How much effort are we seeing there? I assume you used a drill

It's not that bad. It's low RPM and low pressure. You to have to keep adding lapping compound. It's hard to see your progress. And, you have to make sure you don't go too far. I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't a precision rifle. If you're just indexing a barrel nut, you wind up taking a LOT less off. You won't even break through the finish.

• Like 1

Anyone used the Brownells version? It's similar to the Geissele reaction rod. But instead of the rod going in the vise the Armorers wrench goes in the vise. http://youtu.be/n4Y_JrfDcXU

I LIKE that. Brownell's rocks. I buy quite a bit of stuff from them, mostly on the Sinclair side.

Anyone used the Brownells version? It's similar to the Geissele reaction rod. But instead of the rod going in the vise the Armorers wrench goes in the vise.

http://youtu.be/n4Y_JrfDcXU

That is WAY cool... I don't need to spend any more money on assembly tools but this is going on the list. I wanted to buy some extra springs for spare parts so I needed something to round out the purchase anyway...

Mark

If anybody near me needs to borrow one, I have an aluminum upper receiver block that pins in just like the nylon ones shown previously in the thread.  It rents at very low rates in the Franklin, TN area for beer, brass, or good company.  If you're now asking yourself whether or not you're good company, I prefer Guiness in the 16 oz. pub cans and shoot 9mm, 5.56, and .30-06.

Edited by StPatrick
  • Like 2