the tgo receiver build thread

reed1285

Other than going 16" for all the obvious reasons, should be plenty of good choices out there.

I'm a bit on the fence with that. Pinning doesn't scare me so it's more about practical consideration. Currently I'm leaning shorter.

I'm a bit on the fence with that. Pinning doesn't scare me so it's more about practical consideration. Currently I'm leaning shorter.

Shorter is a whole nuther animal if you feel like putting up with the long wait. I just never could see the advantage of that 1 1/2", and giving up my ability to do anything on the barrel assembly without taking it to a smith. 

• Like 1

Shorter is a whole nuther animal if you feel like putting up with the long wait. I just never could see the advantage of that 1 1/2", and giving up my ability to do anything on the barrel assembly without taking it to a smith. 

Agreed.  I've never understood the point of a 14.5 with a pinned muzzle device compared to a standard 16". 

• Like 2

The high speed match. For your gun, the SSA-E is IT. Just giving you some crap :)

Gotcha. :up: A "match" trigger isn't what I'm looking for. I've never seen or touched a Geissele trigger, and simply picked the one that sounded best to me from the youtube description he gives. I hope it's worth the cash. At least I got it on sale!

Gotcha. :up: A "match" trigger isn't what I'm looking for. I've never seen or touched a Geissele trigger, and simply picked the one that sounded best to me from the youtube description he gives. I hope it's worth the cash. At least I got it on sale!

It has been worth it to me. I have 4 of his triggers. You will see the quality when you open the bag. Pricey, but a good value.

Edited by mikegideon

It's more about balance. I have the pistol, I'm likely to go long with a different build so I figured the next would be a "short medium".

I did see an interesting build where someone had turned-down the flash hider. He could slip the gas block off over the hider if needed. Unfortunately I'm latheless.

It's more about balance. I have the pistol, I'm likely to go long with a different build so I figured the next would be a "short medium".

I did see an interesting build where someone had turned-down the flash hider. He could slip the gas block off over the hider if needed. Unfortunately I'm latheless.

Balance is pretty easy. Ain't no shortage of AR trinkets, and they all add weight. You may be able to offset that extra 1 1/2 with some spare batteries in the grip, or a different stock, or...

MAS Defense. It's the one I got for my build.

Yep, I swiped it from his build thread after hearing that they(MAS defense) had better than average customer service. 

My pistol has progressed a little bit since that last shot as It now has a barrel, LPK, and free float rail- (sights finally came in as well but they went on after this pic)

11576561306_d85136442d_z.jpg

[quote name="2.ooohhh" post="1091657" timestamp="1389213050"]Yep, I swiped it from his build thread after hearing that they(MAS defense) had better than average customer service. My pistol has progressed a little bit since that last shot as It now has a barrel, LPK, and free float rail- (sights finally came in as well but they went on after this pic) 11576561306_d85136442d_z.jpg[/quote] How was your experience with MAS?

How was your experience with MAS?

Excellent, fair price, quality parts, and shipped fast. (It showed up before my LPK, Barrel, Gas block/tube, and sights all ordered on the same day from other venders) Only companies I have had similar service from during this particular build (During the holiday season no less) have been D&T, Bravo Company, and Amazon.

PSA gets slightly less than honorable mention b/c of the glacial speed shipping, though prices go a long way to make up for it if you can wait in most cases.

• Like 1
Im thinking since im sbr'ing my receiver set and obviously not looking for precision, ill be going with the geissele s3g trigger. Wish i could try one before i drop the dough but people seem to like them when used for their intended purpose. Edited by reed1285

I just wanted to bump this thread back up and get opinions on barrels, gas blocks, hand guards etc. I was originally planning on going cheap with this build but once I got a matching upper I opted for the AIM NiB BCG. While it was a great price the gun so far is shaping up to be pretty nice I think. I'm wanting to go with a 16 inch in 5.56. I really dig some of the thinner hand guards and free float rail options I've seen on some of these. I may bite the bullet and get a nicer free float so I'm thinking a low profile gas block is in order.

How important is an adjustable gas block to you guys? As this is my first AR I'm not sure if I need one or not. I'm not looking to do any super long range shooting I kind of want my first AR to be more of a traditional m4 type gun but I prefer the mid-length and carbine length hand guards and rails. I know nothing about the different performance of gas systems. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

So to sum it up I'm lacking a barrel, gas block, gas tube and hand guard. What should I be looking for? Thanks TGO!

-southernasylum

Regarding the barrel, I was back and forth between several manufacturers and decided to go with a Daniel Defense.  The more I read about CHF barrels the more I wanted one.   I did decide to go with their 18" heavy profile barrel (S2W) mid length gas that is salt bath nitrided (basically Melonite) over the 16" since I've already got that length covered.  

I went Yankee Hill on my low profile gas block and their new SLR handguard FF system with the smooth profile type on three sides. It's a rifle length to fully cover the gas block.  At some point in the future I might look at a low profile adjustable gas block.  

Very pleased with the results at this point.