the tgo receiver build thread

reed1285

It's peace of mind until you shoot one loose. Then it goes on your list of must do items. 

This. I changed mine out and didnt stake. Until My stock twisted sideways anyway. Tightening a castle nut while out on amission without the wrench is not an easy task.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

This. I changed mine out and didnt stake. Until My stock twisted sideways anyway. Tightening a castle nut while out on amission without the wrench is not an easy task.

Everything with threads will shoot loose on an AR eventually. Every screw on my gun gets some kind of thread locker, except the castle nut, and the gas key screws, and barrel nut. It's just part of building the gun.

And yeah, nobody has a castle nut wrench with them when that sucker turns loose. :)

I have my lower together, as well as the dustcover on my upper. I'm waiting impatiently for my barrel, stock, handguard, and forward assist assembly. They are scheduled to be here Tuesday.

This is easier than I built it up in my mind to be. I bought too many tools. I also bought enough extra parts, just in case, that it won't take much to more to build another rifle. My oldest son is showing signs of interest in building himself one in the future.

With a little stoning on the sear surfaces, the trigger in the lower parts kit I bought here from member Byedan seems to be very good with no two stage takeup. I wonder who produced those. I was expecting a two stage trigger. I'm impressed!

I'd post a picture, but so far, it looks like everyone else's.

No M16 parts, Mikegideon! :up:

Edited by gregintenn

I have my lower together, as well as the dustcover on my upper. I'm waiting impatiently for my barrel, stock, handguard, and forward assist assembly. They are scheduled to be here Tuesday.

This is easier than I built it up in my mind to be. I bought too many tools. I also bought enough extra parts, just in case, that it won't take much to more to build another rifle. My oldest son is showing signs of interest in building himself one in the future.

With a little stoning on the sear surfaces, the trigger in the lower parts kit I bought here from member Byedan seems to be very good with no two stage takeup. I wonder who produced those. I was expecting a two stage trigger. I'm impressed!

I'd post a picture, but so far, it looks like everyone else's.

No M16 parts, Mikegideon! :up:

A milspec AR trigger is single stage.

Just got my TGO lower today. Swapped the lower parts from an Omni plastic fantastic that my pistol was using and voilà:

ARpistol2.jpg

And btw, folks, I just use a paper clip to remove pivot pin, can start a new one with just fingernail or tiny screwdriver on the detente.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

looks good OS, what length barrel is that?

10.5, carbine gas. Has run like a champ on every ammo I've tried. Ran fine with standard buffer, good ejection pattern, but I put a H2 in it just to see if made it a little less snappy, maybe it did, not sure. Same reliable function, same 4:00 or so ejection pattern.

I can get Dolomite to do a bit of trigger magic on it now, couldn't do his kit with the plastic one.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I didn't know that. My Bushmaster came with a two stage trigger. Dolomite's trigger kit is designed to improve two stage triggers. I assumed the military rifles had two stage triggers as well.

AR-15 triggers are single stage. The takeup is just slop. Dolomite's kit removes that takeup. There are several aftermarket triggers that are two stage, like the Geissele line. Bill Geissele doesn't believe you can make a great single stage trigger for the AR. Since I've never seen one, I gotta believe him. The Garand style rifles were 2 stage, including the Mini 14.

Here's a good illustration...

SSA-EProfile_zpse297fe9d.jpg

Edited by mikegideon

Thanks. I just assumed my trigger was a two stage from the feel of it. I knew my mini 14 and m1 carbines had two stage triggers. I assumed this was normal for all military and military style rifles.

It's easy to confuse a crappy single stage with a two stage. The action in an AR is too violent to make a great single stage work. The crappy one works just fine, except for the crappy part.

This is long, but worth watching...

[media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypb5HXdDJhc [/media]

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 3

It's easy to confuse a crappy single stage with a two stage. The action in an AR is too violent to make a great single stage work. The crappy one works just fine, except for the crappy part.

This is long, but worth watching...

[media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypb5HXdDJhc [/media]

Well worth the watch. Thanks.

Here's mine!

IMG_20131207_203907_924_zpse75ac830.jpg

I haven't had an AR in about 5 years, and I am SUPER excited to have one again! It's nothing awesome...just a PSA black friday upper and a crummy truglo 3 color dot. That's about all of the budget for now. As long as this red dot holds on and works, a buis set is next, and THEN a better optic.

• Like 3

:rofl:  I've never heard it put more eloquently. :rofl:

If I get one of those g-silly triggers, I'll have to learn to shoot. You just about got me on the DD rails, Mike. This stuff is gonna make the

Heinz 57 awful expensive. Ah, maybe I'll put a g-silly in the Noveske barreled toy. Still have to get another Rainier billet upper for it. I

couldn't believe how well that CMT lower fit. As it is, right now, I'm raping another upper to put the Young NM Bolt carrier and the Rainier

upper with the Noveske. Found a Rock River 2 stage trigger in the safe. Just a few more parts to get for the 57. :D