the tgo receiver build thread

reed1285

[quote name="2.ooohhh" post="1076404" timestamp="1386643128"] 11300588203_a80b03a892_z.jpg Made some more progress this evening, friend loaned me a 5.56 barrel for the first TGO upper for the time being to be able to check the "yes, it was a pistol first" checkbox. :woohoo:[/quote] I put my stippled Umbrella Corp grip on mine, just to get a feel. Man, the grip angle is so much better, especially for a pistol.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

OK. I got that T shirt. It's especially fun when the stock swivels around enough for the buffer retainer to launch itself into the receiver.

I think I'll go with lock-tite. I think blue should be enough. I'm surprised the castle nut isn't held in place with a detente. I wonder if safety wire might work, also.

Everything with threads will shoot loose on an AR eventually. Every screw on my gun gets some kind of thread locker, except the castle nut, and the gas key screws, and barrel nut. It's just part of building the gun.

And yeah, nobody has a castle nut wrench with them when that sucker turns loose. :)

Hmm. I sense an opportunity for a combination bottle opener/castle nut wrench. What could possibly go wrong?

Has anybody used the "tension screw" thing on the CMT lower?

Seems like to me if a lower and upper were so unmatched as to actually rattle or something, adjusting the screw upward to make solid would also leave a gap between them?

Anyway, my pistol upper fit uber slickly onto the lower, was just wondering.

- OS

Has anybody used the "tension screw" thing on the CMT lower?

Seems like to me if a lower and upper were so unmatched as to actually rattle or something, adjusting the screw upward to make solid would also leave a gap between them?

Anyway, my pistol upper fit uber slickly onto the lower, was just wondering.

- OS

I'm far from an expert, but I think the tension screw is just an added feature that makes their already top of the line products another cut above the rest. If needed at all, I suspect it would be with an upper other than a CMT. I don't think it's designed to be cranked down. I imagine just enough pressure to snug it up a bit is all that's needed. Either way, it can't hurt.

I think I'll go with lock-tite. I think blue should be enough. I'm surprised the castle nut isn't held in place with a detente. I wonder if safety wire might work, also.

Is there anything wrong with the way you're supposed to build AR's? You're supposed to stake the castle nut. No wonder folks can't sell their "custom" builds. 

... imagine just enough pressure to snug it up a bit is all that's needed. Either way, it can't hurt.

Well, it would "firm" it up, but since it presses against upper, would actually spread the two halves more apart rather than bring them closer together.

- OS

Well, it would "firm" it up, but since it presses against upper, would actually spread the two halves more apart rather than bring them closer together.

- OS

But, you have to think too, the only thing it can do is take out any play. Can't separate them any more than what your take down and pivot pins allow. I've got a couple billet lowers with the feature, though I've never actually used it, I think it's a good idea if nothing else

- OS

I see what your saying, but if there's enough play to separate the two halves that much, it's time to think about replacing something.

I don't think they've come up with a way bring the receivers closer together, so this is the next best option.

You're making me think too hard.

- OS

That set screw is a great feature. I wish I had it on all my lowers. I have a couple of rifles that are loose. I had to beat my rear pin in with a Delrin punch on the TGO set. But, over time, those holes can loosen up. Anyway, it's there to compensate for tolerances. Lots of billet lowers have them.

Is there anything wrong with the way you're supposed to build AR's? You're supposed to stake the castle nut. No wonder folks can't sell their "custom" builds.

Just the way my mind works. I like to avoid "permanent". Especially when I'm just feeling my way. If I were churning out a couple of hundred a day for the military, I might feel different :)

I don't handle "supposed to" well, either :D Edited by tnguy

I don't think they've come up with a way bring the receivers closer together ....

Accuwedge does some, by basically adding thickness to the lower:

%5Cfaqs%5CAR-FAQs%5Caccuwedge.jpg

But still, I guess it is a nice feature. Certainly anything that makes the upper not wobble is good.

- OS

Just the way my mind works. I like to avoid "permanent". Especially when I'm just feeling my way. If I were churning out a couple of hundred a day for the military, I might feel different :)

I don't handle "supposed to" well, either :D

Staking isn't permanent. And blue loctite isn't nearly as bad as red. There was at least one manufacturer using red out there. You had to torch the gun to remove the buffer tube. I used to be like you. I just figured out that the best way was the established way. The only reason to pull the tube is to change to a fixed stock, which removes all evidence of staking. Anyway, I finally figured that if I was gonna build AR's, I need to do it like an armorer.