Judge orders baker to serve gay couples despite his religious beliefs

I have mixed feelings about this, frankly...if one chooses to open a business and serve the public but only wants to serve specific members of the public then maybe that person needs to reconsider whether they really want to be in business or not. On the other hand, I don't like a court/the state telling a private business who that business must serve.  :shrug:

What I don't understand with this situation is how can a court order this bakery to make a wedding cake for a same sex couple when, as far as I can tell, Colorado doesn't allow or recognize same sex marriages???

Shoeless shirtless people are not a protected class.

You can refuse to serve gay shirtless and shoeless people AFAIK. At least as per federal law. In some places you have to serve nude ones as per local law!

Is this a great country, or what? ;)

- OS

I really never thought I'd be the one to be talking about how great things used to be!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

What I don't understand with this situation is how can a court order this bakery to make a wedding cake for a same sex couple when, as far as I can tell, Colorado doesn't allow or recognize same sex marriages???

Well, a wedding cake doesn't have to be purchased for an actual wedding after all, nor does a nurse uniform have to be worn by a real nurse. :dirty:

- OS

• Like 3

Well, a wedding cake doesn't have to be purchased for an actual wedding after all, nor does a nurse uniform have to be worn by a real nurse. :dirty:

- OS

True...just seems like this court is putting the cart before the horse so to speak...if same sex marriage isn't legal in Colorado then how can a bakery break the "law" by refusing to bake a wedding cake for a "wedding" that can't even happen legally???  ;)

P.S. It also seems as if this baker went out of his way to make a point...just as this so-called "couple" could have gone to another bakery, this bakery could probably have found a way to not make the wedding cake without bringing the sex of the "couple" into the equation. :whistle:

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 2

Precisely how is refusing to bake them a cake different than refusing to serve them dinner on the basis of discrimination? That I assume will be the legal issue.

The vendor's religious beliefs seem to have already failed as a justifiable reason as decided as per the ACA, for example (Catholic institutions and Hobby Lobby having to offer birth control, etc).

- OS

I am only pointing out the absurdity of this claim of discrimination and I am pointing out the absurdity of a judge actually entertaining this case with any seriousness...refusal to bake a cake does not infringe on their "natural rights" of life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness....well i take that back, cake does make me happy so i can only assume it would make others happy as well...or maybe pie...

• Like 2

P.S. It also seems as if this baker went out of his way to make a point...just as this so-called "couple" could have gone to another bakery, this bakery could probably have found a way to not make the wedding cake without bringing the sex of the "couple" into the equation. :whistle:

couldn't agree more...you shouldn't kick a hornet's nest..

• Like 1

I don't disagree with anything you've written here. I only took issue with the phrasing that was overly broad in its indictments. The only reason I chose to point that out is that all too often we paint with these broad brushes and develop preconceptions that would prevent us from finding common ground. Not all gay folks are prancing around in thongs on main street demanding that every church gives them a wedding that would be just faaaabulous! That's all I'm saying.

I get what you were saying. I wasn't disagreeing so much as I was just elaborating. I wish the live and let live crowd would speak out if they don't agree with what's going on. If I was being painted a fool because of the actions of others claiming to speak for me you can bet I'd be shouting from a hilltop.
I think a lot of it stems from the collective gay community being the democrats whore. Just like most groups that fall prey to the democrats they are in it so deep that they believe the lies and that everyone is out to stop them from being and equal human.

I wonder how things are going to pan out when the ultra gay crowd that demands tolerance meets the ultra strict Muslim crowd wanting the same?

Personally I think a business should be able to refuse to sell to anyone for any reason they choose. I do not agree that any one group should be able to force another group to do something against their will. I am handicapped and if someone refused to sell to me because I was handicapped I would be upset but I would take my business elsewhere rather than compel them to take my money. I would rather them not have my money and I spend my money where I am welcomed.

You can tell by the picture that the couple is a "look at me, I am gay, look at me!" type. Problem is these types go way out of their way to make people feel uncomfortable then cry foul when someone doesn't like it.

• Like 3

Everyone is this country, regardless of whatever issue they have (age, sex, race, religion, same sex, no sex, makes no difference), deserves to be treated as equally and as fairly as the person who walked in the store before them, and the same as the guy who comes in behind them. The good ol' USA is going to hell in a hand basket! Why should any of us care if two dudes want to get married and buy a wedding cake...sell them one for crying out loud!

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 5
It isn't an issue, to me at least, that two dudes want to get married. The issue is that they took a guy to court because he didn't want to make them a cake. That is childish and vindictive. The best way for them to get even with him would have been to take their business elsewhere and tell their friends to take theirs elsewhere as well...

• Like 2

Everyone is this country, regardless of whatever issue they have (age, sex, race, religion, same sex, no sex, makes no difference), deserves to be treated as equally and as fairly as the person who walked in the store before them, and the same as the guy who comes in behind them. The good ol' USA is going to hell in a hand basket! Why should any of us care if two dudes want to get married and buy a wedding cake...sell them one for crying out loud!

Dave

One of the advantages of owning and running one's own business has always been that they could refuse service to anyone they choose, for whatever reason they choose.

Why should someone in the private sector be forced to offer service to someone with whom they don't want to associate? The reason really doesn't matter. I couldn't care less if two people I've never met in my life want to live their lives together. But the government shouldn't be able to force me to do business with them if I don't want to. The reason doesn't matter.

The Bill of Rights works both ways.

Edited by daddyo
  • Like 4

"Judge orders Muslim Brotherhood to leave all cities in the United States". Yeh, right.

Some crappy law that protects a class doesn't really protect anything. All it does is punish those who don't wish to honor the

blasphemy of the law. Human beings protect human beings. In what way is punishing me protecting you?

Robert, if he didn't want to serve cake to someone, that's his business. I'll almost bet his business has done as well or better.

That couple should have gone to another bakery and left it alon, but no, they had to make a national issue of it. Sometimes,

in fact most of the time, it's better to show yourself in a good light to a community and then these things can work their way out.

It beats the heck out of using the court system to force behavior on someone who will probably make feelings worse in other ways.

Is the court system, or some feel good law, the way to fix society? I don't think so.

The gay lobby has a real PR problem. They haven't been able to persuade the majority that there is nothing wrong with their sexual preference, so they've decided to abuse the legal system to make their point. This scenario is a great example of that.

• Like 1

One of the advantages of owning and running one's own business has always been that they could refuse service to anyone they choose, for whatever reason they choose.

Why should someone in the private sector be forced to offer service to someone with whom they don't want to associate? The reason really doesn't matter. I couldn't care less if two people I've never met in my life want to live their lives together. But the government shouldn't be able to force me to do business with them if I don't want to. The reason doesn't matter.

The Bill of Rights works both ways.

Not completely equating the two situations here but wasn't that exact same excuse used to not serve "colored folks" and why the south had "colored drinking fountains"?  Just how far should this ability to "refuse service" go? I'm not saying that a business should be forced to serve or not serve anyone but I do see some pretty obvious parallels here.

When you hold yourself out to the public as a business who serves "the public" I think you take on some responsibilities that might have to go beyond your personal, privately held, beliefs.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 2

The baker should be able to refuse service to anyone. It's his business to run as he sees fit.

Why would they want one of his hate filled cakes anyway?

While that's a funny statement, accusing someone of hating just because they won't compromise their standards, nor bend to the will of someone else really does nothing to help the argument.

• Like 2

Not completely equating the two situations here but wasn't that exact same excuse used to not serve "colored folks" and why the south had "colored drinking fountains"?  Just how far should this ability to "refuse service" go? I'm not saying that a business should be forced to serve or not serve anyone but I do see some pretty obvious parallels here.

When you hold yourself out to the public as a business who serves "the public" I think you take on some responsibilities that might have to go beyond your personal, privately held, beliefs.

I guess it depends on whether or not you equate the civil rights movement to gay rights. I don't and neither do many blacks.

most people don't relate to causes that aren't near and dear to them....

That's true. I don't relate to someone wanting to marry someone of the same sex. Does that make me a "hater" just because I don't?

Edited by daddyo