Judge orders baker to serve gay couples despite his religious beliefs

Those were the three. I would have responded earlier but i was working.

I know people who are gay and they are more classy, respectful, and overall better people than some of the members who posted in this thread.

I'm calling BS on that one.  Your original post was #107.  How could #138 be included in the three since it wasn't even written? 

Edited by mav
  • Like 1

Those were the three. I would have responded earlier but i was working.

I know people who are gay and they are more classy, respectful, and overall better people than some of the members who posted in this thread.

And I know some who aren't and I know people who are not gay who are very "tolerant". Not sure what any of that has to do with the discussion.

My point on this subject lies in the fact that some of y'all on here whine every time a cop asks someone open carrying for an ID, because it violates their  rights! How a gun buster violates your rights, how a Terry Stop violates your rights ect ect ect.... the list just goes on and on as long as it fits some of y'alls agendas of rights, it's a ok. Let some Baker violate the rights

of a gay couple, and some of y'all act like cheer leaders jumping up and down in favor of discrimination. No I'm not gay by no means, but I had the most pleasurable opportunity to work in EEO and as a Union Steward at the Fire dept. for about 10 years and I've never in my life seen the hypocrites as I see here. I've thought it over and I'm glad they went to the courts over it. You know what? I would too as I would not allow you to treat me any different than anyone else! Religion or otherwise! I guess rights were written for a few select groups and allows us to pick and choose what we want to do when it comes to the rights of others. In my opinion that couple should have been able to buy a cake as easy as the rest of us. I hope his bakery gets boycotted big time!!

Rant off....smiley switched back on.

Dave

How were the rights of the gay couple violated? Did they have a constitutional right to buy a wedding cake from that particular baker?

• Like 1
Guest RebelCowboySnB

So you do care?

About what? I dont care what people think of my religious opinions. I don't care what people think about his. I dont care what people think of gays.

All that matters is does he have a right to his opinion? I say yes. Do they have the right to be gay? Again I say yes. Do they have the right to force him to make a gay wedding cake? I say no.

This is the problem with setting up protected classes of people. Their special rights always seem to trample on the mundane rights of others.

Can anyone tell me that this was the intent of the founders?

Edited by daddyo

No point in debating religion here. The man has a religious opinion an he has a right to it. What we think one way or the other about his opinion does not matter.

All that matters is whose rights are being violated.

How far do you want to take that POV of the "rights" of one's religious convictions?  Meaning, for example, public praying and reciting the Lord's Prayer in schools as a low level example, or parents not allowing medical treatment for their kids and fathers maiming or killing their "infidel" daughters as extreme ones.

Is it only a matter of degree, or only pertinent to a particular religion, or just what?

Therein lies the struggle within the judiciary, trying to apply consistent logic to same tendencies, regardless of degree of the issue.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
Guest RebelCowboySnB

How were the rights of the gay couple violated? Did they have a constitutional right to buy a wedding cake from that particular baker?

This. In my opinion you can not infringe on someone rights by refusing service. For the most part it takes an action to infringe on a right not a lack of action.

I have a right to not be shot an killed. I dont have a right to have my life saved by a doctor. That is a privilege granted by the doctors willingness to help. If I was sot an not saved then my rights were violated by the shooter but not by the doctor.

About what? I dont care what people think of my religious opinions. I don't care what people think about his. I dont care what people think of gays.

All that matters is does he have a right to his opinion? I say yes. Do they have the right to be gay? Again I say yes. Do they have the right to force him to make a gay wedding cake? I say no.

You said You could care less therefore you do care
Guest RebelCowboySnB

How far do you want to take that POV of the "rights" of one's religious convictions?  Meaning, for example, public praying and reciting the Lord's Prayer in schools as a low level example, or parents not allowing medical treatment for their kids and fathers maiming or killing their "infidel" daughters as extreme ones.

Is it only a matter of degree, or only pertinent to a particular religion, or just what?

- OS

I think I was clear that I dont care what religion. Your examples are so far off the issue at hand I donnt see the point.

Public/school prayer is a settled subject in the law. You can do it but you cant make others.

Kids? I think you have a right to refuse treatment on religious grounds but I don't think you have a right to kill. That is just my opinion though.

The Baker discriminated against the couple based on his religion. My religion teaches me to treat all people as equals. Therefore, he violated the rights of the couple in refusing to sell them a cake. They didn't ask him for "fringe benefits" or a "happy ending"...all they wanted was to buy a darn cake! There's no written law against what he done...just God's.

Dave

• Like 1
Guest RebelCowboySnB

You said You could care less therefore you do care

Really? We all know what the saying actually means an we all know it is a saying that's words an meaning don't actually agree.

Guest Bonedaddy

I'm more concerned that the discussion about gay rights gets more more people worked up here than our right to keep and bear arms. Why ?

Remember when I told ya that people are far more liberal than they think or like to admit? It's only natural but it's up to the person to reign it in for the sake of others "and" their selves.

Ha! I can tell you are still kinda new around here. At least every couple of months we have a thread about the gays that goes long and strong and just when you think it has petered out it rises again for another round of flogging.

Well said chuck, may I add:

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

i need a tylenol...

The Baker discriminated against the couple based on his religion. My religion teaches me to treat all people as equals. Therefore, he violated the rights of the couple in refusing to sell them a cake. They didn't ask him for "fringe benefits" or a "happy ending"...all they wanted was to buy a darn cake! There's no written law against what he done...just God's.

Dave

What if, for the sake of argument, the baker based his discrimination against the couple on a secular viewpoint?  There are plenty of people out there who don't care for the gay lifestyle who have never set foot in a church...There again, religion doesn't really play into the bigger scheme of this "argument".  What does is the govt sticking it's nose into PRIVATE matters...the baker doesn't work for the govt so he has no obligation to treat everyone equally if he doesn't choose to do so...

Dave

No, he didn't. He refused to sell them one because it was against his principles. Why do the gays have rights and he doesn't?

Let's say that I have a house for sale. It was my parents' house and the one I grew up in. A gay couple comes along and wants to buy it. I decide I don't want to sell my childhood home to them, because I don't think my Mom and Dad would approve of it.

Would I be violating the gay couple's constitutionally protected rights because I refused to sell it to them? Or do I have the right to decide who I want to sell it to, regardless of the reason? Would they have the right to FORCE me to sell it to them?

Edited by daddyo

Really? We all know what the saying actually means an we all know it is a saying that's words an meaning don't actually agree.

I think his point is that the proper saying is "I could not care less" to signify that you don't care at all about something.

- OS

Guest RebelCowboySnB

I think his point is that the proper saying is "I could not care less" to signify that you don't care at all about something.

- OS

That may be proper but that is not how the saying is actually said. I at least have never in my life heard anyone actually say "I could not care less."

I never claim to be proper anyway.

That may be proper but that is not how the saying is actually said. I at least have never in my life heard anyone actually say "I could not care less."

I never claim to be proper anyway.

I say it almost that way.  I always say, "I couldn't care less."  :)

• Like 3

And exactly where in the Bill of Rights does it say that they have the right force the baker to sell them one?

The question is whether the gay folks were the subject of unlawful discrimination.

As far as this case is concerned, by the way, I can't find that anywhere but as employees that gay folks have any particular basis to claim discrimination under federal law. However, states vary widely .. I think y'all might want to keep in mind this seems to have been a Colorado state judge's ruling, not a federal one.

- OS

The question is whether the gay folks were the subject of unlawful discrimination.

As far as this case is concerned, by the way, I can't find that anywhere but as employees that gay folks have any particular basis to claim discrimination under federal law. However, states vary widely .. I think y'all might want to keep in mind this seems to have been a Colorado state judge's ruling, not a federal one.

- OS

That's my understanding of the application of the law, but is it unlawful between two private parties at the state level?

I say it almost that way.  I always say, "I couldn't care less."  :)

Me too, since it's the logical statement  --  and that's the way you'll always see it in print, from educated sources, anyway.

"I could care less", means you actually do care at least somewhat.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1