Judge orders baker to serve gay couples despite his religious beliefs

Really? We all know what the saying actually means an we all know it is a saying that's words an meaning don't actually agree.

actually the saying is that "I couldn't care less"      :shrug:

sorry, this was already flogged

Edited by Mike.357
Guest RebelCowboySnB

The question is whether the gay folks were the subject of unlawful discrimination.

As far as this case is concerned, by the way, I can't find that anywhere but as employees that gay folks have any particular basis to claim discrimination under federal law. However, states vary widely .. I think y'all might want to keep in mind this seems to have been a Colorado state judge's ruling, not a federal one.

- OS

I think Colorado does have some laws at the state level about the subject.

Guest RebelCowboySnB

Me too, since it's the logical statement  --  and that's the way you'll always see it in print, from educated sources, anyway.

"I could care less", means you actually do care at least somewhat.

- OS

Again, I have never once heard it said that way.  Here it is always "could" or "could really" an its always in a sarcastic tone.

Maybe the blacks should have just left the diners when they were refused service, stayed in the back of the bus because that's where they were supposed to ride. I mean it is the business owners right to refuse service after all. Let's go backwards some more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Me too, since it's the logical statement  --  and that's the way you'll always see it in print, from educated sources, anyway.

"I could care less", means you actually do care at least somewhat.

- OS

Well, you can add this one to your marshal/martial peeves.  :)

:rofl: We posted at the same time. At least we were thinking the same.

Edited by mav
Guest RebelCowboySnB

Maybe the blacks should have just left the diners when they were refused service, stayed in the back of the bus because that's where they were supposed to ride. I mean it is the business owners right to refuse service after all. Let's go backwards some more.

Those were laws not business owners expressing opinions were they not?

Racial discrimination.... lifestyle discrimination.

Not the same thing.

Frankly, I'm so damned tired of everyone screaming "DISCRIMINATION!!!!", I think I'll go watch a John Wayne movie.

Edited by daddyo

Even so, I only have to obey the law; I don't have to agree with it. Behavior modification is not the role of government.

Exactly. And the baker may have been breaking it. Obviously, the judge thinks so.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Bonedaddy

Restaurant...they have a right to refuse but the bus....no. Most likely it was a government contracted, public service through appropriated Federal or state tax dollars and would be discrimination then, if not treated equally.

Edited by Bonedaddy
Guest RebelCowboySnB

Exactly. And the baker may have been breaking it. Obviously, the judge thinks so.

- OS

He may have an chose to not sit in the back of the bus ether.

Edited by RebelCowboySnB

Restaurant...they have a right to refuse but the bus....no. Most likely it was a government contracted, public service through appropriated Federal tax dollars and would be discrimination then, if not treated equally.

I can't find anything that says discrimination due to sexual orientation is illegal on federal level under any circumstances except in workplace. Sex and sexual orientation are not the same thing.

- OS

Guest Bonedaddy

I can't find anything that says discrimination due to sexual orientation is illegal on federal level under any circumstances except in workplace. Sex and sexual orientation are not the same thing.

- OS

He said "blacks" not sexual. Post #179

Edited by Bonedaddy

I found this quote from the Judge's written order online: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/article/Judge-orders-Colo-cake-maker-to-serve-gay-couples-5042240.php

"At first blush, it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses," Judge Spencer said in his written order. "This view, however, fails to take into

account the cost to society and the hurt caused to persons who are denied service simply because of who they are."

Now, outside of knowing what actual statute was cited as a support to the ruling, this is a ruling based on emotion.  While I agree that all people should be treated with respect, that is not how human kind operates.  Some people really should learn to move on with life and quit trying to get even over something as trivial as a cake...

- OS

Per the ACLU website CO laws prohibit discrimination in employment, housing, and public accomodations...would have to dig deeper, but on the surface don't see how a private business broke the law in this instance since the bakery doesn't fall into any of the above categories...

Per the ACLU website CO laws prohibit discrimination in employment, housing, and public accomodations...would have to dig deeper, but on the surface don't see how a private business broke the law in this instance since the bakery doesn't fall into any of the above categories...

Certainly, the judge may not have a statute on which to base his opinion at all -- would be far from a unique instance.

- OS

Certainly, the judge may not have a statute on which to base his opinion at all -- would be far from a unique instance.

- OS

seems that would be a "slippery slope"...but i am sure the slope has existed since well before my time...

......Some people really should learn to move on with life and quit trying to get even over something as trivial as a cake...

Dude! What are you talking about? Cake is awesome. I love cake. :)

All joking aside, I think this whole thing is a sad statement on where we are as a society. I feel the business owner should be able to compassionately tell the couple he is uncomfortable to make them a cake based on his religious beliefs and that those same customers, while disappointed, should be willing to respect his views and select a different baker. Now, if the guy was a jerk to them, then he brought the whole thing on himself. But I don't know, I wasn't there.
  • Like 1