You know you're old when....

Raoul

Paregoric - I think my mother must've had a 50 gal drum of that stuff

There was always a bottle at the house.

It had it's own particular smell that if you've ever had to take it, you would recognize immediately.

Seeing the cars that were new when we were teenagers, and wished we could afford, now have antique tags on them.

Yea, I remember Church keys, just don't remember drinkin' any brews with'm. I hated them damn thangs. Made it hard to get to my sardines and mustard.

Church keys were can and bottle openers, not the key used to open cans of sardines, coffee, spam etc. The key you're thinking of turned an ordinary can into a weapon, those boogers were sharp. Remembering those keys makes you old too.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Church+key

church key

noun Slang.
a small metal can opener having a sharp triangular pointed end for punching holes in the top of a beverage can, as of beer.
Edited by PapaB
Guest Bonedaddy

Church keys were can and bottle openers, not the key used to open cans of sardines, coffee, spam etc. The key you're thinking of turned an ordinary can into a weapon, those boogers were sharp. Remembering those keys makes you old too.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Church+key

church key

noun Slang.
a small metal can opener having a sharp triangular pointed end for punching holes in the top of a beverage can, as of beer.

Oh...ok. Hell, I just called them can openers. I always heard church keys but thought they were the roll up things. Guess no one ever actually showed me. There were always a few of'm 'round the house. And yea, a sardine can top could be used to skin a man. Ya know, beer was a lot easier to drink when you used one of them keys on it. You could put  a big ol' air vent for lettin' it drain like a pipe.

Edited by Bonedaddy

I have to add this one in. I've been a Civil War reenactor for many years, and my Grandkids volunteer me to come to school and talk to their classes about "the war", and how "their pawpaw fought Yankees"! Talk about feeling old now? lol

Dave

Edited by DaveS