Just saw this on Bladeforums.

Guest ASmartOne

Guest ASmartOne

Kniferights is going to try again.  http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/SB1438.pdf

Tennessee Bill to Repeal Knife Restrictions Filed

Tennessee State Senator Mike Bell has introduced a bill to finish the job of updating the state's knife laws. Last year Knife Rights and Senator Bell passed knife law preemption, but the effort to repeal the antiquated ban on switchblade knives and possession of knives over four inches in length failed in the House due to opposition from the Tennessee Sheriff's Association (TSA)

Knife Rights has worked very closely with the TSA Executive Director Terry Ashe to address their concerns and SB1438 is the result. We sincerely appreciate Sheriff Ashe's cooperation in coming up with a solution for the TSA's concerns while removing restrictions on law-abiding citizens.

If you live, work or travel in Tennessee, please contact your state Senator and ask them to please support SB1438. You can find your Tennessee state Senator here: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators/

I hope it goes through in its current state because I am tired of worring about whether a knife is 0.125" longer than 4".  Switchblade repeal is nice but I am happy with my assited openers.

Edited by ASmartOne

Mike Bell seems like a pretty darn good guy. I contacted him recently asking his opinion on gun rights and such, and I got a more than satisfactory answer... we need more fellows like him, methinks.

Great to see this. Get the word out, guys.

• Like 1

I googled TN 2014 SB1438 and found this:

http://openstates.org/tn/bills/108/SB1438/documents/TND00030600/

I couldn't quickly find the text of the previous attempt at this - anyone got it that could compare to see what changes were made?

Main thing I see is that definition of "knife" and "common knife"  was modified to include 'bout anything maybe short of a sword, and that no laws can be enacted regarding them, even including knives used as "weapons".

As I see it, pretty much a sweeping bill that says "all knives are legal for ownership and carry".

Might actually be too rad to pass, dunno. Maybe it's that rad so that can be amended down to allowing switchblades and > 4" blades, which was actual aim of previous bill, dunno.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest tangojuliet

I think this thread was started first but the more attention to the topic the better.

sorry  bad trollin :( but like it said THE SECOND CAMPAIGN  BEGINS !!!!!!!! cause i would like to carry a switch blade :)

Don't see why at the very least, TN HCP holders could carry whatever knife they want since we are already carrying much more effective weapons.

Besides that, I never think of a knife as a weapon. To me it is a tool.

My gun is a tool.  

Weapon is defined as "a tool used with malicious intent."  If the intent isn't malicious, its just a tool. 

• Like 2

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1132909-Knife-Rights-Gets-Jump-on-2014-FL-amp-TN-Knife-Rights-Bills-Filed

Here is the thread.  Have a look at Mr Critter's reply to a question.  Have a feeling that this bill will go through thanks to Knife Rights. 

I hope you're right.  It certainly seems like Ashe and his bunch were the only real opposition.

That "answer" from Critter is kinda cryptic though, it makes it seem like something underhanded took place, which I seriously doubt is the truth. 

I have seen where a few states have repealed bans on automatic knives in the past few years, so maybe TN will get on board. It's so ridiculous that I can deploy my assisted openers way faster than my auto I carry at work...yet autos are banned. Hope this one does some good!

I have seen where a few states have repealed bans on automatic knives in the past few years, so maybe TN will get on board. It's so ridiculous that I can deploy my assisted openers way faster than my auto I carry at work...yet autos are banned. Hope this one does some good!

I just want to be able to carry my 5.5" Voyager.

- OS

I don't know if this is going to work but I'm gonna try.  

http://www.instagram.com/p/hPgNThQSZj

Edited by Capbyrd
Guest ASmartOne

Nice job with the flipper one, Capbyrd.  I thought for sure it was assisted.

I am with Oh Shoot, I want to carry a big knife.  Maybe a Spyderco Police 3.

The one on the left is an auto.  The one on the right is not assisted in any way.

That Lanconico is very fast, like my Q36, Pro Tech knifes have the fastest spring action in any auto that I have owned, my Q36 deploys just as quick as they do it makes absolutely no sense while autos are banned