ground blind advice

Guest jrbaker90

Guest jrbaker90
I talk myself into a ground blind and i don't know with one I've look at a ameristep outhouse and rockbridge outpost pop up i like one for two people also is there any thing better with the box type like the aneristep bone collector thanks

I use a Primos Blind Luck ground blind.  It is plenty large enough for 2 people and gear.  Keeps the rain off of you, conceals you well and it is easy to set up!  Make sure you have set one up before you plan on using it.  The first time I tried to set one up in my living room (not a primos) my dog left the room because of the things she heard me say!  

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos-Blind-Luck-Hub-Blind/1370491.uts

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 3
Guest jrbaker90
I've look at the brickhouse myself how hard are they to put up. I try to take as few items as i can so i hope i won't have much other then a chair and my waist pack and if it as cold as the last couple of day ill will have my heater in my backpack. how is the ameristep dofhouse thanks
Guest Bonedaddy

I've got one of the Bone Collector ones. A dome shape with 'nuff room for two but mostly so I can stretch my legs and ease my bad knees. Yea, set it up well in advance so any animals usin' the area will become accustomed to it being there. Even when you camo them, they know there's somethin' different over there, so I let'm get used to it as being safe first. I wouldn't spend a crap load on one 'cause if you leave it in the woods, you'll come back to find that the mice, squirrels and chipmonks like to chew holes in'm to hide their nuts in. I always cleared the floor area real good and lay an old clean blanket or old drop cloth or somethin' on the floor, when I set it up, to keep my movements quiet in there, too. Mine has the velcro camo screens behind the zip windows and I'll put deer urine or other scent on the velcro to help cover any scent from me. Don't know 'bout the square ones but the dome one I got pops up real easy but has 4 big circle springs that hold up the walls and can be a real trick to fold back up till you've done it a few times, so you can get it back in the pack. Another reason I set up well in advance is because most places I've used it the shot was gonna be well under a 100 yds. If you'll likely be shootin' that far or farther then it may be alright to set it up that mornin', as long as you play the wind right and camo it well.

Edited by Bonedaddy

If I buy one again, it will have a Pop up ROOF too and not have those jointed Tent supports.

Sitting low with a Rifle/Shotgun, I didn't HAVE to use the roof supports as long as it wasn't wet out.

I actually just cut the roof out of an old Bone Collector Doghouse blind so I could shoot my Recurve out of it.

Going to try just setting it up under overhanging branches.

I really don't like going out into the woods and then spending the whole day sitting in a dark tent.

Guest jrbaker90
I like the ameristep brickhouse i look at a couple myself i looked at a couple at dicks sporting goods tonight I'm not real sure. I'm hunting hunting on public land and i can't leave anybody over night so i can't set one up over night thanks
Guest TNSovereignty

I wear camo, tuck up in a depression alongside a tree stump, & if I feel it necessary will pull a branch or two around me.  Cheap & effective.  I guess a factory blind is helpful if you want to drink coffee & move around w/ reckless abandon?

[quote name="TNSovereignty" post="1077763" timestamp="1386865080"]I wear camo, tuck up in a depression alongside a tree stump, & if I feel it necessary will pull a branch or two around me. Cheap & effective. I guess a factory blind is helpful if you want to drink coffee & move around w/ reckless abandon?[/quote] Don't be silly! That will never work! :) just kidding of course. One nice advantage of a blind is swiveling around in all directions for a shot. Rain is the main reason I like a blind. Cold is the other. I put a heater in mine. The turkey hunting approach is fine for gun hunting, but difficult with a bow. Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]
Guest TNSovereignty

One nice advantage of a blind is swiveling around in all directions for a shot. Rain is the main reason I like a blind. Cold is the other. I put a heater in mine. The turkey hunting approach is fine for gun hunting, but difficult with a bow.

Ah - I see.  Well, the older I get the more miserable I get in the cold & rain, that's for sure.  Now a heater in the blind, that's a real civilized approach to hunting!  

I'm reminded of some buddies I used to hunt with ... they'd go into blinds, drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, piss outside the blind, rip horrendous hangover farts, then wonder why they didn't see any deer.  I'd go the opposite direction by myself, tuck into a holler & drag a deer back ... to their utter amazement.