I need a new knife.

Like I said, pm your address and I'll get one made up and on its way. You prefer wood handles or paracord wrapped?

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

If you go with Spot's knife I'll toss in a sheath.

While ZT knives are cool, me thinks some of you guys are missing something....

• Like 1

Just a good chance to talk about folders that can't be killed by ole Tender Knuckles :)

Just when I reckon you're one of the smartest guys here, you go say some dumb ćrap like that.
When I was four they gave me some 2 inch ball bearings to play with. I broke them.

I got lots of knives. None I can really carry daily. A couple case XX's that are gifts from older gentlemen I'm friends with. Don't wanna put wear on those. The rest, well....lets see you carry a Gerber LMF around. Lol.

It's hard for a lot of folks to get away with carrying a fixed blade, even a short one. If we go back to your original post, Kong and Willis told you right. My 350 has a coated blade. If I was gonna pop for a blem user, I would get the stonewashed. That's a helluva knife, and it disappears in your pocket real well for something that stout.

[quote name="I_Like_Pie" post="1077160" timestamp="1386780332"]Anything wrong with a used ebay US made 440HC Buck prince for $30 or a good 3" fixed blade? Or - gasp - a Leatherman tool. I don't understand these $100 pocked knives...then again a fool and his money are soon parted.[/quote] My leather man was $111 lol. And my fixed blades arent cheap. But you get what you pay for Tapatalk ate my spelling.

My leather man was $111 lol. And my fixed blades arent cheap. But you get what you pay for Tapatalk ate my spelling.

None of it is cheap when you get into quality. In your case, I'm sure a LOT of time goes into them. It doesn't get any more expensive than hand crafted labor. Good steel costs money. In the case of the higher end folders, you have expensive blade steel and handle materials. My personal favorite... titanium. 

I have a Sebenza 25 that was over 400 bucks new. Not only am I an idiot, but I got it from Willis, who got it from Kong :)

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 3
[quote name="mikegideon" post="1077176" timestamp="1386782592"]None of it is cheap when you get into quality. In your case, I'm sure a LOT of time goes into them. It doesn't get any more expensive than hand crafted labor. Good steel costs money. In the case of the higher end folders, you have expensive blade steel and handle materials. My personal favorite... titanium. I have a Sebenza 25 that was over 400 bucks new. Not only am I an idiot, but I got it from Willis, who got it from Kong :)[/quote] And that is the cost of quality. I can by a $10 gas station knife, or I can make a 8" fixed blade that sells for about $150. That fixed blade can be sledge hammered through a locust post though, and keep on chugging. Labor will always be more than material, but it takes high qualitys of both to get a good product. Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Anything wrong with a used ebay US made 440HC Buck prince for $30 or a good 3" fixed blade?

Or - gasp - a Leatherman tool.

I don't understand these $100 pocked knives...then again a fool and his money are soon parted.

Anything wrong with a used HiPoint for around $100?  

I don't understand these $500 glocks....then again, we are just being absurd here about someone else's money.

Edited by Capbyrd
  • Like 4

I didn't intend to throw barbs, just wasn't sure the gravity of the offer on the table was being grasped.   I've carried the same leatherman for at least 7-8 years and have gone through a few cheap folders.  Honestly, I'd like to play with a few of these $100+ pocket knives just to decide for myself if they're worth it. 

LOL - A nerve.  I think I touched one.

My point is that there is a certain point of diminishing returns with actual blade performance vs price.

around $100 is about that sweet spot.  $40 -$50 will get you a good steel with no frills.

In the above counterpoints with guns about $500 is the equivalent sweet spot

...With cars you could argue that is $30,000

...With houses it is around $200,000

much more than that you aren't getting more performance - but lots more lipstick.

In saying quality costs money....yes, but quality and cost are NOT always proportinate to performance.

...a carbon mora costs $7 for example.

I didn't intend to throw barbs, just wasn't sure the gravity of the offer on the table was being grasped.   I've carried the same leatherman for at least 7-8 years and have gone through a few cheap folders.  Honestly, I'd like to play with a few of these $100+ pocket knives just to decide for myself if they're worth it. 

Given your background, you almost shouldn't even have to touch them. Some knives have added cost because of their names. ZT knives are more about material and machining costs. I'm most familiar with ZT's because I have a bunch. I have some good ole cheap Kershaws too. I don't feel ripped off for the cost of my ZT's.

LOL - A nerve.  I think I touched one.

My point is that there is a certain point of diminishing returns with actual blade performance vs price.

around $100 is about that sweet spot.  $40 -$50 will get you a good steel with no frills.

In the above counterpoints with guns about $500 is the equivalent sweet spot

...With cars you could argue that is $30,000

...With houses it is around $200,000

much more than that you aren't getting more performance - but lots more lipstick.

In saying quality costs money....yes, but quality and cost are NOT always proportinate to performance.

...a carbon mora costs $7 for example.

Kinda. I have some overbuilt knives that would absolutely suck if you replaced the titanium with stainless steel. You can get a good knife for 100 bucks. You just can't get a great one.