I need a new knife.

LOL - A nerve.  I think I touched one.

My point is that there is a certain point of diminishing returns with actual blade performance vs price.

around $100 is about that sweet spot.  $40 -$50 will get you a good steel with no frills.

In the above counterpoints with guns about $500 is the equivalent sweet spot

...With cars you could argue that is $30,000

...With houses it is around $200,000

much more than that you aren't getting more performance - but lots more lipstick.

In saying quality costs money....yes, but quality and cost are NOT always proportinate to performance.

...a carbon mora costs $7 for example.

Nah.  No nerve struck.  Was just trying to point out the absurdity of your statement.  Spots offered to give the man a knife but even that is valued at well over 100 dollars.  The thing is, craftsman charge for the time they put into something.  And they should be compensated.  In the case of these folders, around that 100 dollar price point is where things tend to jump in not just quality but materials as well.  You move from steel handled knives to exotic composites and titanium.  Blade steels improve.  Quality control improves.  Manufacture moves from China back to the USA.  And collectibility becomes a factor.  You can buy the knife, use it for a while, decide to upgrade and get most of your back if not all.  I have two knives on me right now that are worth more than MSRP and they are used.  

Anything wrong with a used ebay US made 440HC Buck prince for $30 or a good 3" fixed blade?
Or - gasp - a Leatherman tool.

I don't understand these $100 pocked knives...then again a fool and his money are soon parted.

Nothing at all wrong with YOU carrying that if that's what YOU want to carry. I'll foolishly carry what I want to carry.
  • Like 2

Or the RJ Martin in my pocket that I could sell right now for 3 times what I paid for it, I guess there are more of us out here that understand what quality knives are than ignorant people whom have no idea what they are talking about

I wish you would quit bringing up that Q36 :). I'm trying to forget :)

• Like 1

Given your background, you almost shouldn't even have to touch them. Some knives have added cost because of their names. ZT knives are more about material and machining costs. I'm most familiar with ZT's because I have a bunch. I have some good ole cheap Kershaws too. I don't feel ripped off for the cost of my ZT's.

Right, but being the cheap bastard that I am, I wonder whether all that snooty lipstick has any real value.  :) 

It'd be interesting to take a fancy shmacy knife and a gas station knife and cut them up and do metallurgical analysis of the steel. 

Or the RJ Martin in my pocket that I could sell right now for 3 times what I paid for it, I guess there are more of us out here that understand what quality knives are than ignorant people whom have no idea what they are talking about

Quite true....I believe I paid $50 apiece for a box full of German Puma Hunter's pals in the late 80's when they were TKW was moving from the little cabin to the bigger store down the street. 

I think even the one I got out and have been using for the past 25 years is going for 3x that amount

Right, but being the cheap bastard that I am, I wonder whether all that snooty lipstick has any real value.  :)

It'd be interesting to take a fancy shmacy knife and a gas station knife and cut them up and do metallurgical analysis of the steel. 

You may need to do if the knife is real cheesy. Even my cheap Kershaw Cryos have the steel type stamped on the blade. The good knives usually have the steel type stamped on the blade as well, so you can just google it.

[quote name="BJB" post="1077428" timestamp="1386805510"]All this fussing and bickering.......I think we need to go to Norris Sat. and sling some lead[/quote] I really need to go shooting. But Sat. I have the gunshop open hiuse and sunday I'm working on your new knife. Tapatalk ate my spelling.