My computer

bersaguy

I used to manage a small computer repair shop, customers always wanted faster.

I would ask them "If you never saw lighting, would you know how fast it is".

The answer was always no. So the next question I would ask "How much do you have to spend?"

That got most back to the ground.

Yea I know how folks are always wanting more speed. I figure most new machines will be much faster then this 10 year old box but my issues are not speed as much as just not getting booted off lone so often and downloading things and being told my computer that I cannot down load something because my computer speed is to slow or I get booted off in the middle of a download and have to start all over a couple times before I get the download complete. I figure there should be some sales on new puters with Christmas Sales going on. Anyone got any ideas what stores I may want to check with?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bersaguy

Three simple letters you need to know. MAC

I've had the same iMac for the last 8 or 10 years. Every twoor three I contact a member here who is the Yoda of Macintosh computers. Spend a few bucks on it and ready for another. It handles everything I throw at it and half the time I neglect the upgrades I'm supposed to be downloading.

Yes it was expensive when I bought it, but before I was buying a PC every year and I never could figure out ow to use the turds. Mac is so simple.

.....alright Mac haters. Flame on and come get some!!
  • Like 1

I've had the same iMac for the last 8 or 10 years. Every twoor three I contact a member here who is the Yoda of Macintosh computers. Spend a few bucks on it and ready for another. It handles everything I throw at it and half the time I neglect the upgrades I'm supposed to be downloading.
Yes it was expensive when I bought it, but before I was buying a PC every year and I never could figure out ow to use the turds. Mac is so simple.

I couldn't agree more. I was a Mac hater until I actually had to use one at work a few years back. I cussed and moaned at first but now that Im back on a PC for work I miss the reliability and carefree days of the Mac.

I still use my iPhone exclusively for all off the clock browsing as I never have to worry about a corrupt site or anything.

Spend the money and get a nice MacBook or desktop. You'll be glad when you realize it's been a year since your last computer trouble. ;)

I have no issue with a MAC but I'll never buy one due to the price tag. For half the cost I can build my own PC and it'll run circles around that MAC.

I'll give it to MAC that their machines tend to last awhile, but I'm a technophile. I would rather drop $1,200 every 3-5 years to stick with the current hardware curve.

This of course bearing in mind that I'm not the average email/facebook/photo sharing user.

You may be able to build one faster for less, but that mac will actually be worth something if you decide to sell it later.  Our iMac was $1100 in 2009; going on 5 years later they are still selling for ~$500 on eBay. A windows based pc would drop 50% of the value in less than a year... easily.

Personally I just like knowing that every time I get on the computer it's going to work and there's no worry about it locking up.

imo it would be cheaper to upgrade your old pc than it would be to get a new one, i do it all the time for people and i install windows 7 and they are happy

Although I don't personally care for the interface on Windows 8, it does run a lot faster on older hardware than windows 7 does.  I would say to put 8 on over 7 any day of the week.

Edited by Sam1

Always comes down to personal preference unless you really need a full featured MS Office install then you need windows in some flavor.  Personally I would rather have a single, very nice, custom Windows box at home with Ipads, and Android devices filling in the mobility needs.  At work I would rather have an iMac or Macbook pro w/ 16gb of ram and Vmware fusion to run windows boxes or whatever I need beyond OSx.

Well, I guess this is good news for me. A buddy stopped by here for coffee and I told him I was going to go computer shopping and he said why and I told him to go turn on my computer and try going someplace and he would see. He did and spent about 10 minutes typing and mousing and then told me to come and try it out. "Whallllla"!!!! and everything is working as good as new. He is a kinda geek type guy and messes with computers all the time. He listed a bunch of stuff that was wrong with my computer which most was like Greek to me but looks like I may not be going shopping now any time soon. He told me if I had any more issues call him. Sometimes it helps to have friends that are smarter than you are which in my case is most friends.............. :rofl: :rock: :rock:

• Like 2
Guest Lester Weevils

Lessee on my spensive 8 core xeon mac pro, its only got two front USB plugs, and one is dedicated to wireless mouse/keybd, so if I want to plug in more than one usb gotta start digging around on the back of the puter. My cheap HP i7 4 core scores faster than the Mac pro (per core), and has several front usb plugs.

If I take the memory card out of my camera, video cam, or phone, ain't got no place to plug em in on the spensive Mac Pro. The cheap HP has got built-in plugins for every card format I use.

Now my Mac pro is still old enough to have come with plenty of VGA and DVI-D connectors to share monitors with the HP. The new Mac Pro's are nice machines, but nowadays they come with ThunderBirdNukeWire or some such nonsense, so I'd have to either buy new apple monitors or buy a replacement video card for a brand-new machine or buy video adapters to use my current monitors, and I'm perfectly happy with my current monitors.

Its the reason I can't buy mac monitors for my use-- They now have the ThunderBirdNukeWire inputs and won't work with my PC's, and not only that, the apple monitors only have a SINGLE ThunderBirdNukeWire input, so I'd have to dump hundreds of dollars on some kind of fancy digital video switcher to share it between more than one computer.

Yep, Mac REALLY AM ALL THAT. :)

They all still use the mini display port for video out; they do this for "future-proofing".  One standard connection can convert to vga, dvi or hdmi instead of having one technology that is replaced just a few years down the road.