223/556for hunting

Is it legal to hunt deer with the 556/223 round in Tennessee?

R_Bert told you right. However, the use of surplus military ball ammo (FMJ) is not legal. My personal opinion when hunting deer (I've only neck shot pigs with 5.56) is to use the heaviest expanding bullet available and pay attention to "shot placement".

Maybe one of our AR hunters will chime in and offer you more assistance.

Dave

• Like 1

[quote name="DaveS" post="1078232" timestamp="1386937074"]R_Bert told you right. However, the use of surplus military ball ammo (FMJ) is not legal. My personal opinion when hunting deer (I've only neck shot pigs with 5.56) is to use the heaviest expanding bullet available and pay attention to "shot placement". Maybe one of our AR hunters will chime in and offer you more assistance. Dave[/quote] Yes, however, I would use the heaviest bullet your AR will stabilize per barrel twist. [url=http://s680.photobucket.com/user/owensnj/media/926FDFF0-E9F8-4E93-ADEF-8E02E84893A4_zpstsijsjk3.jpg.html]926FDFF0-E9F8-4E93-ADEF-8E02E84893A4_zps[/URL] And I would chose a bullet designed for hunting. A lead soft point or ballistic tip

Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 2

Yes, however, I would use the heaviest bullet your AR will stabilize per barrel twist.

926FDFF0-E9F8-4E93-ADEF-8E02E84893A4_zps

And I would chose a bullet designed for hunting. A lead soft point or ballistic tip

That's good info on AR barrels. I would have never thought about that. Darn, there I go learning something again!

Dave

• Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

I'd prefer the heavier stuff but a good round (no FMJ) will do the trick if the shot is placed good. See my post in the deer huntin' thread on DRT. There are plenty other rounds that will do the trick, too. The shot is what matters. I used to know ol'timers in the 'Zarks that took deer with head shot .22 shorts. 'Course it wasn't legal but them old dudes didn't give a damn 'bout legal up in them mountains. They needed food. The game wardens were wise to stay away from'm, too, if ya get my drift.

[quote name="gregintenn" post="1078961" timestamp="1387045497"]If the bullets you shoot don't go into the target sideways at hunting distances, and will shoot in an acceptable group. I wouldn't give much thought to twist rate.[/quote] Well if you shoot 40 grain bullets out if a 7 twist they might fly apart before they ever get to the target. Going in sideways isn't that bad as long as it's on target. Bullets flying straight but spinning too fast may not perform as described. So it's definitely a consideration that needs to be made. The key is to choose a reputable expanding hunting load with as much mass as possible that your gun can repeatably put in a kill zone. Edited by Lumber_Jack

Well if you shoot 40 grain bullets out if a 7 twist they might fly apart before they ever get to the target. Going in sideways isn't that bad as long as it's on target. Bullets flying straight but spinning too fast may not perform as described. So it's definitely a consideration that needs to be made. The key is to choose a reputable expanding hunting load with as much mass as possible that your gun can repeatably put in a kill zone.

Were I to use one, I'd try to use as heavy a hunting bullet as I could get by with, so that negates the over stabilizing. A bullet that is keyholing will not be accurate; at least that's been my experience. They are designed to work correctly head on; not sideways.

I shot one with a 62gr Federal Fusion this past Sat. 75 yds+/-. Bullet went through the ribs and into the far shoulder stopping under the skin. Deer ran 20yds or so. Pulled the bullet out tonight it mushroomed pretty evenly and weighed 60.1gr on my RCBS 505. I guess that's about 97% weight retention. Not gonna make .223 my go to but I'm not scared to hunt with it.

Silver State Armory 5.56  I can't find it anywhere right now.... oh well.

Pierce Ammunition (Ted Nugent brand) has them.  I saw some at Academy the other day, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy 20rds of overpriced ammunition with his face on it!  :)

Remington now has a "Hog" round that is the 62gr TSX.  It was available at Academy as well.

I have read posts those who have done a lot of testing (Molon, DocGKR)... and they say the 62gr is a compromise that did not need to be made.  In any ballistics calculator, you can mock up the energy curve for the 55gr and the 70gr; it will show you the yardage where the 70gr overtakes the 55gr in energy... BUT... I believe the 70gr will have better penetration (than the 55gr) on tougher skinned animals even at close range.

FWIW: From everything I've read, the Barnes 70gr TSX bullet is the .223/5.56 hunting round. Great expansion, good penetration, 100% weight retention.... and no lead in your deer/etc. meat.

Hog hunters have been raving about it.

I've got a 1/9 twist barrel so I use the 62gr TSX. Killed two deer with it and it left an exit wound both times.

Neck shot with 223 result in immediate incapacitation/anchoring/death.

My first ~150lb doe shot in the neck (~3in higher than the base) with 223 55g 16in barrel, scope on 3X, range 80yd.

Doe was running, come to a stop.  I shot immediately when she stopped.  Doe was standing and I was looking at the tail.  223 55g connected, and doe drop exactly where I saw her last in the scope.  After the flash, concussion, and ringing in my ear, did not see any flopping or movement.

Wait ~45sec then slowly walked toward the spot (due to 15min before end of legal hour [i.e. end of natural available light for possible tracking)]. 

At 40yds away, saw doe/hump lying still.  Decide to leave doe where she was, retreated.  Wait 10min more. 

.223 in entrance, nickel or quarter size exit, 90 degree different from entrance wound. Doe's breathing tube and upper neck were undamaged.  Very little/non-existence bleeding at the exit hole.  90% of the neck around the wound channel was edible.  About 0.5 - 1.5" of bloodshot meat throughout the wound channel.

If this deer ran with this wound there will be NO blood to track.

• Like 1