Here We Go Again...School Shooting in Colorado 12/13/2013

I honestly don't understand how these things happen.  Don't people realize that the schools are Gun Free Zones.  That means guns aren't allowed.  You would think that everyone would follow the rules.  Sheesh.

• Like 2

I honestly don't understand how these things happen.  Don't people realize that the schools are Gun Free Zones.  That means guns aren't allowed.  You would think that everyone would follow the rules.  Sheesh.

Honest  Mav, when have the bad guys ever followed any rules but their own? There are two kinds of people when it comes to guns. The law biding citizens and the bad guys. One does their best to follow the laws and the other tries every way possible to not follow the laws. I honestly don't think there is an in between anymore.

Guest TNSovereignty

Time to start thinking far outside the box.  I'm for separating the boys & girls from 7th grade onward.  Twelve year old boys need to be around men.  Boy schools run by men, preferably w/ military experience, and principals with drill/boot camp experience.  No psych drugs, and no ADD diagnoses ... let the boys be boys, but make them men by the time they're thirteen.  When the boys step out of line, bring on the corporal punishment.  Bullies & troublemakers get their ass kicked.  If they get 2 ass-kickings in one semester, we go find dad & kick his ass too.  Any other transgressions & they go to a 'special' school run exactly like the way we handle troublemakers aboard ship - i.e. correctional custody.  I turned around many a young man in the military w/ heavy-handed NJP ... tough love works, and the earlier done the better.  

I know I'm in fantasy-land but its the only way I know to cure a cultural cancer like this.  

Time to start thinking far outside the box.  I'm for separating the boys & girls from 7th grade onward.  Twelve year old boys need to be around men.  Boy schools run by men, preferably w/ military experience, and principals with drill/boot camp experience.  No psych drugs, and no ADD diagnoses ... let the boys be boys, but make them men by the time they're thirteen.  When the boys step out of line, bring on the corporal punishment.  Bullies & troublemakers get their ass kicked.  If they get 2 ass-kickings in one semester, we go find dad & kick his ass too.  Any other transgressions & they go to a 'special' school run exactly like the way we handle troublemakers aboard ship - i.e. correctional custody.  I turned around many a young man in the military w/ heavy-handed NJP ... tough love works, and the earlier done the better.  

I know I'm in fantasy-land but its the only way I know to cure a cultural cancer like this.  

Sir; I agree with this totally!!

Dave

Well, let's have a logical and reasonable chat about all this crap... It's a people problem, not the instrument used.

All these public shootings and massacres didn't happen in such frequency and on a scale as they did when I was growing up, and that's my perspective, fact and reality. Something has drastically changed that is causing it? Naturally I have my own opinions on why we are where we are today but, one thing is for sure. Just like in the medical profession, people are trying to legislate laws and Band-Aids that address the symptoms and not the cures or root cause.

A gun is a more efficient weapon to induce mass casualties rather than most home made bombs, knives, or whatever and the liberals are capitalizing on that fact. They are focusing on the instrument used for murder rather than the cause and prevention.

I'm afraid more feel good measure legislation is in the pipe, more ammo / gun shortages and taxes are in our near future. People are very tired of all these mass shootings and want an end to it by any un-logical means possible.

I personally don't see a financially viable solution (taxes) for the hoards of mentally unstable and millions of potentially and violent felons out there, do you? Per capita and percentage, we have the highest incarceration rate in the world and highest mentally ill population. Why is that in the land of milk and honey?

Wait - a shooting still happened, despite being in a gun-free zone, and in a state with some of the most restrictive gun laws in our country?

HMMMM.

So much for that thar gun control.

Shame it happened, but damn it, if people could put 2 and 2 together, they'd see that this liberal hogwash is not working.

Guest TNSovereignty

I personally don't see a financially viable solution (taxes) for the hoards of mentally unstable and millions of potentially and violent felons out there, do you? Per capita and percentage, we have the highest incarceration rate in the world and highest mentally ill population. Why is that in the land of milk and honey?

Why?  Because men are endangered species, and the few that remain are oftentimes AWOL.  Because American men have been wussified by TV brainwashing, & American boys by institutional classrooms.  We're a pusillanimous culture.  We'd rather buy our milk & honey from China.

There's a perfectly viable & cheap solution for the hoards of violent felons - capital punishment.  Real quick like, and only for the incontrovertible verdicts.  Pedophiles & rapists to the head of the line.  Constitutional & biblical.  Mentally unstable folk is a sticky one, but I'm guessing it would be cheaper in the long run to institutionalize/hospitalize the very sick ones; certainly better then letting them run on the streets, live in hovels, and buy guns under the radar.

You raise a great rhetorical question ... I can promise you there's an answer, but the real answer would require such a horrendous kick in the American backside ... and we're no longer able to man-up for the chastisement we need.  Gotta go - American Idol is on.

Sorry ... I haven't had my sensitivity training this quarter.   ;)

I have said this about a 100 times so one more won't hurt. If you really are wanting to point the finger at the real issue point it at the Department of Health and Human Services and you have pointed out the problem. When they stepped in back in the early 80's and said we can show you how to raise your children because you don't know how is when the problem began and it has never been addressed that is was the one single biggest screw up in history. When the 800 Abuse numbers hit the televisions screens it took the power away from the parents and gave it to the children. DHHS didn't realize that the children were smarter than the people running the DHHS. The Children began calling the 80 number and reporting their parents as being abusive when it was not true. DHHS didn't take it as a lie and when they launched an investigation they were not discrete about anything. They went to the employers, neighbors, other relatives, and even the churches the people attended asking questions. They didn't care that the child might be lying before they destroyed the family and their lives. They did that for so many years that any investigation scared the hell out of parents until the parents were afraid to do any type of correcting or disciplinarian action of their children for fear the child would call DHHS. It was only in the past year or so that most of those investigations have been discontinued and that is due to the fact that DHHS does not have the funding needed to perform them. The damage has already been done and I don't know if it can ever be corrected. It was proven back several years ago in a case where a teacher took the time to actually spend time with one particular child and learned that she was truly being abused by a family member. The Teacher asked her why she never called anyone for help. The girls response was no boy or girl that is truly abused will ever ask for help. When the teacher asked why, she said because we all live in fear that the people will not remove the person or believe the child and when the abuser finds out that they were reported by the child the abuse would get many times worse. Now we are living in a time when all those young people that used the DHHS to control their parents are the same people that have children of their own but because they were never taught right from wrong as children they don't know how to be parents themselves. Now with this said. If you want to point the finger at the real problem point it back about 30 years to the real issue which was DHHS and it's policies. Between that and so many doctors putting kids on drugs for ADHD that didn't have it because the child was acting out and parents could not control them because of DHHS FEARS....................JMHO

Edited by bersaguy

Honest  Mav, when have the bad guys ever followed any rules but their own? There are two kinds of people when it comes to guns. The law biding citizens and the bad guys. One does their best to follow the laws and the other tries every way possible to not follow the laws. I honestly don't think there is an in between anymore.

I was being very tongue-in-cheek with my post.  I could have said that all "Gun Free Zones" do is put a potential bullseye wherever the are instituted.  If was a would-be nut that wanted to kill as many people as possible while minimizing my risk for return fire, those are areas I would look at.

I was being very tongue-in-cheek with my post.  I could have said that all "Gun Free Zones" do is put a potential bullseye wherever the are instituted.  If was a would-be nut that wanted to kill as many people as possible while minimizing my risk for return fire, those are areas I would look at.

You would have been a lot closer to hitting the nail on the head had you posted that. .............jmho