Experience with Metro's finest

bubbadavis

So I got pulled over this morning for 58 in a 45. I handed the officer my license and HCP. He asked if I was armed and, if so, where it was. I told him I was and where the gun was. He didn't even blink. Ran my license and only gave me a warning. He was very professional the entire time and didn't freak out when he found out I was armed. It was a younger officer (my wife said he looked about 12  :pleased: ). 

This Metro officer was very polite and professional the entire time. As good an experience as you can hope to have when getting pulled over for speeding!

• Like 12

A nice Christmas Gift   :woohoo:

Oh yeah! I was very happy. My wife now things a HCP is a magic "get out of ticket" card. 

Even if he had written me the ticket, he was professional and polite. Officers get a hard time when experiences are bad - I figured people need to know that at least some of them are doing things right!

• Like 6

Oh yeah! I was very happy. My wife now things a HCP is a magic "get out of ticket" card. 

Even if he had written me the ticket, he was professional and polite. Officers get a hard time when experiences are bad - I figured people need to know that at least some of them are doing things right!

Thank you for sharing.
I have encountered a lot of officers in my life, professionally and personally, and can attest to officers are just people. There are nice polite ones and ones......less so. It's still nice to here good stories with all the negative we are bombarded with so much.
I've had dealings with Metro officers no less than 5 times in the last year. I work in east Nashville and unlike some people can't seem to just walk away from somethings that are common experiences. Bums pissing on my store, some guy falling off the bus and just laying there, no one else trying to help. Typical inner city crap.

Anyway, Metro officers are some fine folks, helpful and professional in my experience.

There are some young ones, but my only interaction with one if them was just as positive as any other. Must have good FTOs in Metro.
Glad to hear a report on how things usually go for a change instead of only hearing about it when something bad happens. Like you said, sounds like, even if he had written you a ticket it would have been a normal stop.

I'm happy to say I have only had one bad experience with an LEO in my life. I was 16 at the time and all I recall from the encounter was feeling like a big shot, because "I didn't take no crap" when he was hassling me. I'm sure I'm leaving out some details that were more likely the cause of me leaving with a ticket than whatever it was I was pulled over for..

The only encounters I have had with LEO's since obtaining my HCP have all be positive with young and older officers. About all of them are seat belt related issues because I don't use the shoulder harness part of the belt so they think I don't have my seat belt on. When they approach my Jeep they are always professional and ask for DL and always offer my HCP also so not to alarm them when they run my tags and DL. I also do open my door and show them that I do have my lap belt fastened. A few have asked why I altered my seat belt system and I hand them the letter from my doctor and a few read it and others just ask and I reply. I have yet to have one give me a ticket because of it or be unprofessional. I guess some of it might be that I also have handicap license plates because I am considered 100% disabled. Basically I think in an overall rating the ratio of good cop bad cop is probably 90% good 5 % not so good and 5% real bone heads..........................jmho

The golden rule.
Do unto others as you have others do unto you.
Works every time.

If ya get stopped roll your windows down have your license and registration handy, hands on the wheel, and say hi officer how are you doing today ??

It's a nice start to a conversation that ends w no cost and a nice day!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
Guest kingarmory

How are Metro cops about being armed?  Here in AZ most of the cops are gun guys and don't fret about you having a gun, kinda trying to acclimate myself to the legal differences in TN so I don't end up having any issues.  I got pulled over for driving 85+ in a 75 zone and driving aggressively, had a .44 in my pocket, a 12ga SBS on the passenger seat, and another shotgun laying in the backseat (I was on my way to a shoot and running late) and the deputy didn't even care.  Ran my license, told me to slow down a little, and have a good day.  Really kinda hard to run afoul of the gun laws here but I know TN's are a little different

It varies. A friend of mine is Metro PD. Former SWAT and former Academy instructor, now off doing something else for MPD. He told me that very few of the cadets know crap about firearms. They keep a good variety on hand at the Academy to teach them how to safely handle them when they encounter them in the field. Everything from a basic revolver to AR-15s to shotguns to Tommy guns to some really odd stuff. He admitted that there's a lot of the law on firearms that he doesn't know, esp. regarding NFA items. A person can only memorize so much stuff, so they of course focus on the more common elements of the job. I think it's safe to say that there are fewer "gun people" on the Metro PD than you might think.

I've always handed a Metro officer my HCP along with my driver's license. If they run the DL, they will know I have a HCP anyway. I'd rather put them at ease by being upfront about being armed. They have always treated me well.

There are stories around about officers treating HCP holders like criminals. Stuff like disarming during a traffic stop (legal in TN, BTW), etc. That has not been my experience, which is why I started this thread.

It's the same for police officers as everything else: 10% give the other 90% a bad name. As far as I am concerned (echoed by many of my co-workers) the more armed citizens, the better. The only people I want to disarm are criminals. It is true that a lot of officers are not "gun people" per se. Many have their service weapons and that's it; and they shoot em twice a year to qualify. While unacceptable IMO, it's a fact. I'm glad the OP had a good experience and do my best to leave people feeling the same as he did. Be warned: if I stop you and you produce a HCP, I'm likely going to ask you what you carry and waste even more of your time talking about guns. I might even ask if you are a TGO member. I'm not saying being a "gun person" keeps you from getting a ticket...but it don't hurt.

How are Metro cops about being armed?  Here in AZ most of the cops are gun guys and don't fret about you having a gun, kinda trying to acclimate myself to the legal differences in TN so I don't end up having any issues.  I got pulled over for driving 85+ in a 75 zone and driving aggressively, had a .44 in my pocket, a 12ga SBS on the passenger seat, and another shotgun laying in the backseat (I was on my way to a shoot and running late) and the deputy didn't even care.  Ran my license, told me to slow down a little, and have a good day.  Really kinda hard to run afoul of the gun laws here but I know TN's are a little different

Probably OK if you don't have a name that is on state radar or marching though a park with the largest AK pistol you can find.

• Like 1

Probably OK if you don't have a name that is on state radar or marching though a park with the largest AK pistol you can find.

Lol, true. With the tip painted orange, no less...