Cancer victim booted from Mortons for not removing his hat

Dustbuster

This is bad, needless to say. Although it was rare we did, Ill never eat at any Mortons or Landry restaurant again...

The original story has been going viral all day.The masses are pissed by the looks of the facebook comments... rightfully so..me too

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

A company Christmas party at one of the best-known steakhouses in Nashville left a bad taste in some customers' mouths, and the fallout has a lot of people talking on social media.

When a customer'sicon1.png Yelp review told the story of her husband's boss, a cancer patient, who encountered problems just by putting on a hat to stay warm, the post when viral and now the restaurant promises to make it right.

Robert Chambers owns The Coin Vault in Franklin and took his employees to dinner at Morton's The Steakhouse in downtown Nashville.

Chambers is also battling cancer, and one of his employees wrote in a Facebook post that toward the end of their meal, Chambers "put on a beanie to cover his head because he was getting chilled - one of the many side effects of his treatment."

Witnesses say Chambers was asked to take off his hat inside the restaurant, which he did, but others quickly came to his defense for needing to wear the hat.

The employee goes on to write, "after getting a manager, the waitress came back and said she would need to see a doctor's note before he could resume wearing the hat."

Chambers declined an interview but wrote in an email that, "All could have been avoided with a simple 'I'm sorry to hear of your situation. What can we do to help?'"

On Facebook, Chambers spoke to the bigger issue:

"I would like to ask that the outcome of this situation simply be empathy toward others," he wrote. "I have been in treatment for 10 months fighting for my life. I don't need or want another battle. My family and friends are highly protective of me because of this situation. I would like something positive to come from this. Perhaps, Morton's could examine their policies so that no one else would have this occur."

The restaurant responded Monday to the wave of criticism. Tim Whitlock, senior vice president of operations and chief operating officer for Morton's The Steakhouse, wrote in a statement:

"Our executive team has been in contact with Mr. Chambers who fully accepted our apology. There was a complete and total misunderstanding by our staff who had no idea that our guest had a medical condition. Our actions were uninformed and our intentions were not malicious. As a sign of our sincere apology and commitment to the community, we are donating on behalf of Mr. Chambers, $2,000.00 to the St. Jude's Hospital. In addition, Morton's The Steakhouse will also partner with Mr. Chambers to underwrite a cancer fundraiser.

"At Morton's The Steakhouse, superior customer service is our first priority. We appreciate the patronage of our loyal guests and look forward to continuing to serve the Nashville community. We embrace our role as an iconic location where generations come to share special moments and memories."

Despite the response from the restaurant, some customers wrote follow-up reviews that they plan to take theirbusinessicon1.png elsewhere, and others even hinted at the possibility of a protest.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/24234919/reaction-swift-after-mortons-customer-with-cancer-told-to-remove-hat

The restaurant responded Monday to the wave of criticism. Tim Whitlock, senior vice president of operations and chief operating officer for Morton's The Steakhouse, wrote in a statement:

"Our executive team has been in contact with Mr. Chambers who fully accepted our apology. There was a complete and total misunderstanding by our staff who had no idea that our guest had a medical condition. Our actions were uninformed and our intentions were not malicious. As a sign of our sincere apology and commitment to the community, we are donating on behalf of Mr. Chambers, $2,000.00 to the St. Jude's Hospital. In addition, Morton's The Steakhouse will also partner with Mr. Chambers to underwrite a cancer fundraiser.

"At Morton's The Steakhouse, superior customer service is our first priority. We appreciate the patronage of our loyal guests and look forward to continuing to serve the Nashville community. We embrace our role as an iconic location where generations come to share special moments and memories."

Despite the response from the restaurant, some customers wrote follow-up reviews that they plan to take theirbusinessicon1.png elsewhere, and others even hinted at the possibility of a protest.

Why would the server ask for a doctors note if she had no idea of his medical condition? In reality, they were made aware of his medical condition, but decided he was lying about being a cancer patient.

Here's the full review. It's even worse than what's been reported in the article posted above.

http://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid=ic5a0ViLmWRHBQ0RpyicEg

I'm dreading writing this review. Honestly, the food was fantastic (some of the best prosciutto the hubs and I've ever had), the drinks were well-crafted (hello, Secret Garden cocktail), even our waitress (whose name escapes me) made sure we were well attended to. 

So, why the one-star rating, you ask? Well, it's simple, friends. Customer service and human decency go a LONG way.

Basically, 16 of us dined this evening for my hubby's company holiday party. Several appetizers, entrees, and sides (and cocktails!) later, we racked up a $2000 tab and were well on our way to ordering desserts.

Relevant sidenote: The hubs' boss is undergoing chemo treatments for a bout of cancer that has left him with a cold sensitivity, especially with the typical hair loss. When he put on a wool beanie in the restaurant to keep warm, he was immediately asked to remove it... which he did. When his family mentioned his condition and questioned the treatment from Catrina, the assistant manager, they were told he could wear it if he presented a doctors' note... or if we had given them previous notice so we could be accommodated elsewhere. (Out of sight, out of mind?)

In short, what followed was shock/disbelief (can't say that I blame them) and the cops being called (huh?), and we were (all 16 of us) asked to leave.

On our way out, my protective spouse asked the manager if we looked like criminals. To which he responded, "the cops just patrol this area and decided to check in." Riiiight.

So. I reiterate: Customer service and human decency go a LONG way. I've been in Nashville close to 15 years and I really hate to think that the city I love has an establishment so pretentious that they would discriminate against someone with a life-threatening condition. Is a wool beanie on one individual's head that much of a threat to sales and ambiance?

Was this review …?

• Like 1
Guest TresOsos

I didn't see where he was booted out, just asked to remove his hat.

Sounds like Morton's has apologised and Mr. Chambers is satified with that, as well as they have made a donation and promise to help with a fund rasier.

It is unfortnate this happened but I'm also glad that some places still have standards, though exceptions should be made when approriate and in this case an exception should definately been made.

Personally I don't like going out to a nice place and having people wearing ball caps, forward, backward, sideway whatever, didn't their mom teach them any manners.

Edited by TresOsos

Yea, Mortons has been back peddling since the incident and going to donate 2 grand to St Judes and also help the guy they insulted begin a Cancer fund drive. The way I look at it the damage has already been done and I doubt that it will be forgotten soon, but then there are those that won't care and continue trading with them regardless...................jmho

Sounds like Morton's has apologised and Mr. Chambers is satified with that, as well as they have made a donation and promise to help with a fund rasier.

It is unfortnate this happened but I'm also glad that some places still have standards, though exceptions should be made when approriate and in this case an exception should definately been made.

Personally I don't like going out to a nice place and having people wearing ball caps, forward, backward, sideway whatever, didn't their mom teach them any manners.

In short, what followed was shock/disbelief (can't say that I blame them) and the cops being called (huh?), and we were (all 16 of us) asked to leave.

Let me guess, they have a one of those Zero tolerance policies that a worker tried to enforce because I bet they don't give the employees room to make simple decisions.

I bet when they came back and ask for a doctors note, I bet a higher up told the person to ask for that.

Edited by vontar
Guest TresOsos

I didn't see that in the original article, that was way out of line, thing is common sense if very uncommon now of days.

The article did say several people came to his defense, maybe they got a little loud and passionate, which I wouldn't blame them, scared the management a little.

Really sad this happened especially this time of year, goodwill to your fellow man and all, could have totally been avoided.

Edited by TresOsos

Where are we as a society when someone will call the police over not adhering to a minor dress code policy?

I mean, really, why?!

Then again, I see people using hammers to kill flies (and miss) figuratively, and broken windows like this are the price for it.

As a Cancer survivor, I can relate to the ordeal that Mr. Chambers is living. Chemotherapy is not fun. And the side effects can be terrible.

I too, wore a stocking cap most of the time when going out. And I was never once asked to remove it.

Morton's employees must be singularly proud of their establishment to ask such a poorly dressed guest to leave. And I can't believe that the wait staff and the management's eyesight is so bad that they could not see something was wrong with Mr. Chambers.

Believe me, I don't look very great now, and I can assure you that during chemo I looked like the phrase "death warmed over." Unless in the recovery stages, almost all of us would look very weak, wane and pale at best.

I don't know if I'd say I won't go to Morton's again, but this surely will stick in my mind.

Edited by hipower
I can almost understand a dress code but then again, I'm paying just like everyone else. It's not like he was wearing a thong and flip flops.

Last time I ate at Stoney River (none too cheap, very nice steak house) I was wearing denim shorts, an Iron Maiden tshirt and a Satriani hoodie (to cover my G19). They were as polite and welcoming to me as they were to any of the Brentwood snobs in their Sunday go to meetin clothes.
  • Like 2
People can't think on their own or communicate face to face anymore.

I like how most store help stands around with blank looks on their face, waiting to be told what to do or say.

I'm sure if someone had posted on facebook or tweeted that sick people can wear hats before hand. There would have been no incident at the restaurant. But since no specific orders were given to staff that night, they chose wrong.

Whip them in public and move on.
Guest Bonedaddy

Frankly, hats don't bother me, in the least. Helps keep loose hair outta my food. And to tell me how I should dress just means you don't reside in my world, where bein' judgmental will get you run off with a quickness. You will never find me in such a place and I'm totally happy with that.

Morton's handled it like buffoons. Ok they apologized and gave pocket change to St Jude's but they asked him to remove his cap as though it was offensive to other diners. Well they did a great job of offending thousands of diners. Morton's did call the pd which shows they were ready to enforce their stupid policy.

A more fitting punishment would be to make the offenders walk through st Jude's or Vanderbilts Carell center wearing shirts that say show me your doctors note or remove your hat..

In my book Morton's fits right in with the worst sociopaths imaginable w no regard for feelings of others. Like one poster said : I hope they sink so bad the guy from bar rescue can't bail their azzes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 1
I never even heard of this place until reading about it on Facebook. I guess mainly because I wear a hat everywhere I go besided church. If you cant handle me wearing my hat then I will be absolutely be more than happy to spend my money somewhere else. I dont see it as a bad manners thing, I see it as a free country and something that nobody should be offended by. If a non offensive hat offends you then you obviously just have too much time on your hands.
  • Like 1
I didn’t know Nashville even had a Morton’s. They are one of my favorite Steak Houses. I’m glad to see that Morton’s Management stepped up and tried to make things right instead of covering it up. The customer is this is satisfied, so that’s good enough for me. Employees can be ignorant; that’s what happened here. If I boycotted everywhere that had stupid employees I would have to stay home all the time. If the company supported the actions of their employees I could see an issue; but they clearly did not do that, and tried to make it right.
  • Like 2