Phil removed from Duck Dynasty...

NoBanStan

I think A&E is between a rock and a hard place on this one. At the end of the day they are a business and exist to make money, so the choices they make are rooted in that. I think, however, they should have taken more time to consider those choices. I think this will lose them a whole lotta of money. Edited by TMF
  • Like 1

A person can't pick and choose which parts of the bible are right and which parts are wrong, you either believe it or you don't. I don't think a homosexual man or woman is any more of a sinner than myself but homosexuality is a sin and they'll have to answer for that just the same as I will for the multiple sins that I commit every day. There's only been on man to walk this earth that was free from sin and as far as i'm concerned he will be the only one judge anyone of us. I have a few gay friends and I don't think of them as any less than myself even though I hold the bibles view on their choice of lifestyle, it's not my business to judge. 

If this had been any other religion it wouldn't have even made the small talk between news segments but because it is a Christian family in the sea of liberal that is show biz, it is shouted from the hilltop. They claim that Phil is a bigot for expressing his religious beliefs when asked about them but maybe if they actually new the definition of bigotry ( bigoted attitudes; intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself) they would realize that they themselves are the bigots in the room. This was a setup and when Phil didn't say things in a bigotry enough like manner for them they chopped up and edited the film to suit their ends.  

• Like 17

I watched the show every week, bout the best show on the tube.

I know it was "TV", they make a product in the USA, used firearms.

Most of all they pray on "TV", something ya do not see any where else.

Some have complained about the guns and praying before.

The family said they would not change their ways, so now this happens.

Go figure

We can not speak our minds now with out being labeled by others.

For a long time a lot of stuff was in the "closet" now we are in the "closet".

Yea, some will pipe up saying "not me", well when was the last time you "open carry".

Christmas attacked, Gun people attacked, God fearing people attacked,

freedom of speech attacked, I could go on and on.

More and more we are being put into the closet, gona get small fast, dont ya know.

• Like 1

I'm not going to get into a debate about homosexuality, sin, and morality but A&E needs to realize that the reason this show is the most popular on TV is because it's about a family that teaches their kids the importance of having strong values and respect for one another. But more importantly it's the least politically correct show on TV and people love that.

I did think it was funny when Phil said a woman's vagina seems more appealing than a mans anus. Classic line.

• Like 2
[quote name="Luke E." post="1081075" timestamp="1387430461"]This was a setup and when Phil didn't say things in a bigotry enough like manner for them they chopped up and edited the film to suit their ends. [/quote] I've never watched the show, but when I heard about this that wash first thought as well. This was some kind of setup or publicity stunt by A&E. The man has an opinion. While I don't agree with him, he has as much right to his opinion and beliefs as I do my own. From what little I do know of the show, I think he's the type of guy that while he may hold that view, he could go get a cup of coffee with a gay guy and talk about something else and everybody get along just fine. I find it very hard to believe that A&E filmed four seasons of the show and they're just now being surprised by this. Heck, I've never seen the show and I'm not surprised that a series that espouses traditional Christian values didn't wave around a rainbow flag. You really mean to tell me y'all worked with this guy for years and this came out of nowhere? I don't buy it. I don't see it as a freedom of speech issue though. While he has a right to his opinion, he doesn't have the right to be on TV. Depending on how the contract is written, A&E may be well within what they're allowed to do by letting him go. I think it's a stupid decision for them to make, and I think it will bite them in the rear pretty quickly. I think it should. Nothing to do with rights, but there's no need to make pretend that we all live on some watered down world where everybody thinks the same way, and I'm tired of seeing folks try to do that. Let people be people. Edited by 56FordGuy
  • Like 5

That entire family shares his beliefs...as strongly as he does.

I don’t think so. If they did all they would have to do is say he isn’t being pulled from the show and that would be the end of it. A+E has a mega hit on their hands, but it is because of that family.
  • Like 1

They already did that once before when A&E didn't gun god and guns on the show. I hope they do it again.

So they don’t want anything about God or Guns and they want to fire someone over their views on Gays. Be interesting to see how this pans out.

Maybe there is an ax to grind with Phil at A&E.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/05/10/Duck-Dynasty-Star-If-We-Can-t-Mention-God-Or-Guns-Then-We-re-Done-Filming

One thing that has been reported is that A&E signed the Robertson family for another season, "under Phil Robertson's terms."

[quote name="RebelCowboySnB" post="1081071" timestamp="1387430107"]This show is in Louisiana right? Wonder what the law is there? Can you legally fire someone for being a Christian?[/quote] I know all the news headlines say fired, but when you read them, the articles say 'suspended from filming'. So in all likelihood he is on paid leave. I applaud his comments on sin and for having the courage not to back down from his beliefs. A&E with no firm beliefs or morals with follow the dollar and alienate all sides in the process.
I would be floored if Willie and the Family decided it was OK to film without Phil. The whole family preaches they all are followers if Jesus. Last time I checked Phil didn't wrote the Bible he just quoted a verse. A quote from GQ that's not repeated often. "We never, ever judge someone on who's going to heaven, hell. That's the Almighty's job." "We just love 'em give 'me the good news about Jesus - wether they're homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort em out later. -Phil Roberston

It had come to the time that we are losing what made the country great.  our values have been changed by small groups of people that want to make us like them and control what we do and say.   

I agree with this in some sense, but you do realize the irony in that statement as well, correct?  Just because "your" group of people is losing its control over what people do and say and they are not being forced to make themselves like you, that now there is some major problem.  I don't buy it.  This country is still great, just go take a look around the world and tell me where else you want to live.

• Like 1
After reading several articles on this subject, I believe this is little more than a publicity stunt pulled by A&E. The show has been on long enough, so the views of the cast can't possibly come as a surprise. I haven't watched the show, but I'm still well aware of their religious beliefs. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling, the show will go on.
  • Like 4
Am I the only one who sees the glaring hypocrisy in this thread? A fellow TGO member gives his biblical views on homosexuality and is quickly dismissed as a homophobe and a bigot. Phil Robertson does it and all of a sudden many of you who do that very same name calling rush to his defense. I'm in Phil's corner, but many of you should be ashamed. Either we're all homophobes or none of us are. Make up your minds.
  • Like 1

I was just reminded; Phil is espousing the same belief system and line of reasoning as the 2013 Time Magazine Man Of The Year.

The M.O.T.Y. would not disagree with a single thing Phil said.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

A person can't pick and choose which parts of the bible are right and which parts are wrong, you either believe it or you don't. I don't think a homosexual man or woman is any more of a sinner than myself but homosexuality is a sin and they'll have to answer for that just the same as I will for the multiple sins that I commit every day. There's only been on man to walk this earth that was free from sin and as far as i'm concerned he will be the only one judge anyone of us. I have a few gay friends and I don't think of them as any less than myself even though I hold the bibles view on their choice of lifestyle, it's not my business to judge. 

If this had been any other religion it wouldn't have even made the small talk between news segments but because it is a Christian family in the sea of liberal that is show biz, it is shouted from the hilltop. They claim that Phil is a bigot for expressing his religious beliefs when asked about them but maybe if they actually new the definition of bigotry ( bigoted attitudes; intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself) they would realize that they themselves are the bigots in the room. This was a setup and when Phil didn't say things in a bigotry enough like manner for them they chopped up and edited the film to suit their ends.  

This.  You can be a Christian in America today without any trouble as long as you don't really mean it.  I'm a POS some days and certainly no better than the next guy (gay or not), but, if you believe the Bible, a sin is a sin.  Very few people of any belief or creed these days will stand up and say what they believe when it's against public opinion.

• Like 1

Mr. Robertson's own personal views, opinions, and preferences aside, this thread and the responses bring a couple of things to mind:

1) Any press is good press.  Others have mentioned it.  "suspended from filming"  for one,... two episodes... until the next one begins filming?

**or the end of the show is already planned,.. and they are concreting the family's connection with their fan base in order to maximize recurrant revenue streams.

2) As far as this show (and the contract, most likely) is concerned, Phil is not a person with an opinion, he is an actor playing character.... BUT since he is playing himself, he is a character ... which is a commodity.  Phil's "role" on that show is a commodity with a variable value.  Whatever the reason, it is not as simple as "how could they do that to him!?"  ... or "those hypocrites".  This show, whatever deal they were given, whatever deal they re-negotiated, it was never about "fair" or "respect for personal beliefs".  Most likely, the show came about because of a perceived (later confirmed) market value.  That was and has always been the bottom line.  Whatever you/our personal beliefs, big business has never cared.  ever.

• Like 2
Guest Lester Weevils

A person can't pick and choose which parts of the bible are right and which parts are wrong, you either believe it or you don't.

Dunno, but it seems one of the most common things in western history for people to pick and choose what parts of the bible to believe. Otherwise, where the heck did all those thousands of different christian sects come from?

If nobody has a choice except to either believe it or not, then why did there evolve baptists, adventists, mormons, catholics, greek/russian orthodox, coptic, presbyterian, pentecostal, etc ad infinitum? :)

As far as phil goes, his opinions do not matter to me any more than my opinions matter to him. Who cares.