Phil removed from Duck Dynasty...

NoBanStan

So the family has no say over how their images are used? Seems like they would have some degree of influence over that.

It goes by whatever is in the contract. The "talent" almost never owns the brand, unless they bring it with them. In all fairness to A&E, they took the risk to develop that brand. Of course, it's worthless without the Robertsons. When it all shakes out, it's gonna be without the money. Killing a brand like that can be a career ending move.

Then where is the outrage over the new TN Lottery Duck Dynasty game? Isn't gambling a sin also? Or are we just looking the other way on that one? :lol: Seriously, which Bible are we preaching from? The one that didn't say "gay" until the 1950s? Or the one where Jesus never addressed gay folks?

Jesus never addressed gays because his father did long before Jesus was born in Genesis 18:16-19:29. which discusses the two cities of Sodom and Gomorrah....................So yes it does depend on which version of the Bible you read but in the original versions it is addressed..........not posting this as a reason of discrimination because I am not one that is a judge of others...........Just addressing an issue in a post............jmho

[quote name="56FordGuy" post="1081813" timestamp="1387562225"]So the family has no say over how their images are used? Seems like they would have some degree of influence over that.[/quote] No, actually they don't at the end of the day. Just watch some interviews with Phil and you'll learn that quickly. There's much more references to God, and preaching that never makes the air, because once again that's out of their control. Personally, I wish they'd just go back to making hunting shows and doing guided hunts. I like Duck Dynasty, but I liked their actual hunting stuff better

I never said otherwise. Heck, if you read back you'll see that I think Phil also had the right to say what he did and as a gay guy, I didn't find anything offensive about it. It's the continual references to "speaking the truth" that I was talking about. You have the right to say that as well. I'm not questioning your rights. I'm just saying the first step to saving souls, if I recall my Christian raising correctly, is reaching out to the lost. You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

And THIS is what sticks in my craw about the whole thing. As I've said before, I have a lot of gay friends. During the great chicken outrage, all the "Evil Chicken People" Facebook posts were coming from my liberal idiot friends. My gay friends were silent. Some even had lunch there during the whole thing. Fact is, there was no hate involved. I view the thing with Phil as the same thing.

This whole issue isn't about free speech, discrimination, homophobia, hate, or any of that stuff. It's about over the top political correctness... again.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 5

And THIS is what sticks in my craw about the whole thing. As I've said before, I have a lot of gay friends. During the great chicken outrage, all the "Evil Chicken People" Facebook posts were coming from my liberal idiot friends. My gay friends were silent. Some even had lunch there during the whole thing. Fact is, there was no hate involved. I view the thing with Phil as the same thing.

This whole issue isn't about free speech, discrimination, homophobia, hate, or any of that stuff. It's about over the top political correctness... again.

I vote for this as the best post in the thread!  :usa:

'Murica!!

Edited by daddyo
  • Like 1

I also have a lot of gay friends and they were also silent through the Chik filet ordeal and yep a few of my friends and I went along and we ate at the one here in Gallatin and they said nothing except they liked the sandwiches and we talked about their last bass tournament they fished. As far as I am concerned when it comes to political correctness, I am not sure just when all of that came about because my memory is not all that good any more but if anyone expects me to be politically correct I am sure their feelings are going to get hurt..............jmho

• Admin Team

A few thoughts:

I've got a friend in a place where he keeps a family bible under the floorboards of his house.  I will remember the day he shared it with me until the day I die.  His wife smuggled it into the country, and it was considered a capital offense.  It's not a capital offense anymore, but being caught with it will result in your right hand being shredded.  So, I'm sorry.  I just can't see the Christian persecution thing so many people are screaming about.  There are places in this world where Christians are actively persecuted.  A&E isn't one of them. 

Are the same people who are screaming persecution right now going to complain with as loud a voice if/when they realize that this was a publicity stunt by A&E.  I see this angle being less and less likely, but I hope people remember that they were played if that turns out to be the case.

In the more likely case that someone at A&E made a snap decision and/or made a statement and suspended the guy, it's interesting that by taking that action, they gave him a much louder voice and wider audience than he would have had otherwise.

As a Christian, I hope that I can have the courage to act out my belief that a gay person's sins don't put any more distance between them and God than do the sins I bring to the table.  If I really believe that, then it should be reflected both in my personal life, my voice and in my church. 

Regardless, I just have a hard time seeing this whole brouhaha as something that I need to be outraged about. If I let my more cynical voice come to the surface, I would argue that this is a wonderful example of a manufactured crisis.  As I see it right now, in the short term both A&E and the Robertson Family benefit from this by selling a whole lot of product.  Good product on television only lasts so long.  What a way to move some merchandise and go out with a bang.

• Like 5

Christians are also the only group that scream so loudly that they are right, and there is no possibility they could be wrong. While its fine to believe that, you have to understand that a lot of people disagree with it. Heck, even a number of Christians believe there will be gay people of heaven. I think the "attacked" Christians would gain more ground if they didn't dig their heels in and refuse to even consider the possibility they could be wrong.

What good and what point would there be to following any religion if its foundational texts are fluid and/or just a matter of opinion? It doesn't matter if "Christians" are "right" or not...they have an absolute right to believe what they believe. Maybe the Constitution is "wrong" too and needs to be ignored when is says something that one particular person or group doesn't like!

Phil was not "screaming anything...he wasn't out on a street corner telling "gays" they are all going to go to hell". He was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer. What was Phil supposed to do; ignore a lifetime of following Christ and lie about what he actually believed? I guess he could have but had he done so people would be right to question whether his Christian faith really meant anything to him or not.

• Like 2
Guest RebelCowboySnB

Well he might have been yelling... They were speeding across 20,000 acres of La swamp on a ATV. I raise my voice some when I try to talk while dong that.

Serously, how can anyone say he was screaming anything. You don't get more private than 20K acres of swamp.

Could someone please point out where in Corinthians it says homosexual? I've seen this verse mis quoted several times:

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Guest RebelCowboySnB

Could someone please point out where in Corinthians it says homosexual? I've seen this verse mis quoted several times:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Its not being misquoted, its differing translations. I cant say what the original text means as I cant read it.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Edited by RebelCowboySnB
[quote name="RobertNashville" post="1081859" timestamp="1387569994"]What good and what point would there be to following any religion if its foundational texts are fluid and/or just a matter of opinion? It doesn't matter if "Christians" are "right" or not...they have an absolute right to believe what they believe. Maybe the Constitution is "wrong" too and needs to be ignored when is says something that one particular person or group doesn't like![/quote] My post that you referenced was not about Phil's rights. I've said several times already what he said was fine. My post was in reference to the idea that Christians are persecuted for "speaking the truth." As for the foundational texts being fluid, the Bible is. How else do you explain all the different denominations within Christianity? Which group has the truth correct? If church A says drinking is a sin, and church B says drinking is okay, someone must be wrong. If church B members drink regularly, are they not living in a sinful lifestyle as viewed by church A's viewpoint? Are they not unrepentant of their theoretical sin? Whose truth is right? I can prove rocks are hard. I can prove lit matches and gasoline will start a fire. I can prove TGO loves gay threads. :lol: With spiritual matters, you simply can't nail down hard proof. Even the Scriptures say faith is required. As a result, you can't lay claim to having the one and only truth. You can believe anything you want, whether we agree on it or not. That's your right, and I will defend that right until the end. We can debate various belief systems, which is what I was doing, but I'm not questioning your right to believe it. Edited by 56FordGuy
  • Like 3

Well, I think everyone has their own beliefs when it comes to religion and I can respect each and every one of them because I do believe that if I judge any one persons beliefs to be right or wrong I will also be judged. "Judge les ye be judged by the Lord God". That is why I will never be judgmental of anyone's beliefs. An experience I had while in Nam gave me the most clear sight of what my future should be. I was holding the hand of a wounded soldier knowing he was dying and also knowing he was a die-hard atheist. He looked at me and said, I am not going to make it am I? I would not lie to him and I said probably not, trying not to just be blunt. He then said something that caught me totally off guard. He said, I wish I could go to Heaven but I know I won't. I had to ask him cause I had to know. I said do you believe in Heaven and God. His words totally blew me away. He said yes and said I knew I could not live by his rules so I chose not to follow him. About 10 seconds later he died. Now I don't know about much and I won't say one way or the other but one quote in the bible immediately jump into my head.  It is  "He who believeth in me shall not parish but have ever lasting life" So since that day I have always wondered if that young Private would go to Heaven. He did believe in Heaven and he did believe in GOD but just declared himself an atheist just because he didn't live by GODS rules. I don't think I will ever forget that 15 or so minutes I got to spend with him. And I don't guess I will ever know the answer but I think about it from time to time when discussions like this come up.........jmho. 

My post that you referenced was not about Phil's rights. I've said several times already what he said was fine. My post was in reference to the idea that Christians are persecuted for "speaking the truth." As for the foundational texts being fluid, the Bible is. How else do you explain all the different denominations within Christianity? Which group has the truth correct? If church A says drinking is a sin, and church B says drinking is okay, someone must be wrong. If church B members drink regularly, are they not living in a sinful lifestyle as viewed by church A's viewpoint? Are they not unrepentant of their theoretical sin? Whose truth is right? I can prove rocks are hard. I can prove lit matches and gasoline will start a fire. I can prove TGO loves gay threads. :lol: With spiritual matters, you simply can't nail down hard proof. Even the Scriptures say faith is required. As a result, you can't lay claim to having the one and only truth. You can believe anything you want, whether we agree on it or not. That's your right, and I will defend that right until the end. We can debate various belief systems, which is what I was doing, but I'm not questioning your right to believe it.

Sorry that I apparently misunderstood the point of your post.

I can't agree that the Bible is "fluid"...there have been bad translations...there have been translations for sure and some people's interpretations vary; sometimes even the most leaned scholars disagree on specific points or words or how those words were used at the time of the writing but most of the difference in Christian denominations are often very minor distinctions; not significant elements of "truth" or that affect one's basic faith.

1. Some take communion every week, some take it once a month...some only a couple of times a year

2. Some denominations have a very structured/formal liturgy while others are very unstructured or at last not nearly so formal

3. Some Christian's believe that drinking alcohol is "sinful"; some believe that only overindulgence is sinful

4. Some Christian faiths baptize with full emersion into water; some sprinkle water on the person's head

5. Some believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit as described in Acts were "only for that time" while others believe they operate today, etc.

So yes, there are different Christian sects/denominations but that doesn't necessarily mean that one must be "wrong" and the other "right"...most points of disagreement are about relatively minor issues and most importantly; are not issues of "salvation".

Most of the "differences" are simply a reflection that people are different from one another; most "Christians" do agree on the the major issues...the major tenants of Christian faith which defined what a "Christian" is; the rest of it will get sorted out when this life is over.

Edited by RobertNashville

Then where is the outrage over the new TN Lottery Duck Dynasty game? Isn't gambling a sin also? Or are we just looking the other way on that one? :lol: Seriously, which Bible are we preaching from? The one that didn't say "gay" until the 1950s? Or the one where Jesus never addressed gay folks?

It's like anything else. It's only wrong when the government isn't doing it.

Edit: Nooooooo!!! I was scrupulously avoiding posting in this thread :(

Edited by tnguy

Without Phil, after this season you will be watching reruns.

A&E will regret that.

I didn't read all 13 pages but those 2 sum it up.

I bet if they force Phil out, the others will quit.  They aren't hurting for money.  I bet if they wanted they could get picked up by another station.  

I bet his is one of A&Es highest rated shows.