Phil removed from Duck Dynasty...

NoBanStan

Maybe I can make it a bit clearer for you: 1) I quoted the KJV 2) He made the claim that the word in question was of Greek origin. 3) I countered that the word is of Latin origin not Greek. Relevancy Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To clarify myself -

The.word.in.the.original.text.is.Greek. , not Latin.  And predates the Latin translation to KJV by over a thousand years. 

The Latin word you cite from KJV is not the exact Greek word cited in later translations via access to verified original text (which KJV authors did not have).

Seriously, translations improved dramatically over the 500 years, because of archeological discovery of ancient texts, especially those in the 1950's.

You are literally taking Latin vs Greek (essentially apples vs oranges). 

NO SCRIPTURE was written (well....precisely >>>) originated in Latin.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

Maybe I can make it a bit clearer for you:1) I quoted the KJV2) He made the claim that the word in question was of Greek origin.3) I countered that the word is of Latin origin not Greek.Relevancy Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dunno the relevancy, but the kjv new testament was supposedly translated from mostly greek, and the kjv old testament supposedly translated from mostly hebrew. Though some say there have been better english translations, of which I have insufficient knowledge to have an opinion.

The kjv was translated so long ago, that even in the 19th century spawning of new usa protestant religions, english had drifted far enough that the meanings of kjv verses could easily have been mis-read. The "literal meaning" of verses in the 19th century (or today) was sometimes different than the "literal meaning" when first published 1611. Even assuming that the kjv translators got the "literal meaning" correct in 1611.

i.e. what did shakespeare mean by "get thee to the nunnery"? :)

Dunno the relevancy, but the kjv new testament was supposedly translated from mostly greek, and the kjv old testament supposedly translated from mostly hebrew. Though some say there have been better english translations, of which I have insufficient knowledge to have an opinion.

The kjv was translated so long ago, that even in the 19th century spawning of new usa protestant religions, english had drifted far enough that the meanings of kjv verses could easily have been mis-read. The "literal meaning" of verses in the 19th century (or today) was sometimes different than the "literal meaning" when first published 1611. Even assuming that the kjv translators got the "literal meaning" correct in 1611.

i.e. what did shakespeare mean by "get thee to the nunnery"? :)

Translations of translations written by men, every rendition to suit the particular needs of the patriarch, sponsor or whatever of the time....to control.

I'm a KJV man myself when the need arises.  I like to work and think for myself.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

I wouldn't dwell on the Greek too much.  Their perversions are well known.

heh.

I think Tertius,  (Paul was near blind, so had assistance writing the letter) was probably a good guy

Poo.  1 Corinthians was dictated to Dr. Luke, not Tertius (who took dictation from Paul to the Romans for Paul)

Edited by R_Bert

Uh oh! Now there are reports that a video has surfaced where Phil claims that black people were happier and more godly during the Jim Crowe days. This is 'bout to get real interestin'.

edit: My bad, his comments on blacks were in GQ article, not previous bid.

Gist: All dem darkies wuz all just happy as clams and singin' Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah to the Lawd all day.

================

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," the 67-year-old reality star said in the mag's January issue about pre-Civil-Rights South. "Not once."

In fact, in his childhood experiences growing up in Vivian, La., Robertson suggested he could relate to the black struggles because he was "white trash."

"Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers," he explained. "I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field … They're singing and happy."

In his recollection, the racism that reportedly occurred between the end of slavery in 1865 and the start of the Civil Rights Movement in the late 1940s just didn't appear to be in existence in the area where he grew up.

"I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!" he said. "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

The way I'm hearing is that Phil said he used to work with them in the fields and that they never complained or had the attitude that they were victims. He said they were happy people. I guess we'll see when the video appears.

Look, we all know the LGBT folks are going to try and spin this just like they do everything else.

Translations of translations written by men, every rendition to suit the particular needs of the patriarch, sponsor or whatever of the time....to control.

I'm a KJV man myself when the need arises.  I like to work and think for myself.

Go to the original if you wish to think for yourself. Nowadays, it is available (as opposed to the 1600s)

Most Bible Study software packages have it as an option.

You can look at the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic and parse word-for-word

Edited by R_Bert

Go to the original if you wish to think for yourself. Nowadays, it is available (as opposed to the 1600s)

Most Bible Study software packages have it as an option.

You can look at the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic.

Most of us cant read or speak greek, hebrew, or aramaic so what good would the original texts do us?

Most of us cant read or speak greek, hebrew, or aramaic so what good would the original texts do us?

The software will translate per word, and give options of variation.

You put together your own transliteration.   (i.e. you learn to explain it to yourself)

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

It depends on how much a person wants to understand for themselves, and how willing they are to just believe whatever the preacher says because he's behind the pulpit. 

Too many Christians follow the preacher, too few follow Jesus. 

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. 

• Like 5

I just found an article about the video and the comments made about black people. I don't think he made those comments in the video, if I'm reading this article correctly. 

Yeah, my mistake, got them mixed up.

Black comments were in the GQ article, not 2010 vid (added to my previous post).

- OS

It depends on how much a person wants to understand for themselves, and how willing they are to just believe whatever the preacher says because he's behind the pulpit. 

Too many Christians follow the preacher, too few follow Jesus. 

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

I've seen too many preachers say something totally wrong about the Bible, I read and study mine every day. But since I only have access to the english translations then I have to rely on what I have and ask God to speak to me to understand what it means.
  • Like 1