Phil removed from Duck Dynasty...

NoBanStan

I've seen too many preachers say something totally wrong about the Bible, I read and study mine every day. But since I only have access to the english translations then I have to rely on what I have and ask God to speak to me to understand what it means.

Yep. A lot of people don't even go that far, though. 

I never even considered trying to work through the original text until I began experiencing some significant life changes and all anybody could tell me was "you're going to hell, boy". Thats when I started digging deeper because I wanted to really know for certain what the deal was. I certainly won't claim to be a Biblical scholar though. 

At the end of our time, Christians believe we will stand before God and answer for our lives, solely responsible for what we've done. Somehow, I didn't think telling the Lord "Well, preacher so and so said this" was going to cut it for me. Why didn't I make an effort, why didn't I read more, study more, and make God more of a priority. So I tried. 

• Like 5

Where do you get that from? I love it here and I wish that I could spend more time here. Am I not welcome because I don't do the circle jerk? From my observations, some people here bash the hell out of other groups of people. The minute someone is offended that happens to look like them there's a crisis. The last time that I checked this was TGO not agree with what I say or stay away.

I'm not trying to set anyone straight. I'm just giving my views like everyone else. There seems that a lot of members are feeling victimized and the country can't recover. I disagree.

Maybe I'm a little touchy. Best I can tell, everybody in this group is trying to find their way through life with the aid of some friends. You tend to criticize members of that group, and I tend to be protective. No biggie. I love your ass (but not in an inappropriate way). :)

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
This thread has me pretty lit up, and unfortunately it's not Phil Robertson or A&E that caused it.

I'll point this finger at myself before I point it at anyone else, but I think as affluent American Christians, we need to take a good hard look at ourselves in the mirror before we go judging anyone else for anything. The prophetic voice is hard to hear, and I'm not terribly certain that any of us would particularly like to hear it today. It doesn't make me really comfortable, but as I type this and think about it, the gay person in America today is a heck of a lot more marginalized than I am. And, as I read it, Jesus spent most of his time with the marginalized - much to the consternation of folks like myself.
  • Like 7

Absolutely -

an excerpt from one of our Celebrate Recovery seminars -

Matthew 9:10-13

10 Later, Matthew invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners.

11 But when the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with such scum?

12 When Jesus heard this, he said, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do.”

13 Then he added, “Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: ‘I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices. For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.”

So, our role is to show Mercy, and Compassion. Note that when Matthew went out, he brought them home. Jesus met them in Church, (which just happened to be at Matthew’s house).

Who did Christ seek to socialize with?  “disreputable sinners”! Mathew 9:10

I am so grateful to be invited into Matthew's house.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 3

This thread has me pretty lit up, and unfortunately it's not Phil Robertson or A&E that caused it.

I'll point this finger at myself before I point it at anyone else, but I think as affluent American Christians, we need to take a good hard look at ourselves in the mirror before we go judging anyone else for anything. The prophetic voice is had to hear, and I'm not terribly certain that any of us would particularly like to hear it today. It doesn't make me really comfortable, but as I type this and think about it, the gay person in America today is a heck of a lot more marginalized than I am. And, as I read it, Jesus spent most of his time with the marginalized - much to the consternation of folks like myself.

You still can't lash out at the wrong person. Phil didn't say anything more than "I don't get it". Hell, I don't get it, and have really close friends in the lifestyle. I go to their houses, and they come to mine. This is about hypersensitivity. It's about rednecks being themselves, pop tarts shaped like guns, and all that crap. People are sick of it. I'm sick of it.

• Like 3
  • Admin Team

You still can't lash out at the wrong person. Phil didn't say anything more than "I don't get it". Hell, I don't get it, and have really close friends in the lifestyle. I go to their houses, and they come to mine. This is about hypersensitivity. It's about rednecks being themselves, pop tarts shaped like guns, and all that crap. People are sick of it. I'm sick of it.

We'll then I'm certainly hellbound, because my almost three year old shot up the whole church last Sunday morning with his graham cracker he bit into the shape of a gun...

Amen. We could debate theology till Jesus comes back (or doesnt depending on your beliefs) :)   if we could limit the hyper-sensitivity to a minimal level we would all benefit

Edited by Lumber_Jack

We'll then I'm certainly hellbound, because my almost three year old shot up the whole church last Sunday morning with his graham cracker he bit into the shape of a gun...

Praying for you brother.  Suggest  Cheezits. Smaller caliber.

Amen. We could debate theology till Jesus comes back (or doesnt depending on your beliefs) :)   if we could limit the hyper-sensitivity to a minimal level we would all benefit

I'm past the point of believing there is a sane solution. I'm gonna turn into Howard Stern. Make their heads explode.

Guest Bonedaddy

Well, I think everyone has their own beliefs when it comes to religion and I can respect each and every one of them because I do believe that if I judge any one persons beliefs to be right or wrong I will also be judged. "Judge les ye be judged by the Lord God". That is why I will never be judgmental of anyone's beliefs. An experience I had while in Nam gave me the most clear sight of what my future should be. I was holding the hand of a wounded soldier knowing he was dying and also knowing he was a die-hard atheist. He looked at me and said, I am not going to make it am I? I would not lie to him and I said probably not, trying not to just be blunt. He then said something that caught me totally off guard. He said, I wish I could go to Heaven but I know I won't. I had to ask him cause I had to know. I said do you believe in Heaven and God. His words totally blew me away. He said yes and said I knew I could not live by his rules so I chose not to follow him. About 10 seconds later he died. Now I don't know about much and I won't say one way or the other but one quote in the bible immediately jump into my head.  It is  "He who believeth in me shall not parish but have ever lasting life" So since that day I have always wondered if that young Private would go to Heaven. He did believe in Heaven and he did believe in GOD but just declared himself an atheist just because he didn't live by GODS rules. I don't think I will ever forget that 15 or so minutes I got to spend with him. And I don't guess I will ever know the answer but I think about it from time to time when discussions like this come up.........jmho. 

Look up Edgar Cayce's sayings on the subject.

• Admin Team

Praying for you brother. Suggest Cheezits. Smaller caliber.

No go on the cheezits. You might make a graham cracker into a gun, but any improvised firearm he makes will turn a cheezit into a projectile.

Someone commented the other Sunday that they can tell he prefers the AR over the AK because he leans towards pew...pew...pew over pow...pow...pow.

At least we can be thankful for the small things. Pew...pew is at least semi-quiet.

But we'll take the prayers. With two older sisters, he's going to need them. :)
  • Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

....'cept people on a highway that don't use cruise control have got to BURN!!! Accept it, learn it, use it and quit ruinin' my drive!

I don't think Phil's too torn up about being taken off the show, so I don't understand your point here.

The folks that are upset seem to be the folks who took offense to what he said. Like I said in an earlier post, it's easy for them to speak up when it comes to the internet, but I bet none of them go down to Louisiana to talk to him face to face. If they did I bet Mrs Kay would even cook them lunch and they'd have a pretty good ole time. They might even leave with their minds changed about the Robertson's (especially Phil) and see that we can all get along just fine if we have an entire conversation and not just take a snippet of one and then flip out about it.

A&E is simply going to lose in this if the Robertson's take their show to another network. Lost viewers = lost revenue, simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure he is a good guy.  I am just as sure he would be enjoyable to hang out with.  Always said I love to have a beer and ride four wheelers with King Geo.II too.

But Phil has an agenda like everyone else.  He knew what he was saying would draw a firestorm of publicity.   Dude is all about some marketing.   He had money before A&E and will have more down the road.  But it is always about the money. 

I do not buy anything relating to his views and only citing religious doctrine.   It is about publicity and money.

A&E owns and controls the Duck Dynasty brand, not the Robertson family. Non-issue.

And I always find the "Jesus never addressed homosexuality" bluff to be humorous.

Jesus never contradicted Himself, so it's pretty safe to say that because He defined marriage as between a man and a woman in Matthew 19:1-8, He wouldn't have turned around and said gay marriage was OK.

they might own Duck Dynasty but do they own Duck Commander?

Jesus damns fags,  we get it.

I am pretty sure he is a good guy.  I am just as sure he would be enjoyable to hang out with.  Always said I love to have a beer and ride four wheelers with King Geo.II too.

But Phil has an agenda like everyone else.  He knew what he was saying would draw a firestorm of publicity.   Dude is all about some marketing.   He had money before A&E and will have more down the road.  But it is always about the money. 

I do not buy anything relating to his views and only citing religious doctrine.   It is about publicity and money.

I won't disagree that is' usually the case. But, Phil doesn't need the publicity or the money. He has a ballparked net worth of $15 million. That may be more than a redneck can spend (in case you never met one before).

• Like 1

I won't disagree that is' usually the case. But, Phil doesn't need the publicity or the money. He has a ballparked net worth of $15 million. That may be more than a redneck can spend (in case you never met one before).

Oh, you can put quite a lot of pickup trucks with no wheels on quite a lot of acres.