Phil removed from Duck Dynasty...

NoBanStan

[quote name="Lumber_Jack" post="1081238" timestamp="1387470674"]I disagree. I think that's Phil. What you see is who he is.[/quote] This. While some of you have not met him, I have. I promise you he is the same bible quoting, shotgun carrying, no desire for the Internet or even a cell phone person you see on the show. The shows, well they're skits the family has thought up, that's all. The "character" he plays, is just him, I honestly doubt he knows how to be anything else. I met him at an awards ceremony for the hunting show they had at the time. He was barefoot amongst a room of suits, ties, and camouflage. I'll stand beside Phil Robertson, as I wish I was nearly as close to The Lord as he is Edited by KKing
  • Like 4

I don't have cable where I now live and don't watch the show.  I think I have, maybe, seen one episode.  To me, it is just another stupid 'reality' show just like all the other 'reality' shows that became popular when the entertainment industry lost the ability, imagination and drive to actually create interesting television.  Further, I am past sick and tired of seeing Duck Dynasty/Duck Commander EVERYTHING.  It's worse that Angry frickin' Birds in the licensed product area.

I also don't really consider myself strictly a 'Christian', any more.  I was raised Southern Baptist/Christian but I have become much more of a Deist over the years.  I think of the Bible as more of a book of (mostly) good advice written by a bunch of different people over a long period of time.  And that is if you can settle on which 'translation' of the Bible is the 'real' one.

All that said, while I don't hate gays and will throw in the obligatory caveat that I have had gay friends, I simply think that homosexuality is against the natural order of things.  In that way, I think it is 'wrong' and cannot think of such a lifestyle as being in any way normal.  Of course, I also think that low-rider pickup trucks are unnatural and wrong and cannot support doing such heinous things to a perfectly good truck.

To me, the funny thing is that networks want to promote such crap as 'reality' shows but then when someone on the show has the audacity to actually be 'real' and give their honest opinion and thoughts on a subject all hell breaks loose.  The reality is that this guy believes that homosexuality is a sin - but I guess that doesn't fit in with the 'reality' that A&E is trying to fabricate.  As far as the rest of the family/cast taking action, rather than refusing to appear on the show, thereby running the risk of violating their contracts, I think that every, single member of the Duck Dynasty cast should seek out a national media outlet in which to grant an interview and, in those interviews, they should each and every one speak of their beliefs on homosexuality.  Then, in order to be consistent, A&E would be faced with either suspending every, last one of them - effectively cancelling their highest rated show - or letting it go and bringing the entire cast back.

My understanding is that Duck Commander was already a million dollar (or maybe multi-million dollar) business so the major players on the show were already pretty well rich.  If that is the case, then with the money they have already made off of the show, licensing, appearances and the like as gravy on top of that, I'd say A&E needs them a whole lot more than they need A&E.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I don't have cable where I now live and don't watch the show.  I think I have, maybe, seen one episode.  To me, it is just another stupid 'reality' show just like all the other 'reality' shows that became popular when the entertainment industry lost the ability, imagination and drive to actually create interesting television.  Further, I am past sick and tired of seeing Duck Dynasty/Duck Commander EVERYTHING.  It's worse that Angry frickin' Birds in the licensed product area...

This isn't about whether the family/Duck Commander has enough money to live on...it's not about the show (although it's not the typical "reality" show you incorrectly assume)...it's not about homosexuals or what any one person's opinion is of the homosexual lifestyle.

What it's about is Hollywood/TV networks bowing to political correctness and a tiny minority of people who MIGHT have been offended (by remarks not even made on the show but for magazine article) and seeking to quash diversity of opinion and thought.  It doesn't matter whether anyone agrees or disagrees with what he said regarding homosexuals (in answer to a direct question)...what matters is that is this county has lost the ability to allow people to hold different opinions then we've really lost something that made this nation truly great.

A&E has every right to run their network the way they want and I and every other consumer has the right to tell them to go to hell.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1
Something I should have added to my post: I honestly don't care if they in fact do let Phil back on the show, just like I can promise you Phil does not care. A&E does have the right to deny Phil any more screen time as a business, I fully understand that. The reason I'm in this is because of all the "tolerance" being showed by those who preach we should be tolerant of their way of life
  • Like 1
Guest RebelCowboySnB

Why do all  these news stories keep calling him homophobic? There is a lot that can be debated on this story but does anyone actually think his comments show he has a fear of gay people?

[quote name="RobertNashville" post="1081258" timestamp="1387473123"]...the homosexual lifestyle...[/quote] Not picking on you Robert, but can only quote one post on my phone. I keep seeing this phrase though. Could someone please tell me what the "homosexual lifestyle" is?

DD is a terrible show. They maybe good people, but DD is not good TV.  I think a lot of Christians feel the need to support DD because they are preachy.  Kinda like some Christian rock bands.  Just b/c they mention the lord doesn't mean its quality entertainment... 

I read the GQ interview. Nothing he said was really all that bad, but the old saying goes "when you're standing in crap up to your nose, it pays not to open your mouth."

The interviewer's goal was to make him look like a backwoods red neck looney toon religious zealot Beverly Hillbillies type.  Phil stepped right up and jumped in it. 

• Like 1

GK Chesterton said that bigotry is “an incapacity to conceive seriously the alternative to a proposition.” If he is right—and he usually is—then I wonder if the Duck Dynasty fiasco says more about our bigotry than Phil’s.

http://ideas.time.com/2013/12/19/the-duck-dynasty-fiasco-says-more-about-our-bigotry-than-phils/

• Like 1
[quote name="Troutburger" post="1081285" timestamp="1387476695"]DD is a terrible show. They maybe good people, but DD is not good TV. I think a lot of Christians feel the need to support DD because they are preachy. Kinda like some Christian rock bands. Just b/c they mention the lord doesn't mean its quality entertainment...[/quote] And like Chick-fil-A serves good food.
  • Admin Team

Nope, but many of us have been castigated and called names for holding the same views as Mr. Robertson. Hypocrisy in action.

As a person who does a lot of the banning around here, I can say authoritatively that no one has ever been kicked off of TGO for being a "homophobe."  You can think that gays are icky and you're going to catch it if you get to close.  We don't care.  

Where I draw the line is when a person is hateful towards another member or expresses open animosity towards a group.  We just don't need that here.  

We've got a big audience these days.  Check the front page and you'll see that we're just shy of 20,000 members.  We put a lot of effort into protecting this community, and the "family-friendliness" of it.  Frankly, you guys are responsible for a lot more of that than the staff is.  I really enjoy it when someone tells me that they don't mind their kids reading TGO as they learn about guns.  We're going to protect that.  Plain and simple.

• Like 9

And like Chick-fil-A serves good food.

I liked the evil chicken people way before they were exposed as homophobes (which was false). I have gay friends that like them too. That whole hoopla was held up by a bunch of straight, white libtards that needed some quick outrage.

[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1081288" timestamp="1387476988"]And like Chick-fil-A serves good food.[/quote] You shut your filthy mouth! I loves me some of their chicken. But....I support your right to say that. See what I did there? Hehe Edited by KKing
  • Like 1
[quote name="mikegideon" post="1081301" timestamp="1387477937"]Looks like you created a little uprising there, TDR :rofl:[/quote] Just trying to take some heat off of the gays. If it wasn't for the amazing Polynesian sauce, I don't find their food to be all that spectacular. I have been known to stop in for a chicken sandwich, just so I can get some of that sauce.
Guest Lester Weevils

One of the articles earlier posted, pointed out that A&E's core racket is producing reality shows about sad or sick people, that the viewers can either laugh at or feel sorry for or be scandalized about.

A possible theory is that Duck Dynasty was intended to be yet another show enabling city folk to laugh at dumb cajun rednecks, but they accidentally attracted an alternate audience who actually LIKE and ADMIRE the actors, rather than feeling superior or mocking of the actors. If A&E was expecting to put on yet another Jerry Springer type show, and got unexpected success from an unexpected audience, then they may consider that the success is great but the show has "careened out of their control or expectations".

So anyway, regarding homosexuality, it grosses me out to think about the icky mechanics, but on the other hand in my old age, most hetero sex grosses me out with its icky-ness as well, if it think about it too much. It didn't seem icky when I was younger, but seems kinda icky nowadays. :)

Well I think there is a big difference between someone saying that homosexual acts are a sin, based upon one's religious beliefs, and saying that gays need to stay in the closet and out of the public eye.
I don't like using the "homophobe" word because I do think that was something manufactured by the left in order to shame folks who don't hold their opinion, and that isn't a mature way to debate. I do think there are many people who are intolerant to the point they believe that gays shouldn't be open (I don't mean screaming queen open, I'm talking about just not being in the closet).
I think there are many folks who hide behind the Bible because they find homosexuality to be repulsive and threatening to their way of life. That is way different than someone who simply believes something is a sin. We all sin, so believing acts of gayness are a sin isn't being intolerant, it's just being true to your beliefs. Of course, when you start calling folks out on those sins unsolicited it has gone beyond one's beliefs and now opens you up to everything that comes with such a debate. Like with most sins, we don't take every opportunity to call folks out on them.

About as well said as it could be. I'm glad someone can articulate my line of thoughts even when I can't.

As to the whole Phil vs a&e issue. Keep this in mind, things are not always what they seem in Hollywood. This wouldn't be getting the recognition it has been if all the cards were on the table.

IMO it has been clear for awhile that Phil doesn't care one bit to be on TV or not. They've been downplaying his roll on the show considerably since the 2nd season (I haven't seen the latest season so maybe that changed?)

I'd be willing to bet my last wooden nickle that Phil simply isn't interested in the show anymore and rather than quietly take his exit, A&E opted to make a bit of controversy around his disappearance to help further boost ratings. I also believe the show is on its way out anyway. You can only stay at the top for so long and usually hit shows don't slowly lose their audience, the ratings don't slip, they plummet. They'll milk every chance they get to boost the ratings further and fatten the calf before the slaughter.

I'm reminded of awhile back when the whole sons of guns dra went down with Vince leaving the show and the production team trying to script it so it seemed that he got fired by Will. Lots of people fell for that and lots of people will fall for this.

Of course this is just MHO

As a person who does a lot of the banning around here, I can say authoritatively that no one has ever been kicked off of TGO for being a "homophobe." You can think that gays are icky and you're going to catch it if you get to close. We don't care.

Where I draw the line is when a person is hateful towards another member or expresses open animosity towards a group. We just don't need that here.

We've got a big audience these days. Check the front page and you'll see that we're just shy of 20,000 members. We put a lot of effort into protecting this community, and the "family-friendliness" of it. Frankly, you guys are responsible for a lot more of that than the staff is. I really enjoy it when someone tells me that they don't mind their kids reading TGO as they learn about guns. We're going to protect that. Plain and simple.

You'll notice that I have not claimed that anyone has been banned for expressing their opinion about this. It would be appreciated, however, if the issue could be discussed in the future without accusations of homophobia.

I notice that no one here has called Phil a "homophobe", even though he has expressed the same opinion as some of us, and yet we've been labeled as such. Guess Phil gets a level of respect that the rest of us don't.

The double standard still exists. Just pointing it out, that's all.
One thing that amazes me here, actually, amazes me anytime liberals or gays are brought up is how quick folks are to justify their actions on the old playground standard of "they started it!".

I'm guessing at some point some of you all forgot those old adages :

"Two wrongs don't make a right"

"The world ain't fair"

The first one in particular I think is very important to remember when we're out and about throwing around the whole "who is more intolerant" ball.