Phil removed from Duck Dynasty...

NoBanStan

You'll notice that I have not claimed that anyone has been banned for expressing their opinion about this. It would be appreciated, however, if the issue could be discussed in the future without accusations of homophobia.

I notice that no one here has called Phil a "homophobe", even though he has expressed the same opinion as some of us, and yet we've been labeled as such. Guess Phil gets a level of respect that the rest of us don't.

The double standard still exists. Just pointing it out, that's all.

If you can point out specific references of where you or others were called names why don't you (why didn't you) bring it to the attention of the moderators and let them look into it?  I would think they would like to know about it.

[quote name="daddyo" post="1081337" timestamp="1387482082"]You'll notice that I have not claimed that anyone has been banned for expressing their opinion about this. It would be appreciated, however, if the issue could be discussed in the future without accusations of homophobia. I notice that no one here has called Phil a "homophobe", even though he has expressed the same opinion as some of us, and yet we've been labeled as such. Guess Phil gets a level of respect that the rest of us don't. The double standard still exists. Just pointing it out, that's all.[/quote] I suspect many who are crying about being labeled - directly or indirectly - as homophobic aren't aware of the definition of the word. If you have an aversion to homosexuals an/or their so-called "lifestyle", you would be classified as being homophobic. Being labeled doesn't always give the labeled a warm and fuzzy feeling.
  • Like 1

Without Phil, after this season you will be watching reruns.

I'm not sure how his family works but I know how mine works and we are old southern Christians. (If we were the Robertsons) There would be a long long series of calls from our lawyers with F YOU! being the jist of the meanings. Sue us for whatever you want over breach of contract. We got Millions of dollars and more fan's than dollars and you know rating is a "popularity" game.

• Like 2

Dunno, but it seems one of the most common things in western history for people to pick and choose what parts of the bible to believe. Otherwise, where the heck did all those thousands of different christian sects come from?

If nobody has a choice except to either believe it or not, then why did there evolve baptists, adventists, mormons, catholics, greek/russian orthodox, coptic, presbyterian, pentecostal, etc ad infinitum? :)

As far as phil goes, his opinions do not matter to me any more than my opinions matter to him. Who cares.

Mormon is Mormon and they have chosen to add and take away from the Bible, the same Bible that states that we shall not add to or take away from it.
Catholic is Catholic and they hold some different beliefs. When a Catholic fills out something that asks their religion they write Catholic (the ones I know anyways) not Christian.
When it comes to Baptists, Methodist, Presbyterian etc.. You are talking about the same religion but with fairly small differences in interpretation. But the bible is very clear on some things and homosexuality is one of those many so there's really no room for interpretations unless you are willing to make the conscious decision that you know better than God.
I don't think that everyone has to think exactly like me but I do know exactly where I stand on certain matters and will not compromise those for anyone. You can't lump 3 different religions together and hope that I don't notice.
As far as A&E goes, I think they have a right to stick by their beliefs or lack there of just as much as Phil Robertson does. It just so happens that A&E is in the power position and has the right to do as they please even if I or anyone else thinks it's stupid. The only thing that really burns me is that it's not a 2 way street. Christians are expected to not only be tolerant of everything but to embrace it as their own and if they don't they will in the name of tolerance, bash you to a bloody pulp even if they have to lie and fabricate there story to do it.

If you can point out specific references of where you or others were called names why don't you (why didn't you) bring it to the attention of the moderators and let them look into it? I would think they would like to know about it.

Don't need any help. Thanks anyways.

Not picking on you Robert, but can only quote one post on my phone. I keep seeing this phrase though. Could someone please tell me what the "homosexual lifestyle" is?

There is no definition that I know of - when I use the term I'm simply referring to those who engage in homosexual acts.

While some homosexuals are activists I would suggest they are a minority within a minority - most homosexuals, apart for what sex they find "attractive" live pretty much the same lifestyle and varieties of lifestyle as most of the rest of society to the extent that unless they tell you there would be no indication of what sex they find attractive.

I suspect many who are crying about being labeled - directly or indirectly - as homophobic aren't aware of the definition of the word. If you have an aversion to homosexuals an/or their so-called "lifestyle", you would be classified as being homophobic. Being labeled doesn't always give the labeled a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Let's break the word down, shall we?

"Homo", meaning "same"

"Phobe", derived from "phobia" meaning "fear".

Since I have no fear of gays, then I'm not a "homophobe". What a relief.

Let's break the word down, shall we?

"Homo", meaning "same"

"Phobe", derived from "phobia" meaning "fear".

Since I have no fear of gays, then I'm not a "homophobe". What a relief.

Actually, one definition (per Websters) is "anyone who hates or fears homosexuals or treats them badly".

I don't know of anyone here who has treated homosexuals badly nor have I read anything on TGO that would lead me to believe anyone here has "fear" of homosexuals but I've certainly read some posts where the words seem pretty hateful toward homosexuals. As such, there may well have been times were the term was properly used/applied.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

Actually, the definition is "anyone who hates or fears homosexuals or treats them badly".

I don't know of anyone here who has treated homosexuals badly...nor have I read anything on TGO that would lead me to believe anyone here has "fear' of homosexuals but I've certainly read some posts where the words seem pretty hateful to me. As such, there may well have been times were the term was properly used/applied.

Examples?

This isn't about whether the family/Duck Commander has enough money to live on...it's not about the show (although it's not the typical "reality" show you incorrectly assume)...it's not about homosexuals or what any one person's opinion is of the homosexual lifestyle.

What it's about is Hollywood/TV networks bowing to political correctness and a tiny minority of people who MIGHT have been offended (by remarks not even made on the show but for magazine article) and seeking to quash diversity of opinion and thought. It doesn't matter whether anyone agrees or disagrees with what he said regarding homosexuals (in answer to a direct question)...what matters is that is this county has lost the ability to allow people to hold different opinions then we've really lost something that made this nation truly great.

A&E has every right to run their network the way they want and I and every other consumer has the right to tell them to go to hell.

Yes^
[quote name="RobertNashville" post="1081364" timestamp="1387484151"]Actually, the definition is "anyone who hates or fears homosexuals or treats them badly".[/quote] In the most simplistic sense of the word, that would be correct. Homophobe: Pronunciation: ˌhō-mə-ˈfō-bē-ə Function: noun Date: 1969 : irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals a·ver·sion (-vûrzhn, -shn) n. 1. A fixed, intense dislike; repugnance: formed an aversion to crowds. 2. The cause or object of such a feeling. 3. The avoidance of a thing, situation, or behavior because it has been associated with an unpleasant or painful stimulus. 4. Obsolete The act of turning away or averting.

I haven't read all the comments, so maybe this has already been mentioned, but Phil has already said that he isn't going to be on the show much anymore. He is tired of it. If you watched last season, in most of the episodes he had a very limited role, often only being there for the closing 'supper table' scene. A&E, of course, is well aware of his lack of interest in doing the show. So 'suspending' him doesn't really change anything in practice. Especially considering that next season is already complete. 

• Like 1
[quote name="Luke E." post="1081375" timestamp="1387484738"]I'm going to have to unsubscribe to this thread! Because my phone haas been going nuts all day and battery life is suffering :) I don't think I've ever seen a thread on here take off and maintain momentum like this one has.[/quote] WAIT!!!!! One more thing.....

Actually, I wasn't offering to "help". What I was suggesting was that, instead of just complaining about these alleged name calling incidents, that you actually DO something about them.

Oh, you mean like tattling? That might be your style, but it's not mine. Got better things to do than go around tattling on folks. Besides, it's not very nice.

Since you are unwilling to offer up examples to illustrate your assertions; why in the world should I spend time offering examples to illustrate my point? :shrug:

Anyway, I'm sure you are as capable as I am in using the search function here!

That's what I thought. LOL
Saw this on Facebook today:

"Man on TV disagrees with LGBT lifestyle - the left explodes with indignation. Islamic world subjects gays to violent murder just for being gay - silence.

I think we've found the double standard."

That about sums it up.
  • Like 5