Phil removed from Duck Dynasty...

NoBanStan

Not to "butt" in to your conversation with DaddyO but your use of "the homosexual" I find amusing and archaic.  This quote is the second and third usage of the term in this thread.

You do know that is the basest of stereotypical thought, right?  I honestly don't care, just wanted to be all smart pointing that out.  :D

Sorry...I don't get it...if you are tying to make a joke it didn't register with me; sorry! LOL

I use the word "homosexual" because it's the proper term for someone who is sexually attracted to people of the same sex (which is predominantly what we are taking about in this thread)...I see nothing stereotypical about it any more than I would using the word heterosexual to describe those who are sexually attracted to the opposite sex.

Sorry...I don't get it...if you are tying to make a joke it didn't register with me; sorry! LOL

I use the word "homosexual" because it's the proper term for someone who is sexually attracted to people of the same sex (which is predominantly what we are taking about in this thread)...I see nothing stereotypical about it any more than I would using the word heterosexual to describe those who are sexually attracted to the opposite sex.

You are saying "the homosexual" not just plain homosexuals.  It's like describing them all as one common entity.  Similar speech was used in the past referring to a group of people that is different from you or one has issues with.  For example, in WWII we were fighting "the jap", many don't like "the jew",etc. 

Maybe you don't realize you're doing it but it find it amusing.  That's all I was pointing out.

• Like 1

You are saying "the homosexual" not just plain homosexuals.  It's like describing them all as one common entity.  Similar speech was used in the past referring to a group of people that is different from you or one has issues with.  For example, in WWII we were fighting "the jap", many don't like "the jew",etc. 

Maybe you don't realize you're doing it but it find it amusing.  That's all I was pointing out.

Well...I think you are applying a good deal more meaning to the word "the" than is really there...I'm not using it any differently than if I was talking about "the truck"..."the ball", etc. etc. If I was talking about a specific person who happened to be homosexual then I'd refer to the person's name...when speaking generally "the" is the correct term to use (at least as I understand the rules of English!).

By the way..."jap" may correctly be determined as a derogatory term we were fighting the Japanese and the Germans and a few others as well! :)

Edited by RobertNashville

Well...I think you are applying a good deal more meaning to the word "the" than is really there...I'm not using it any differently than if I was talking about "the truck"..."the ball", etc. etc. If I was talking about a specific person who happened to be homosexual then I'd refer to the person's name...when speaking generally "the" is the correct term to use (at least as I understand the rules of English!).

By the way..."jap" may correctly be determined as a derogatory term we were fighting the Japanese and the Germans and a few others as well! :)

Wait till you learn what the meaning of "is" is!!! :popcorn: :rofl:

• Like 2
Guest Lester Weevils

Mormon is Mormon and they have chosen to add and take away from the Bible, the same Bible that states that we shall not add to or take away from it.
Catholic is Catholic and they hold some different beliefs. When a Catholic fills out something that asks their religion they write Catholic (the ones I know anyways) not Christian.
When it comes to Baptists, Methodist, Presbyterian etc.. You are talking about the same religion but with fairly small differences in interpretation. But the bible is very clear on some things and homosexuality is one of those many so there's really no room for interpretations unless you are willing to make the conscious decision that you know better than God.
I don't think that everyone has to think exactly like me but I do know exactly where I stand on certain matters and will not compromise those for anyone. You can't lump 3 different religions together and hope that I don't notice.

I was raised s. baptist, but haven't paid attention to theology for a long time.

If I was to get interested in it again, would be inclined to study up on the greek orthodox and coptics, which MAY be among the most ancient sects, and possibly closer in both geography and "the original intent" or "what they were thinking about 1600-to-1900 years ago".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copts

The Copts are the native Christians of Egypt, a major ethnoreligious group in Egypt and the largest Christian group there. Christianity was the religion of the vast majority from 400–800 A.D. and the majority after the Muslim conquest until the mid-10th century [13] and remains the faith of a significant minority population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Orthodox

The name Greek Orthodox Church (Monotonic Greek: Ελληνορθόδοξη Εκκλησία, Polytonic: Ἑλληνορθόδοξη Ἑκκλησία, IPA: [elinorˈθoðoksi ekliˈsia]) is a term referring to the body of several Churches[1][2][3] within the larger communion of Eastern Orthodox Christianity, whose liturgy is or was traditionally conducted in Koine Greek,[4] the original language of the New Testament.[5][6] Today, several of these Churches conduct their services in Arabic, the common language of most of their faithful, while at the same time maintaining elements of Greek cultural tradition. The current territory of the Greek Orthodox Churches more or less covers the areas in the Eastern Mediterranean that used to be a part of the Byzantine Empire. The origins of the Orthodox Church can be traced back to the churches which the Apostles founded in the Balkans and the Middle East during the first century A.D.,[7][8][9][10][11][12][13] and it maintains many traditions practiced in the ancient Church.[13] Among these traditions are the use of incense, Liturgical Worship, Priesthood, making the sign of the cross, etc. Greek Orthodox Churches, unlike the Catholic Church, have no Bishopric head, such as a Pope, and hold the belief that Christ is the head of the Church. However, they are each governed by a committee of Bishops, called the Holy Synod, with one central Bishop holding the honorary title of "first among equals."

Just sayin, it MAY be that them thar folks might know a little more about it than religions founded by early USA itenerant country preachers 1800 years later, who apparently tended to base their theology on "cultural context-free" literal reading of an english translation. Some say "not the most accurate english translation." But I have no idea. :)

But I'm just talking to be wasting oxygen. Doesn't matter to me what people believe, as long as it makes em happy.

I was raised s. baptist, but haven't paid attention to theology for a long time.

If I was to get interested in it again, would be inclined to study up on the greek orthodox and coptics, which MAY be among the most ancient sects, and possibly closer in both geography and "the original intent" or "what they were thinking about 1600-to-1900 years ago".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Orthodox

Just sayin, it MAY be that them thar folks might know a little more about it than religions founded by early USA itenerant country preachers 1800 years later, who apparently tended to base their theology on "cultural context-free" literal reading of an english translation. Some say "not the most accurate english translation." But I have no idea. :)

But I'm just talking to be wasting oxygen. Doesn't matter to me what people believe, as long as it makes em happy.

If your ever interested in a theological discussion on the Russian/Greek Orthodox Church let me know.

I'm not the guy to have the debate with but my father is a sub deacon. He loves to have chats with anyone interested, especially if it pertains to the history behind the church.

If your ever interested in a theological discussion on the Russian/Greek Orthodox Church let me know.

I'm not the guy to have the debate with but my father is a sub deacon. He loves to have chats with anyone interested, especially if it pertains to the history behind the church.

Orthodox branch, like the Catholic,  includes the Apocrypha in their Bible -- includes two great stories of Daniel playing detective (Susanna and The Elders, and Bel and the Dragon). Always found some of the extra texts pretty interesting.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Like I said in a blog post about this issue, the claims that this is about freedom of speech is laughable on several levels. First, nobody is saying Phil can't express his views. All A&E did was say he can't use their network to promote them and they don't want to be associated with him or his views any longer. Second, like any freedom, exercising it comes with personal responsibility. You are free to say pretty much anything you want, and there may be consequences to what you say. If you want to say something you know is controversial, you have to own the consequences. You walk into your boss' office and cuss her/him up one side of the room and down the other, you're going to get fired. That's not a violation of your free speech rights. Third, there are multiple examples of conservatives and Christians calling for the firing of liberal pundits. I have seen first hand on this forum multiple incidents of people with opposing viewpoints being insulted and run off for expressing them. These debates are never about tolerance or free speech; they are about people demanding to have their voice heard while demanding to have other people's ideas shut down.

Personally, I think what the guy said was inappropriate and smacked of ignorance. If one really thinks that acceptance of what two people do in the privacy of their own homes will lead to bestiality, I don't know what to do with them. If one thinks that Southern blacks during the pre-civil rights era weren't unhappy and never complained because you saw them singing songs in the fields, that is ignorant. I'll protect his right to say it, I respect the ability of a private employer to determine the standards for acceptable conduct from those they employ, and I also say he should have the opportunity to redeem himself if he chooses to. That is the Christian way.

Edit: And it only took me about 5 minutes to determine that DD was one of the worst shows I have ever seen, Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 7
  • Admin Team

Orthodox branch, like the Catholic, includes the Apocrypha in their Bible -- includes two great stories of Daniel playing detective (Susanna and The Elders, and Bel and the Dragon). Always found some of the extra texts pretty interesting.

- OS

Interesting side note - the original 1611 translation of the King James Bible included the apocryphal texts.

This won't make sense to you unless you come from tradition where it matters, in which case you'll totally understand. It can really blow some peoples' minds when they find out that 'fun fact'.
  • Like 2

I have thought long about this.  Phil Robertson has no business placing judgement on anyone.  In Christianity I believe only one being makes judgement calls.  

I am also sure that if you believe in God that you were created in his image, and that has a lot to do with why only God may pass judgement.

Phil woke up one day on third base and thought he hit a triple.  Just another person out of tune with reality.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1
[quote name="Mike.357" post="1081619" timestamp="1387515571"]I have thought long about this. Phil Robertson has no business placing judgement on anyone. In Christianity I believe only one being makes judgement calls. I am also sure that if you believe in God that you were created in his image, and that has a lot to do with why only God may pass judgement. Phil woke up one day on third base and thought he hit a triple. Just another person out of tune with reality.[/quote] To my understanding Phil didn't cast judgement on anyone, he simply said that according to the bible what they were doing was wrong. Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]
  • Like 1

I guess the PC masses think its wrong to believe in adam and eve instead of Adam and Steve. I'll bet Phil is til happy happy happy. qu4ape5e.jpg Sent from my iPhone using [url="http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1"]Tapatalk[/url] 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Edited by Dustbuster
[quote name="Mike.357" post="1081619" timestamp="1387515571"]I have thought long about this. Phil Robertson has no business placing judgement on anyone. In Christianity I believe only one being makes judgement calls. I am also sure that if you believe in God that you were created in his image, and that has a lot to do with why only God may pass judgement. Phil woke up one day on third base and thought he hit a triple. Just another person out of tune with reality.[/quote] If you're going to comment, at least have the witts to actually read what the man said. I know you haven't, because his words strictly contradict what you just wrote about "placing judgement". Instead of thinking, I believe you should have done some reading. No, I did not just judge you
  • Like 5
Guest Bonedaddy

To my understanding Phil didn't cast judgement on anyone, he simply said that according to the bible what they were doing was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. There are plenty of interviews and statements on the show stating that and that he loves everyone equally and that it's God's job to sort us all out. He doesn't pass judgement on no one that I've seen. All he did was quote the bible that he happens to believe in completely and he didn't say that one thing leads to the other, just that all these other thing such as bestiality, spilling your seed on the ground, etc...are included in that sin. One branch can hold many rotten apples. This is just a publicity stunt by A&E that I can see, since he was already going to leave the show after the season that's in the can, anyway and has stated that several times. Just a ratings riser for what is likely their last season. Sad thing is....it'll probably work. You can see that much in this thread.

I do find one thing strange. The third page of the GQ interview online , is now gone. If I'm not mistaken, that's the page where he states clearly that he loves everyone regardless, and that's there's only one that can judge. Strange indeed

If you're going to comment, at least have the witts to actually read what the man said. I know you haven't, because his words strictly contradict what you just wrote about "placing judgement". Instead of thinking, I believe you should have done some reading. No, I did not just judge you

see my above post.

he thought about it before he said anything.  He can say he is not placing judgement, but then he places judgement.  He can word it however he sees fit.

Thanks for judging my witts.