S&W 460 blows off mans thumb. He sues.

K191145

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?aid=107343.54928.119471

Now before I mention that this man should have known not to do this, I must admit before I knew a little something about revolvers as a younger man, I did the same thing with a .357 magnum. It didn't injure me but it was like a fire cracker going off in my hand. I have never done that again, lesson learned and I have stopped others from doing that and I'm sure to tell anyone I'm teaching about revolvers not to grasp any revolver with the left hand in front of the cylinder.

I don't believe in the law suit but if I were the president of a company that made revolvers I would put that in the operators manual.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I have to say is "DUH!"

That's just like the dummy years back that sued McDonalds because she put a hot cup of coffee between her lags and burnt "something".

With just about everything, there is assumed risk and it's usually your own stupidity that causes injuries.

p.s. I was hoping there was a youtube video link. You sure know how to disappoint someone. :)

Wow, that’s bad news for S&W. I would have never thought that could sever a thumb off.

I worked for a machine tool manufacturer and not only did we have to try to protect dumb asses, but we could be held liable for injuries when operators intentionally bypassed safety devices.

All I have to say is "DUH!"

That's just like the dummy years back that sued McDonalds because she put a hot cup of coffee between her lags and burnt "something".

With just about everything, there is assumed risk and it's usually your own stupidity that causes injuries.

p.s. I was hoping there was a youtube video link. You sure know how to disappoint someone. :)

We are all capable of doing something dumb every now and then but I agree, it was still his fault and if he was a seasoned hunter, perhaps he should have known not to do that. That usually happens to those who are not familiar with revolvers.

Unfortunatly, he will probably get a settlement and I bet S&W will add that to their operators manual. That maybe a good idea for anyone who teaches a CCW class to add that bit of information.

I remember seeing pics of a guy's hand, in which he states the tip of his thumb was blown off by gas from the cylinder gap.

There is a thread on The High Road about this incident: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=391097. On page 3, post #69, someone posted the pics I remembered seeing. Not sure if pics are of the same guy that is now suing S&W.

Note: The pics are not for those that are squeamish.

Guest pjblurton

"Brown's wife, Kathy, also is suing Smith & Wesson for the loss of the services of her husband. She is seeking an unspecified amount of money for damages."

Gee.... I wonder what he did to his wife with that thumb....

We are all capable of doing something dumb every now and then but I agree, it was still his fault and if he was a seasoned hunter, perhaps he should have known not to do that.

I agree.

I was resizing some brass one night and I "forgot" to move my finger and rammed the decapping pin through my fingernail on my index finger. :eek:Granted the injury was no where near as severe, but I didn't file a lawsuit with Lee because it wasn't in their instruction. There is assumed risk. As some people may say, it's a self correcting mistake. :D

I agree.

I was resizing some brass one night and I "forgot" to move my finger and rammed the decapping pin through my fingernail on my index finger. :eek:Granted the injury was no where near as severe, but I didn't file a lawsuit with Lee because it wasn't in their instruction. There is assumed risk. As some people may say, it's a self correcting mistake. :D

Are we going to have to give you some safety gear for reloading spiff? ;)

Maybe you need to wear thimbles on your fingers when your doin that.:lol:

Well the stupid bastard can sue Bill Clinton and the Arkansas Board of Education and the NEA ! He can't read and its all someone elses fault!

Screw the folks that can't handle life

While I'm ranting, you smokers that keep throwing your butts out the car window.....I'm gonna throw my wad of chew off my bike and see if you like folks throwing crap. The only bad thing is my projectile won't be burning....ass wipes!

I'm in a foul mood! Can ya tell?

While I'm ranting, you smokers that keep throwing your butts out the car window.....I'm gonna throw my wad of chew off my bike and see if you like folks throwing crap. The only bad thing is my projectile won't be burning....ass wipes!

I'm in a foul mood! Can ya tell?

I can't stand folks that throw crap out of their window, "it's only a cigerette butt", yea so those filters do not decompose. On top of that you can start a fire or flip it out your window and hit some poor sucker on a bike.:D

if the gases cut or blew his thumb off, there wouldn't likely be blood spraying, it would have sliced it and cauterized the wound. This guy's BS on so many levels. at least that's how it looks to me :D

Edited by fizik

I'm thinking of beginning to return folks trash to them in the middle of the night. If you find your cig butt crammed in your door or under your wipers, it was probably me...get over it, I'm just returning what you dropped.

Sorry for stepping in your thread, rant off

Edited by Rightwinger
apology to OP for crashing thread
Just download S/W Revolver safety/instruction manual.

It's there...in BIG RED PRINT.

- OS

Then that's their defense, the bozo should have read the instruction manual, S&W did warn him not to do that. Sounds like typical gold diggers to me. I hope S&W doesn't settle and takes it to court.

Of course I no longer need to be reminded, my only excuse is that I was a dumb kid when I did that. Funny thing is, it stung but brought no blood and I think it was a S&W model 19. Of course there's a big difference between a .357 and a .460.

I'm thinking of beginning to return folks trash to them in the middle of the night. If you find your cig butt crammed in your door or under your wipers, it was probably me...get over it, I'm just returning what you dropped.

Sorry for stepping in your thread, rant off

You know whats good to keep on a bike!?

A Crown bag filled with marbles!

People riding your ass will not ever do it again once they have a hand full of marbles hurled at their windshields! :lol:

I suppose one could use them after getting burned by a cig too....

You know whats good to keep on a bike!?

A Crown bag filled with marbles!

People riding your ass will not ever do it again once they have a hand full of marbles hurled at their windshields! :lol:

I suppose one could use them after getting burned by a cig too....

I hate those signs on dump trucks that say, "Not responsible for road objects". B.S., If their gravel falls out of the back of their truck and dings my vehicle they are responsible. I wanted to make a sticker that says, "Not responsible for high velocity lead objects comming from vehicle" :D

Of course I wouldn't brandish my handgun over it but I would raise some hell with the company.