.32ACP rifle?!

graycrait

I'm thinking I need a .32ACP rifle but would like to look at rifles or carbines, semi, single or whatever action.  Right now I am not interested in the cartridge conversions but I may go that route.  Anyone with experience with a .32ACP long gun or even the cartridge conversions.  I'm thinking reloadable subsonics for plinking, small game hunting and suppressed.

Thanks,

Craig in Clarksville 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything except the chamber inserts.  Plus, if I had to make a guess, I'd bet that after passing less than 16" of barrel, the .32 auto will have peaked and started to lose velocity.  And it ain't exactly smokin' to begin with.

But if you're looking for a quiet, unsuppressed, round.  That would be a prime candidate.  Just be careful that you don't get a bullet stuck in the barrel.

BUT, if you're going to handload, have you considered loading a cast .32 bullet in a 7.62x39 case with a light charge of fast-burning pistol powder?  I've played around with that a bit in an SKS.  Never nailed down an optimum load, but I'm sure there is one out there.

With a .32 acp-like load, it won't cycle the action.  

Myself, I was just looking for a plinking/light game load.  One that would be light and quiet enough to make the SKS a bolt action.  

Maybe I'll get to do some more experimenting this weekend.  If I stumble on a good load, I'll post it.

Will

Seems "my" idea is like all my ideas,a day late and a dollar short.  Lots of guys have done this, shooting subsonic cast loads for a quiet woodswalking rifle.  THose Dreyse semis cost over 1000.00 bucks easy and the price keeps going up.

Here are some links that relate to this:

I'm collecting links on how to get a rifle in .32ACP.  Please take some time to peruse through the last link, which is some essays and projects by Ed Harris, creator of Ed's Red.  

Saw this here: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-94199.html

I have a Steven favorite rechambered from .32 rim fire to .32 S&W Long. It will fire .32acp too! It is quiet! I also, like 444 have chamber adapters in .303 British for my Martini BSA , and 30-06 and .308 for quiet tim

Reviews aren't inspiring.

easier to read but no pics:

Thoughts by Ed Harris:

I have a Steven favorite rechambered from .32 rim fire to .32 S&W Long. It will fire .32acp too! It is quiet! I also, like 444 have chamber adapters in .303 British for my Martini BSA , and 30-06 and .308 for quiet tim

Now that you mentioned it, I think this was a common alteration once the rimfire ammo dried up. You could probably watch gunbroker a while and find one of these for a fair price.

Thanks for the tips guys. Converting a Remington 580 makes the most sense for the weight I am looking for. If that doesn't look promising I can always have a H&R .410 stubbed or have a barrel made for a Savage Axis.  The Encore or Contender is possible as is a Martini but then those will take some saving.  Several barrel companies make barrels for .32ACP with 1:16 twist and in a pinch 7.62 barrels or even a .303 can be rechambered. I'm hoping to find a Rem 580 in a pawn shop one of these days. 

There were two that I know of, both collectible to some degree.  The Dreyse Model 107 .32acp rifle and the AR-like Armi Jager AP 74.  All other .32ACP rifles I have come across are DIY.  There used to be a boy's rifle in .32 rimfire that is pretty common and there are a few .32 S&W rifles, mostly DIY as far as I can tell.  I'm really wanting a .32acp to use like a .22LR when .22LR is not available, which for all intents and purposes it isn't available in the types and prices I like.       

Thanks for the tips guys. Converting a Remington 580 makes the most sense for the weight I am looking for. If that doesn't look promising I can always have a H&R .410 stubbed or have a barrel made for a Savage Axis.  The Encore or Contender is possible as is a Martini but then those will take some saving.  Several barrel companies make barrels for .32ACP with 1:16 twist and in a pinch 7.62 barrels or even a .303 can be rechambered. I'm hoping to find a Rem 580 in a pawn shop one of these days. 

How about relining a .223 barrel in a H&R or Rossi with a .32 liner.  http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/barrel-liners/centerfire-barrel-liner-prod10976.aspx

I haven't stubbed or relined a barrel, but I have plans to do both.  I think relining is easier since you don't absolutely need a lathe to do it.

I have a friend in Birmingham, AL who thinks stubbing is easy to do.  However, Dolomite thinks rebarrelling a 580 is the cats meow and thinks doing something with a Savage .223 is a possibility.  Relining with a .32 blank would be neat if I could get the liner in 1:16 twist.  The key with the .32ACP is that it is "semi" rimmed with a narrower rim than other .32 rimmed ammo.  If I could ensure accuracy out to 50 yards with a .32ACP reload I would get a barrel done in .327 Magnum so I could shoot all the ".32's" including .32 H&R, .32 S&W Long. 

Reading this thread has gotten me thinking (which makes my head hurt  :drunk: )...

A few months ago, I found a good deal on a used .22 "Cricket".  It was going to be my little boy's first rifle, but I'm not a huge fan of the quality, so I'm going to get him a Savage "Rascal" instead.  So.....

What to do with this one?  I'm a tinkerer, so I thought about relining it to .22 mag or one of the .17 rimfires.  But...

I just remembered that I have a barrel taken off a Lee-Enfield.  The rifling is good, but the chamber was all buggered up.  I'm pretty sure I can take a piece of that barrel and fit it to the Cricket.  Cut a .32 ACP chamber, open the bolt face and make the bolt a centerfire instead of a rimfire.  And VIOLA!  A handy, quiet little carbine.

Need to do some math regarding the bolt thrust, but I'm pretty sure it will be safe.

You are going to exceed the safe pressures in the cricket. If I could find a blank with the correct bore I might make one in 25 ACP.

No need to reline the factory barrel. Inside the front stock screw hole is a set screw. Loosen it and the factory barrel slides right out. Take the replacement barrel and lathe the OD to match the factory barrel. Chamber and you are done. This is how I made a barrel for mine using a GM blank.

I wasn't going to reline it for the .32  Just turn down the barrel to fit the receiver.  Of course, that would be the easier thing to do with other rimfire rounds too, I imagine.

Are you certain about the pressure?  Factory pressure of a .32 acp is less than a .22 lr.  Of course then you have a larger cartridge, less chamber wall, more bolt thrust, etc.

What did you rebarrel yours to?  

I kept mine 22lr.

There definitely a lot more bolt thrust.

I say go for it but I would not fire it once. It may survive once or 100 times but I would bet it would eventually fail.

If you can find a Remington 580, 581, 591 they are much better. They were rumor to be for center fire but were chambered in rimfires out of fear it would outsell the more popular models. They have 6 locking lugs at the rear which makes it perfect got pistol calibers. People have converted them to several high pressure cartridges. I know I am planning 32 or 380 ACP for mind. It will handle that plus a lot more

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I'm on the hunt for a single shot 580 or 590 myself. I'm going to cruise some pawn shops today and have a few friends on the look out.  While I am out I will look for a H&R .410 single shot too, in case I can get it stubbed.  One way or the other I want a light weight .32ACP rifle.  I've got a lot of .32ACP and some hand me down reloading gear, so this would give me some incentive to learn to reload.   

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/d0933cdef91e8cd8f029270c1d12342f-947.html

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=9887&forum_id=8&jump_to=69567

http://www.homegunsmith.com/Archive/T1284.html

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/10/survival-aspects-of-cartridge.html

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?195891-32-ACP-carbine-SHTF-critter-getter/page2&s=42920d2c8adc39a9845db52b7f17a1ae

I have a Remington 580 which was converted to centerfire and fitted with a .30 cal., 10-inch twist barrel and chambered in. 32 ACP using the front portion of a .30M1 carbine reamer, so that it would have a proper rifle type throat, and also headspace on the casemouth, like a .45 ACP.

Mine is a single shot and uses a pinned in barrel. A new bolthead was fabricatedand fitted with an M16 extractor, and modified to use a shortened M16 firing pin. Using cast #3118 Ideal 115-grain .32-20 bullets and 1 grain of Bullseye it is almost entirely silent, like a .30 cal.CB cap. It also shoots well with ordinary. 32 ACP ammo, but is louder. Accuracy with the best loads is about 3/4" at 25 yards and about 2" at 50 yards with 4Xscope. A good .22 LR with match ammo is less expensive, as quiet and more accurate.