I am so tired of liers

LI0NSFAN

I have been looking at some classifieds (guns and cars). The number one lie is "all original", when it is clearly not. Here are 2 examples

1971 shortbed pick up. It was a fair price because the ad said it was all original parts and restored. I looked at the picks and notice right away that was a lie. First it had 1990's bucket seat, a CD player, the floor had a cut in it where they had change it from a manual to an automatic, lastly and most annoying was that it had an S10 bed on it. It was a good job, everything looked like they had done everything right but IT WAS NOT ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!

Next was a Sks it was listed as an unfired numbers matching. After reading the discription an looking at the pics you find out that the rifle has forced matched pieces, bayonet that was not even correct for the rifle, and was beat up to the point it had to be a combat weapon. The price was fair for a mint sks but a beat up non matching sks the price was high.

Why do people think they can get away with lies like that? These were by far not the only classified I have found with massive lies in. These were just the 2 I saw today. Ok rant over.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I get tired of it too. We have been passively looking at houses and some of the flat out lies is amazing. We found a decent house that was over an hour one way. We looked at the pictures and called the realtor. Said the pictures matched the house and that is was a deal. We drove over an hour and couldn't find the house, well not the house in the pictures. The porch was falling down, the roof was sagging and the interior was junk. Fixtures missing, wiring hanging out of the walls as well as the appliances being gone. I called the realtor back and she acted surprised but then came clean and said the pictures were from a remodel 20+ years earlier. That really upset me. And it seems pretty common for them to not mention obvious things like water damage or mold. Been to a few houses that had sheetrock falling down from water damage but the realtor never mentioned it. Another thing I absolutely hate is when a realtor reads me the ad word for word from the website I got their contact number from. And one more thing that bothers me is when the contact realtor on a property has never actually been to the property.

Another great line I like is "It is broken in". I have had people try to tell me their used gun is worth more than the new one because they spent a few hundred dollars in ammunition breaking the gun in. Or that because the gunsmith charged them $50 to sight it in I should pay that as well.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
Back when I was an Army SEAL sniper I used a matching numbers SKS to take down an enemy sniper at a thousand yards. He was driving a '71 shortbed. Strange coincidence huh?

*sorry, can't tell you any more about it, it's classified. Edited by Caster
  • Like 15

I use to think the same, but honestly I think 1 out of 10 tire kickers know their stuff, the other 9 take the bait and are happy. 

My wife had a rude awakening when she met me.  I do my homework on all purchases to the point of being asinine.  However, my wife's father is a impulse gullible buyer and absolutely does no homework.  I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl!  Its unbelievable what bait honest educated people will take.

• Like 1
I saw it all the time in the hot rod world. Lots of drag motors with "5 tuning passes". Yeah tuning in a 250 wet shot of nitrous on a 12:1 big block lol. My favorite is "has a slight tick, probably a lifter" then you get there and the rod bearings are hammering so bad you can't hear the exhaust. Guns are a big one also. My idea of lightly used is not what most people think of as lightly used it would seem. Most of the time it looks like a battlefield pick up with a shot out barrel. As for values, I saw this is the car and gun world. This is how I imagine people rate gun prices and car horsepower. Example Stock Honda Civic 175 bhp Exhaust advertised as adds up to 10 horsepower Intake advertised to add up to 10 horsepower Tuner advertised to add up to 30 horsepower Add all the highest numbers together and now they think their civic makes 225 whp. And they will advertise it as such. On guns they will add up the individual cost of the accessories new, total it with the new gun cost, add in the cost of any ammo they have using match grade prices, and now thats what the gun is worth. Ok rant off. Tapatalk ate my spelling.
I drove 180 miles each way once to buy a Toyota Celica Gts for my wife that was supposed to be "pristine"... could not tell alot about the pictures...so I asked several specific questions...make the trip...get there and I get out and I say...sir if thats the car that I called about and you answered my questions the way you did just dont say a word...I'll just leave...if you say anything other than this is not the car Im gonna swell your #*#*#*#* eyes shut...he never said a word...and I left a wiser human being.... Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

"BUYER BEWARE", my Dad told me this years ago.

Never take the word of a "sales person" (PC), as they make money on how well they lie.

Every buy I make is well thought out.

Do you "need" it, price is not an issue,(ie) water bill, you need water.

Do you "want" it, well price is some thing to think about, (ie) pistol ,condition, age, price.

Yeah, I get tired of it too. We have been passively looking at houses and some of the flat out lies is amazing. We found a decent house that was over an hour one way. We looked at the pictures and called the realtor. Said the pictures matched the house and that is was a deal. We drove over an hour and couldn't find the house, well not the house in the pictures. The porch was falling down, the roof was sagging and the interior was junk. Fixtures missing, wiring hanging out of the walls as well as the appliances being gone. I called the realtor back and she acted surprised but then came clean and said the pictures were from a remodel 20+ years earlier. That really upset me. And it seems pretty common for them to not mention obvious things like water damage or mold. Been to a few houses that had sheetrock falling down from water damage but the realtor never mentioned it. Another thing I absolutely hate is when a realtor reads me the ad word for word from the website I got their contact number from. And one more thing that bothers me is when the contact realtor on a property has never actually been to the property.

Another great line I like is "It is broken in". I have had people try to tell me their used gun is worth more than the new one because they spent a few hundred dollars in ammunition breaking the gun in. Or that because the gunsmith charged them $50 to sight it in I should pay that as well.

I have been house hunting for over a year, the garbage that people try to sell is mind numbing.

While I agree all of my guns are "rare". They belong to me and only me. No one else. I sometimes allow others to shoot them but they are mine.

What makes them so rare is they are mine and not yours. 

Once you get your gun it will be rare as no one else owns it. There may be many like it but it is yours, not theirs.

:D

Lp

• Like 1

I question everything a seller tells me, not because I think everybody is a liar but because a lot of people have no idea what they're selling. I see that the most with horse stuff. Somebody always wanted a horse, buys a bunch of stuff, and knows nothing about it other than what the person they bought it from told them. 

I drove 600 miles one weekend, from Dickson to Crossville to Fayetteville to Bowling Green looking at horse trailers. Oh, they're all in great shape! Just like new! Some little old lady used it to carry her cart mule down to the park once a year! One in Crossville had  bent axle, Fayetteville had a moron turn loose with a welder in it, etc. "No rust" means "I can't see the rust unless I take the mats out." "Lights work" means the tail lights come on when you hit the turn signal. The one I love is "Has good brakes, but not hooked up." No, they are connected. They just don't work. :lol: Finally, the trailer I wound up buying had 'Four new tires'. Considering the four tires were three different brands, and the only two of them that matched had a 2001 date code (same year as the trailer) somehow I don't think they were new. They were fairly sound though, and everything else about the trailer seemed right so I bought it anyway.

If you really want a laugh, go look at some horse for sale ads. Some people are genuinely honest, but never used the horse for anything other than standing in a field looking pretty or walking down a trail with other horses. They think the animal is well trained, when it reality it's just following the leader and they have no real control over it. Put it in an arena and this 'well trained' horse is suddenly lost and confused. Then there are the folks intentionally dumping bad animals. "It's just too much horse" is all too often code for "this horse has been ruined on one type of rodeo event and is now borderline uncontrollable." I've shown up to look at sweet, gentle horses that were so drugged they could barely hold their head up. "Oh, we just gave him some Ace so he would be calm for the ride home if you bought him." Yeah. Sure you did.  :shake: I could go on, just like anyone that's ever bought and sold anything regularly could. You have to know what you're buying, and know what problems you're looking for. 

• Like 2

I wish I could be that way when selling items but I have an issue of when I am selling anything I point out all the flaws it has and then let the person make a decision if they want to buy it or not. I was taught as a child that your reputation is who you are and I want folks to leave my home with a good taste in their mouth if they have purchased something from me that I told them if the item had any issues I didn't hide them............jmho

• Like 2
I kinda resent the fact that someone stated that all salesmen make more money the better they lie. Poor salesmen do lie to there customers. Good salesmen help a customer make an informed decision. Being a salesman, it really makes it hard to help someone make an informed decision when they assume you are lying to them. A salesman who lies has the same problem as a person that lies. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

I use to think the same, but honestly I think 1 out of 10 tire kickers know their stuff, the other 9 take the bait and are happy. 

My wife had a rude awakening when she met me.  I do my homework on all purchases to the point of being asinine.  However, my wife's father is a impulse gullible buyer and absolutely does no homework.  I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl!  Its unbelievable what bait honest educated people will take.

Your not being asinine, I'm exactly the same way, your only asinine to the seller looking for an uninformed buyer, people hate it when you know more about what they are selling than they do. 

[quote name="56FordGuy" post="1085378" timestamp="1388245624"]I question everything a seller tells me, not because I think everybody is a liar but because a lot of people have no idea what they're selling. I see that the most with horse stuff. Somebody always wanted a horse, buys a bunch of stuff, and knows nothing about it other than what the person they bought it from told them. I drove 600 miles one weekend, from Dickson to Crossville to Fayetteville to Bowling Green looking at horse trailers. Oh, they're all in great shape! Just like new! Some little old lady used it to carry her cart mule down to the park once a year! One in Crossville had bent axle, Fayetteville had a moron turn loose with a welder in it, etc. "No rust" means "I can't see the rust unless I take the mats out." "Lights work" means the tail lights come on when you hit the turn signal. The one I love is "Has good brakes, but not hooked up." No, they are connected. They just don't work. :lol: Finally, the trailer I wound up buying had 'Four new tires'. Considering the four tires were three different brands, and the only two of them that matched had a 2001 date code (same year as the trailer) somehow I don't think they were new. They were fairly sound though, and everything else about the trailer seemed right so I bought it anyway. If you really want a laugh, go look at some horse for sale ads. Some people are genuinely honest, but never used the horse for anything other than standing in a field looking pretty or walking down a trail with other horses. They think the animal is well trained, when it reality it's just following the leader and they have no real control over it. Put it in an arena and this 'well trained' horse is suddenly lost and confused. Then there are the folks intentionally dumping bad animals. "It's just too much horse" is all too often code for "this horse has been ruined on one type of rodeo event and is now borderline uncontrollable." I've shown up to look at sweet, gentle horses that were so drugged they could barely hold their head up. "Oh, we just gave him some Ace so he would be calm for the ride home if you bought him." Yeah. Sure you did. :shake: I could go on, just like anyone that's ever bought and sold anything regularly could. You have to know what you're buying, and know what problems you're looking for. [/quote]my little brother bought a horse one time, was told he was in perfect health because they just had a vet check him.also told him he was "kid broke" for riding. That dang horse tried to kill me when I rode him! And he died three days later (not because I rode it...) Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I had a guy tell me that he had a brand new intake for $50. When I go to pick it up it isn't new and he has raised his price beyond new. When I ask why it was so much they said I probably wouldn't have drove all the way if I had know what he was really asking and that now that I am there I guess I may as well buy it. Then when I refuse he gets upset that I have wasted all his time by stepping out of the office of his shop.

And when I got upset his excuse was that the intake was broken in. I guess the welded up cracks and helicoils were part of the break in process.